Non-Dairy Coffee Creamer

Options
caitlinrose1991
caitlinrose1991 Posts: 1 Member
We all know that dairy products are high in fat and calories, as well as our favorite coffee creamers such as Coffee Mate. Well here is a healthier, lower calorie alternative that everyone can enjoy!

Vanilla Rice Creamer

1 cup rice milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp honey

This makes 1 cup (8 oz) of coffee creamer, totaling up to only 25 calories per ounce. Please refrigerate!

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    no offense, but no way. I use lowfat (not nonfat cause that tastes bad) half and half or skim milk (for my lattes). Not all dairy products are high in fat and calories. Fake dairy makes me sad. 2 TBS of the lowfat Land o Lakes half and half is only 25 calories too.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Purely for calories, I would stick with dairy for sure - a tablespoon of half and half is not many calories and more than enough for a cup of coffee IMO. However, for those who can't have dairy, many brands sell coconut, almond, or soy based creamers that would be much creamier than one made with just rice milk.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Fake dairy is soooo sad..... i'll stick to 2% milk...What on earth is rice "milk" anyways?
  • SnappyDresser
    SnappyDresser Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I had some rice dream on hand (allergic to dairy), so I tried it, and it was pretty good and was kind of nice to have a little bit of variety in my afternoon cup of coffee. I happened upon this earlier and I made it. Your efforts were not in vain and I appreciate your time and thoughtfulness to post. :)
  • SnappyDresser
    Options
    What is most disturbing, your first and only post, and you got unkindly snarked. That is soooo sad. There are many nice people here, so trudge on and find them. Don't be discouraged, and above all, ignore the sneaky snarky comments. They are obvious.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    To the haters, NOT everyone can have dairy. Thanks for the post op.
  • SnappyDresser
    Options
    I made a 2nd batch this morning, with a little changeup to OP original Vanilla version.
    I added 1/2 tsp of Coconut Extract but with only 1/2 tsp of the Vanilla Extract.
    OP original is like Vanilla Creamer. My change reminds me of the Coconut Creamer.
    I don't like those Coffeemate brand's ingredients and have used only a few times.
    They might taste okay, but this is much healthier.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I like almond milk better myself and it comes in vanilla and chocolate flavours too. It just seems to have a bit more body than rice milk and looks better (more milk-like, lol) in the mug. Good idea though, better than those weird 'edible oil products'.

How does one make a low fat oil product anyhow? Just weird.
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Silk has a GREAT almond based hazelnut coffee creamer, 15cals a Tbsp, worth a try!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Most creamers in the dairy case ie-Coffee Mate/International Delight are non dairy. And for 15 calories a serving for sugar free varieties... I'll take that instead.
  • jeannes1026
    jeannes1026 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Powdered milk does well too, and non fat
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Today on a vegan blog I saw a new powdered coconut coffee creamer called coconutcloud. It's vegan, non gmo and has no carrageenan -huge plus for me. I have no idea about the calories.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened cashew milk in my coffee. Though, I've ALWAYS disliked cream (even before trying to lose weight) so it wasn't a difficult transition from 1% milk.

One sweetener and 1/3 cup cashew milk makes each coffee about 10 calories :)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I thought the almond milk ones tasted gritty. Haven't tried rice yet.

My goto lately has been International Delight, because with the dairy, it's really the cholesterol that I'm supposed to be cutting out. I was a two tablespoons of cream and a spoonful of raw-sugar girl. I miss real cream. :(
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Most creamers in the dairy case ie-Coffee Mate/International Delight are non dairy. And for 15 calories a serving for sugar free varieties... I'll take that instead.

Actually, nondairy products still have dairy protein in them and can cause issues for those of us that can't have any dairy.

I do prefer the coconut milk creamer over rice milk, but I too like the o.p suggestion as making your own is always great.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Trader joes has great ones in vanilla (blue) and hazelnut (brown) they're really tasty.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    On weekends I pour 4 ounces of skim milk in my mug and microwave it for a minute. Then I pour fresh hot coffee into it. Delicious! On weekdays I drink it black, unsweetened. It tastes better than you might imagine.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Love rice milk!
  • SnappyDresser
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Love rice milk!

Ditto on Rice Milk.

@cbelc2 I've been trying black espresso in past few months, I have to agree, it's not awful but when you really take time to taste it, it's good sipping. Maybe an acquired taste?