Scales Scales Scales!

Options
Am I the only one that is not using a scale weekly?

A friend of mine told me that the # does not matter if you like what you see. I have to AGREE! I can't drop the lbs when I'm building muscle, so not stepping on the scale has helped my confidence tremendously! Just a recommendation for those that get depressed about a # like I used to.
:)

Replies

• alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever weigh myself. I find that I obsess too much over what I lost/didn't lose. I now measure and weigh myself once a month to gauge my progress level. I make my fiance hide the scale :D
  • BudhiRooh
    BudhiRooh Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i get depressed while using a scale too but it keeps me on track ... i seem to fall of the track once i stop tracking my weight and I weigh in myself daily which is super crazy ... :P
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I didn't even own a scale...until I found myself at 200 pounds - and I would have never guessed my own weight. It kind of creeps up.

Now I pay much closer attention. Up or down, it's merely a data point.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I want to get to a healthy weight so for me it's not just about how I look. In my 20's I was 9 stone which is about the middle range for the right weight for my height, but it wasn't maintainable. Everyone said I was too thin, thought I was ill. So I eventually learnt not to just go on looks but what the scale says too. I know for me 11 -12 stone is good for me so need to use the scales to know when I'm at that weight.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I dont own a scale, so I only check on my weight when I stop by the doc's office and get weighed there - about once every 6-8 weeks. I use clothing and how it fits to keep me motivated - it has worked a treat since October 2015 and the loss of 65 lbs
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I weigh every few months or so. I can tell immediately if I've put on a few lbs because of the way my clothes fit/body looks.
  • tamaraworrall
    tamaraworrall Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to not weigh myself like I used to as everyone keeps saying go by your clothes and how they feel
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Not using a scale is how I ended up being 213 pounds. So yeah, I use it.

But really OP... you don't have weight to lose, and it doesn't look like you ever did... That's certainly not the same situation as most people here...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no you aren't OP...I don't use it often.

about every 10 days...or 14.

I don't need a scale to let me know how my clothing feels...I can tell if I am up a lb or two.

mainly because the difference between a size 4 and a size 6 is about 4lbs.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Not using a scale is how I ended up being 213 pounds. So yeah, I use it.

But really OP... you don't have weight to lose, and it doesn't look like you ever did... That's certainly not the same situation as most people here...

This^

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I like to know that I'm in my goal range as I got overweight in the first place by not weighing myself. ..I step on the scales most days.
  • alicerogers159
    alicerogers159 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hate to play the devil's advocate, but I love the scale. I stopped weighing myself this year and gained twenty pounds. I started weighing myself a month and a half ago and have lost eight. I weigh myself daily and find that I obsess about it less if I know the number. But I don't let it affect my self esteem if I've gained a pound or two because all that matters is whether or not if think I look good :)
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I like the scale. It is honest, where as I am very good at lying to myself. Not weighing myself allows me to ignore my weight, to let it creep up. A scale is not my only measure of success, but it is additional information that allows me to know what is working and what is not.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    You can't control what you don't measure.
  • joolie1234
    joolie1234 Posts: 126 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am in maintenance and I step on the scale daily. Like Heatherheyns said, it's good info and it keeps me honest.
  • AmandaIsherwood3
    AmandaIsherwood3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Before I joined mfp I used to weigh myself and make a note of it in my phone calendar, sometimes it was once a week other times I would go weeks without logging it, I noticed my weight would creep up. Now I'm on mfp I weigh and log all my foods, everything even when I have a bad day. I weigh and measure my body every Friday. For me I like to know my weight, I try to aim for a 1lb drop on the scale each week
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I stopped using a scale (a couple of big moves, a hysterectomy etc...) and thats how I went from the 140s to 167. Had I been weighing myself I may not have gotten to 167. Lesson learned and now I'm weighing in weekly.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I'm petrified of weight creep..
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Each scale is made differently.I have two different scales in my Doctors office used two weeks apart tell me two different things