Carb cycling ???

Options
Has anyone ever had great success with carb cycling ?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This topic comes up a lot, and never gets many, if any replies.

Sorry can't be of help to you. I naturally kinda carb cycle, some days are high, others low. I don't think it makes a great deal of difference to the average dieter. I think it may be more popular in the body building circles.

Here's an article I had bookmarked

http://www.muscleforlife.com/the-definitive-guide-to-carb-cycling/
  • nessa4al
    nessa4al Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    If your primary goal is to lose weight, focus on a calorie deficit. Don't over-complicated it.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If low carb suits you then Just go low carb, and if you find your weight lifting is suffering then try upping carbs on those days. Until you are at a higher level of lifting you don't have to worry much about it.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    carb cycling is a waste of time
  • marytfitness
    marytfitness Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A post I read from a coach regarding carb cycling:

"One simply needs to view net energy intake for the week to be able to determine that having different amounts of carbohydrates per day won’t affect your weight loss or ability to reach low levels of body fat. Here is a simple example of it making zero difference towards your net energy intake for the week. A coach has you divide your carbs amongst the week in a low, medium and high carb day fashion. Sunday – 30g carbs, Monday – 85g carbs, Tuesday – 150g carbs, Wednesday – 30g carbs, Thursday – 85g carbs, Friday – 150g carbs and Saturday – 30g carbs. This would give you a weekly carb total of 560g and would net the exact same body composition results if you had set your carbs to 80g per day across all seven days of the week; 7x80 = 560. This is just one example, as you can see a carb cycle can be setup in many ways but the weekly carbs would be the same regardless.

Next, let’s take a look at what scientific studies show us when randomized controlled trials are conducted in metabolic wards comparing various diet strategies (low carb vs low fat).For the record, no metabolic ward study has ever found statistically greater fat-derived weight loss on an isocaloric low-carb diet. Unlike free-living studies, where the researchers have essentially no control over what the subjects actually put into their mouths, ward studies are conducted in a research facility where the participants are under the watchful eye of the research staff.

Studies:

No difference in rate of weight loss was noted in a carb dominate or fat dominate diet. Bortz WM et al; 1968

The results of this study showed that it was energy intake, not nutrient composition that determined weight loss in response to low-energy diets. Golay A et al; 1996 and Lewis SB et al; 1977

No difference between the low-carbohydrate and the conventional low-fat diet on weight loss and no indication of an increased metabolic rate and an increased thermogenesis by the low-carbohydrate diet. Erlanson-Albertsson C et al; 2005

The diet which consisted almost entirely of protein did not spare body protein better or induce a greater rate of weight loss than did the mixture of protein and carbohydrate. Yang MU et al; 1981

Both diets resulted in similar weight loss and changes in body composition. GD Brinkworth et al; 2009

Caloric balance is the major determinant of weight loss. Diets that reduce caloric intake result in weight loss regardless of macronutrient composition. Freedman MR et al; 2001

In the present meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials comparing low-carbohydrate diets with low-fat diets, we found that both diets were equally effective at reducing body weight and waist circumference. Tian Hu et al; 2012

When the protein content was held constant and fat was substituted for carbohydrate, the mean 24-h energy expenditure of the control groups did not differ. The difference in 24-h energy expenditure between the high-carbohydrate and high-fat diets was not different. As shown in an additional 8 separate research studies on diet composition by the following researchers: Astrup A et al 1994, Whitehead JM et al 1996, Abbott WG et al 1990, Yerboeket-van de Venne WP et al 1996, Lean ME et al 1988, W V Rumpler et al 1991, J O Hill et al 1991, C D Thomas et al 1992

I’ve included 15 different scientific citations that all poke holes in the claims that one form of dieting is better than the other. Losing weight can be summarized with the following, CALORIES MATTER MOST! You lose weight because you are in an energy deficit, not because of how you choose to structure your macronutrients throughout the week or the exclusion of one macronutrient over another. Your diet doesn’t need a fancy name or special products. For weight loss, all your diet needs is calorie restriction."
  • Christine_72
    Options

Can you elaborate a bit :wink:
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options

for most people trying to lose weight it just unnecessarily complicates things, you have to constantly juggle your macros around each day which can be a pita while it offers no fat loss advantage over a straight deficit, it only really comes in useful for people trying to get ultra lean, e.g. going from 10% bf to 6%.
  • Wishdog
    Wishdog Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had success doing carb cycling about a decade ago or so. But I was in much better shape then.
    The basic rule was to keep it under some number of carbs on all weekdays. I don't remember the number but it was small but reasonable. So MTWTF you watch your calories and your carbs. Saturday and Sunday you just watch your calories. You gotta do that to keep your liver with enough glycogen.
    I'm not really sure how much better or worse it was than just plain calorie counting, but because you aren't as deprived of food on the weekends, even though you're keeping your calorie numbers good then, it feels like a treat. Treats are important sometimes.
    I'm currently trying to lose some fat and I'm just watching the calories, but I go heavy on protein and fat because they burn so slow. Whole milk, eggs, cottage cheese, seed and nuts, real salt of the earth type stuff.
  • Christine_72
    Options

for most people trying to lose weight it just unnecessarily complicates things, you have to constantly juggle your macros around each day which can be a pita while it offers no fat loss advantage over a straight deficit, it only really comes in useful for people trying to get ultra lean, e.g. going from 10% bf to 6%.

Thanks, makes sense :smile:
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    yo7zhmpuhlzk.jpeg
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I don't know what that means.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    yo7zhmpuhlzk.jpeg

I love this graphic.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Carb cycling works great for endurance runners, lifters or athletes in general. To loose weight, nope.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Yep, it's more of a technique used by bodybuilders and pro's to get stage ready, not really advantageous for the average dieter.
    I don't know what that means.

Do you mean the graphic? It means calories are the biggest factor when wanting to lose weight.
  • OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    yo7zhmpuhlzk.jpeg

Wouldn't carb cycling fall under macros though?

I lost a majority of my weight when I was carb cycling, but it was mostly due to the calorie deficit.

More specifically, the plan I followed was called the metabolic diet. It was great at the time because I loved how it made me feel during the low carb periods. I felt strong, mentally alert, and never bloated.

The carb ups at first felt uncomfortable because it really is a shock to your body after the initial low carb phase, but it goes away after the first few. I ended up stopping because I have less time to cook and prepare meals so a more balanced approach has been the best option for me.