I am concerned...

Options
cenright0
cenright0 Posts: 80 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
ok, so here's my story. I am not a diagnosed diabetic HOWEVER, I started eating low carb (50 grams or less) on feb 15th in an effort to lose 10-15 lbs. Out of curiousity I bought a blood glucometer in late March to just see what my blood sugar levels were because I had NO idea and I kinda found it interesting that different foods effect blood sugar and satiety differently. I guess I wanted to monitor mine a bit to see if I have any foods I should be careful of or avoid. So here is what I found out:

1. My fasting blood sugar averages from 100-124!! (Even now that I am almost three months in to eating low carb!!)
2. This would not concern me as much except this result showed after almost a month and half of very low carb eating! If anything my fasting level should be waaaay less -right?
3. This makes me wonder was I prediabetic back in early February before I started this woe but didn't realize it??
4. The good news is my blood sugar through the day hovers around 90-97 and I have never seen it get higher than 123 60min after meals. So I know the foods I'm eating are keeping my blood sugar steady and I don't have huge swings. A good think I hope?
5. As I researched the "dawn syndrome" that someone pointed out I may be experiencing I became even more concerned because everything I read alludes that diabetic people are the only people that experience "dawn syndrome or phenomenon" (higher blood sugar numbers in the early morning).

Wondering if I should go see my doctor with this new info?? Do all things point to me being prediabetic?

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I am not diabetic and my doctor told me to hold steady at 100 fasting was perfect.
  • cenright0
    Options
    I have not seen my doctor yet. It never even crossed my mind that I could be prediabetic until I saw my blood glucose numbers and realized my morning numbers are not decreasing. I've been trying to read as much info as possible and educate myself thru this process but yet also realize my doctor is my main go to.
  • cenright0
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    I am not diabetic and my doctor told me to hold steady at 100 fasting was perfect.

That makes feel better! Diabetes is a whole new topic for me that I have never been educated on. I have not known much about it until I started taking my blood sugar levels and saw my results and doing some research.
  • sun_tzu
    sun_tzu Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am not a medical professional, but I have a child with Type 1 Diabetes (T1D), and am very familiar with glucose monitoring and insulin correction. The goal is 100, but we do not administer any insulin unless glucose is above 150. A glucose level from 80-120 is considered normal for most people.

My opinion (which you should not listen to since I am just some idiot on the interweb) is that you are fine.

Like SWellz said, go see your doctor.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    cenright0 wrote: »
    I have not seen my doctor yet. It never even crossed my mind that I could be prediabetic until I saw my blood glucose numbers and realized my morning numbers are not decreasing. I've been trying to read as much info as possible and educate myself thru this process but yet also realize my doctor is my main go to.

Go to your doctor.

• kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I would say keep a dairy of your bloodlevels along with questions you might have and make an appointment with your Doctor to dicuss the issues
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    OP, visiting your doctor is an excellent idea. Lowering blood sugar sometimes takes a while, even months. 100-124 isn't too bad, but your doctor will most likely order a blood test called an A1C to determine whether you are diabetic or not, and if so, whether to treat it or wait three months to see if the new diet corrects your blood sugar. Keep track of your sugars, both fasting and post-prandial (about 2 hours after eating) and show them to your doctor when you go.
  • cenright0
    Options
    Thank you I am using an app called sugar sense to track my blood sugar. These are my averages:

185nvpas0v9s.jpg
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    When you say "fasting," how much time exactly are you going without eating. Keep in mind that protein and fat do not provide the same spike in BG that carbs do, but they do increase your BG by smaller amounts for a much longer period of time... as many as 12-14 hours from fat.

Having said that, I am a "double diabetic" (I have both type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes) and know that current research indicates serious risk of long-term complications occurs with sustained BG of 140 mg/dl or higher. If you are remaining in the 120's when not fasting also, then you are below the level of complication risk.

If your dr. is concerned, ask for a referral to see an endocrinologist.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

That makes feel better! Diabetes is a whole new topic for me that I have never been educated on. I have not known much about it until I started taking my blood sugar levels and saw my results and doing some research.

You should still see your doctor
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    See your doctor. Get your A1C bloodwork done. I do not understand your numbers at all. We use a different measuring system. As a type 2 diabetic my goal is to be between 4 and 7. Do not take blood sugar for 2 hours after meals.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

I was diagnosed with pre diabetes at 101, so that's seems odd. But interesting.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    There's a common thread in these replies: see your doctor. Not a good idea to get medical advice on an internet forum--we're not doctors, and any reputable doctor wouldn't try to diagnose you over a forum but would want to see you in the office. Take all these results with you; most doctors would probably have an easier time diagnosing people with that kind of information. It's good that you're monitoring so carefully!
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Thank you I am using an app called sugar sense to track my blood sugar. These are my averages:

185nvpas0v9s.jpg

These blood sugars are actually pretty good. Having an A1C drawn wouldn't be a bad idea, though, if your doc thinks it's necessary.
  • cenright0
    Options
    I have an appt with my doctor may 18th.