Stuck

I have been going hard at diet and exercise for the last few months. I am at the gym 6 days a week doing cardio for over an hour and some weight training.. minimal..I eat a banana and a nutrigrain bar and snack on some nuts during the day and usually have a good dinner. I am eating about 1000 to 1300 calories per day. The weight was coming off but now not so much. I am 6 ft tall and currently weight 236lbs. I have lost 25 so far.. why am I staying at the same weight? All I drink is water too..am I not eating enough? My goal is 1550cal please help..

Replies

• gabe2261
    gabe2261 Posts: 15 Member
    You wouldn't stop losing if you weren't eating enough.
    opening your diary would help people see what is actually going on.

I think it's open now..
  • gabe2261

OK now it must be.. I know I've had a few days where I have had some drinks but I usually don't go over my calorie limit..
  • gabe2261
    No I don't weigh anything. I will be though. My son was recently diagnosed type one diabetic so I'll have to. With my exercise though I am usually a fair amount under my calories..
  • rjm157
    rjm157 Posts: 1 Member
    I have read that not eating enough calories to fuel your workouts can slow down your weight loss. There are probably better sources than this: http://www.coachcalorie.com/not-eating-enough-calories-to-lose-weight/
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Yup, the only way to really know how many calories your eating is to weigh each thing you eat, get the exact calories for that item and everything else you eat. You'll see its a lot more than 100-1300 calories.
  • gabe2261
    edited May 2016
    I will start weighing my food...just not sure where i need to be for my calorie goal.. I don't think mfp is that accurate..but what do I know. I figure if I work out almost everyday, eat minimal calories and i feel ok that it should come off.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    gabe2261 wrote: »
    No I don't weigh anything. I will be though. My son was recently diagnosed type one diabetic so I'll have to. With my exercise though I am usually a fair amount under my calories..

If you don't weigh your foods there is no way you can say you are under your calories...
    We don't burn as much with exercise as the database would lead us to believe either.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    You aren't burning 800~ cals in one hour of exercise and you're eating more than 1300. Weigh your food and don't rely on exercise for your deficit.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Try to eat more food like it's found in nature and less that comes out of a factory. Google a Mediterranean diet. Plant a garden with that boy and learn to love vegetables.
  • dwaterfield
    dwaterfield Posts: 34 Member
    In addition to the other advice everyone's already given, keep in mind that weight loss is not a straight line. I will hit the occasional plateau and then suddenly drop several pounds. I don't do anything different but that's just how my body works. Looking at the graph in My Fitness Pal, I seem to hit plateaus like that every two months or so. No idea why it happens but it does eventually end.
  • Sohsen
    Sohsen Posts: 18 Member
    edited May 2016
    It's not all about calories. You have to play with your macros. Change it up. What is your body type?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    I found that weighing as absolutely essential to my journey. This knowledge made even more sense when I started working in the food industry (grocery and prepared/packaged food) and learned that, in order to avoid fines and fees companies routinely overfill their packages. In the US, companies are allowed to overfill the package or container by up to 20%, and routinely do... it's a measure to make sure that any errors in weight are "in favor" of the customer.

I almost never find a product that is actually 1 serving for those single serving packages... usually closer to 1.1 or 1.2 servings. Weighing all solid foods and measuring all liquids allowed me to tighten up my logging immensely which was very important to achieving my goals.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Sohsen wrote: »
    It's not all about calories. You have to play with your macros. Change it up. What is your body type?

Even with the "wrong" macros, OP would be losing weight if she was in a deficit.
  • gabe2261
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, all good advice! :)
  • ALG775
    ALG775 Posts: 247 Member
    In addition to the other advice everyone's already given, keep in mind that weight loss is not a straight line. I will hit the occasional plateau and then suddenly drop several pounds. I don't do anything different but that's just how my body works. Looking at the graph in My Fitness Pal, I seem to hit plateaus like that every two months or so. No idea why it happens but it does eventually end.

YES. I will have a big whoosh- then be around the same or even go up a pound or two for 3 to 5 weeks, then have another whoosh down. I have to remind myself of this pattern. As you continue on the journey, you'll learn your own particular pattern.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    edited May 2016
    What they said about weight loss not being linear. Here's my 1-year graph:
    txyohnzs07d6.png

The reason the end is so flat is that i'll write my daily weight in a bathroom notebook, and then catch up on that a couple weeks at a time at MFP.

But the weighing and measuring, yes. I've gotten pretty good at estimating - I know what a quarter-cup of nuts looks like in my hand, and a half-cup of rice on my plate -- but I still check my eye frequently.

Though if you're eating pre-sliced cheese and the label says "1 slice, 90 calories," that works, too.

A slice of homemade meatloaf or stew, not so much. I'll either weigh the whole thing and then the slice, or I'll figure out the number of cups and serve myself from a 1-cup ladle. A cookbook program that works out the number of calories per cup or whatever is useful. I've also plugged ingredients into the recipe tool here. I'll often put an entire stew recipe into 1-quart containers, which makes figuring the number of cups easy, even if it means washing some of them immediately.