Spinning....Is it really all the :::::RAVE:::::?

Options
So I've been at my Journey for about 2 months and I'm hearing over and over that spinning is one of the best things to do as far as cardio....I’m interested to hear some opinions about it because quite frankly I'm scared as ::::HELL::: I tried it once before and the seat was way too uncomfortable...What are your thoughts and Any Tips? Is it really all the rave I've been hearing?

P.S. ADD ME I CAN USE ALL THE SUPPORT!! THANKS :happy:

7398624.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    One of the women at work does it 3 times a week - she's really fit.

She keeps asking me to come along but I'm sure i'd just make a fool of myself.

I'd be interested to hear the answers
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    So I've been at my Journey for about 2 months and I'm hearing over and over that spinning is one of the best things to do as far as cardio....I’m interested to hear some opinions about it because quite frankly I'm scared as ::::HELL::: I tried it once before and the seat was way too uncomfortable...What are your thoughts and Any Tips? Is it really all the rave I've been hearing?

7398624.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

ME TOO!!! :indifferent:
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    it takes a while to get use to the seat to be honest with you. but i love it. i do it once or twice a week.
  • genie98
    genie98 Posts: 62
    Options
    I did not like it. I guess everyone has things that they like though.
  • sarahtroupe
    sarahtroupe Posts: 164
    Options
    I love spinning it took me a week to get use to the seat but after that I was fine.. the gym that I go to my spinning instructor keeps us in a fat burning zone in 45 min i usually burn about 400-455 depending on my mood..... so i sweat alot but i would rather run lol cause im at a runner:))) but I think you should give it another try:)
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I love spinning! The seat issue does get better but you can also get a padded saddle cover as well as what I like to call padded *kitten* pants :laugh: (biker shorts with some padding on the butt for this sort of thing. I was told (and agree with) that you have to try it three times. If you hate it after three classes then it is probably not for you but most people really take to it after the third class. I was the same way. I thought I was going to die the first class but I promised I would go to three. The second class was ok but by the third I was hooked. Its a great calorie burner! I would average about 700 calories for my hour long class :happy:
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Well, I started spinning about a year ago. I was also afraid to take it thinking that it would be really difficult etc. The thing that is great about spinning is that you can increase and decrease your own tension. If the instructor says give me your 70% effort you decide what your 70% is. As you get fitter your 70% can become what your 100% used to be. I can say that the seats are uncomfortable and they do take time to get used to but it is a great workout. My cardio has improved a ton, my butt and legs are way more toned and I absoloutely love it! I don't own a HRM so I have no idea what my actual calorie burn is but I imagine it is pretty great. I recommend trying it again!
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I love spinning.

Your bottom will "toughen up" after a bit. That was probably one of the worst things about it.

I love love love it. I'm not that coordinated, so it's better for me than all the dance-y aerobics classes.

It's an amazing calorie burn. Today, 676 cals for 45 minute class. Normally take a 60 min. class and burn between 800-1000 cals. It is killer hard, but you can take breaks (ie slow down, sit down vs stand, back off on the tension) as needed. (I use a heart rate monitor to get the numbers).

I take one class a week, usually, sometimes two.

Nothing to fear but fear itself. HIGHLY recommend.
  • Elmendes
    Elmendes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It is a GREAT workout and the amount of calories you can burn is amazing. You will get used to the seat after a few classes or you can buy a padded seat cover to put on the seat. Good Luck! I would recommend wearing a heart rate monitor !
  • Charlotte012
    Charlotte012 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    spinning is the best thing ever! I love it. The seat is not a problem for me because I bike a lot. You have to bike 2-3 consecutive days and it won't hurt anymore. You can also buy a soft seat and bring it to the spinning class.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    after the first time i went, i swore i would never go and embarass myself like that again... but i braved up after 6 months of working out, and now i love it!! it just burns so many calories in a much funner than the ellipticals boring manor. but i had to get really sick of my usual work outs in order to try it again. i am glad i did!
  • pattygirl120
    pattygirl120 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Target sells these gel cushions that look like seats that you can put over the seat. It just slips on and off. I LOVE it. It makes even outdoor bike rides easy.
  • jenjenlv
    jenjenlv Posts: 42
    Options
    I've been super scared to do it... so after years of that, I jumped in this last Monday and thought, worst case scenario, I will leave the room with my head down and never go back in there... I made it through the whole class, pacing myself and pushing hard... My butt did hurt like heck!! but I burnt close to 500 calories in one hr. I have heard of people burning close to 1000!! in an hour class, so it's a great work out!!
    I went back the next day and ALL last week!! I however, took a small towel to put on my seat to try and help the pain from the seat, it helped and I am going back this week! :) been burning 600 calories or so every time so now I love it!!
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Well I like it and I reckon the instructors at my gym know what they're doing. Today I burned 571 cals in a 43 minute spinning class (I have a heart rate monitor and I'm 177 pounds!) and I reckon I'm improving loss-wise since I started doing more spinning.

xx
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love spinning - I've been taking classes for almost 5-6 years now. I gone through many cycling shorts - lol. Seriously though, these shorts make a huge difference comfort-wise. The odd time I didn't wear them, I was very uncomfortable.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Spinning is cardio. You'll get the same benefits from spinning as with any other form of cardio--assuming you are working at the same intensity.

So there is no reason to take up spinning if you don't enjoy it just because "someone" said it was a "great" exercise. If you are not sure but think you might like it, then it is worth spending the time to adapt to the specific demands of the workout movement so that you can exert yourself at an effective level.

As I said, cardio is cardio--at least from a physical standpoint. However, there are other behavioral/psychological factors involved as well. The most basic are that if you enjoy the exercise experience and believe in its efficacy, then you are much more likely to stay consistent and push yourself at a quality level. I think that is the true basis for the success that some people experience with spinning classes.

The group atmosphere, the energy, the creativity and energy of the instructor, the group accountability, and, not the least, the longer minutes of many spinning classes all contribute to make what was normally a middle-tier exercise modality (stationary cycling) and turn it into something more effective.

People who like it work harder and exercise for more minutes--pretty simple recipe for success.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I say you should try it if you are interested. That's what life is all about :)
    Personally, my booty can't handle it, but riding in a car hurts me too. Swimming is an awesome calorie burner too if the spinning doesn't work out.
  • Shua456
    Shua456 Posts: 211
    Options
    I just took my first spinning class on Saturday. I got the bike in the back corner of the room so that no one was able to watch me but I was able to follow along by watching others.

It was HARD but I was able to keep up (even though I did it at a lower gear than the rest of the class) and according to MFP I burned 569 calories in an hour. I was dripping sweat though and I could definitely feel the workout.

The thing I liked about the class is that there is no choreography like in zumba (which I also love) so really there is no embarrassing yourself. Anyone can pedal a bike! Yes, the seat was hard but for most of the class we weren't on the seat so it wasn't that much of an issue.

One warning though, the next day my thighs were killing me. It was painful just to walk up and down the stairs. I'm still a little sore today but not too bad. You will definitely feel this workout the first few times until you get used to it.

I'll go back but probably only once a week. I'm trying not to do the same workout more than once a week. That will help me to not get bored with any one particular workout but also force me to work different parts of my body on different days.
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    You might like to check out this article and the related ones at the bottom of it. It makes some suggestions for good cardio exercises http://graemethomasonline.com/are-you-wasting-your-cardio-time/