Thoughts on this TIME mag article?

2»

Replies

• saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    It's Lustig. Why would he want anyone to be able to lose weight without buying his book and coming to his clinic? Preferably again and again. Of course he would throw you out if you mentioned calories; it would demonstrate that you have a fundamental knowledge of the relationship between calories in and calories out so wouldn't fall for his BS.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    It makes a lot of sense to me because simply counting calories IS inaccurate and it doesn't address the variations in biochemistry. There are so many factors, biochemistry and genetics, physical activity, wide differences in calculating both food and exercise. I've read that they are finding that we need nearly twice as much exercise as previously thought to burn a single calorie. These inaccuracies make dealing with diet/exercise frustrating at best. I am learning to be less concerned about raw numbers and use them only as guidelines rather than gospel. I'm looking at how my clothing fits and how I look in the mirror. If I'm satisfied with how I look and my clothes fit well, I don't really care if I'm not on my exact target goal.

No to all of that.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html/

The law of large numbers applies here. With any sufficiently big set of data, variance matters less and less. Meaning, unless you only pay attention to your calorie intake once in a blue moon, consistency and adjusting beats all that stuff.

Good read. Saving for future use.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    So I haven't read all the comments or the article for that matter but there's a lot to be said for mindful eating and not counting calories. I lost 100 pounds not counting calories and maintained for over 5 years. When I start counting 100percent I get obsessive and don't get any additional benefits. Everyone is different. Some people need to count calories to know when enough is enough. Others are good at mindful eating and some people can just figure what's better for them and not have an issue. There's no right or wrong way to lose weight. Yes you need a calorie deficit but how you achieve that is totally personal