Keto'ers

Options
Just wondering for those of you who are keto, when you're counting your carbs are you counting just straight carbs, or net carbs? For me yesterday, my carbs were 51 but my net carbs were 17. Which ones should I be following to be in optimum ketosis?

Replies

• devonmichele
    devonmichele Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hey! I know this is kinda random, but theres some really good resources on reddit for people doing keto.
    Here's a general Keto link.
    A keto accountability/food link.
    And a 1200kcal/day keto link.

Good luck, and I hope these resources help!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Just wondering for those of you who are keto, when you're counting your carbs are you counting just straight carbs, or net carbs? For me yesterday, my carbs were 51 but my net carbs were 17. Which ones should I be following to be in optimum ketosis?

net, if you're in the US or other places following their labelling.

Some hardcore people go for gross, but with normal foods the fiber isn't a problem. You had 17g of carbs and 34g of fibre ?

Beware of subtracting sugar alcohols, they're a bit more variable.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I have autoimmune issues so I do net carbs if it's healthy but gross carbs if it's something I shouldn't have eaten.

For example: if it's salads/veggies, I use net carbs to allow for more of the good stuff. For cookies or snack foods that I should stay away from, I use gross to limit myself from getting more. This helps me reduce my inflammatory response.

• one1fast68
    one1fast68 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    When I done keto I only counted net carbs.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I count whole, but minus fibre.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I count net carbs but usually forget to subtract sugar alcohols. I aim for 40-60g net carbs, which works for me! Except this week, because birthday cake (my own). Back to hardcore again tomorrow.
  • lindseylightner
    lindseylightner Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

net, if you're in the US or other places following their labelling.

Some hardcore people go for gross, but with normal foods the fiber isn't a problem. You had 17g of carbs and 34g of fibre ?

Beware of subtracting sugar alcohols, they're a bit more variable.

Thank you! That's correct I had 34g of fiber. And I am in the US. This makes me feel so much better. I've managed to stay around 30 whole carbs a day but it would be nice to go off of net for a little cushion!

• lindseylightner
    lindseylightner Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies and insight! I appreciate it! <3
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If you can stay in ketosis (hence that's the real important part of lo-carbing) then does it really matter?

I count gross carbs. I aim for the 60/35/5.

Sometimes I go bit over but generally speaking I'm watching my ketosis through analysis to ensure purple.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I go with total carbs too. It's just easier.
  • Gerard25percent
    Gerard25percent Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid them altogether, my daily goal is 70% fat 30% protein 0 carbs, like Jessie I measure for Ketosis, usually takes 2-3 days to get into and i remain until I consumed enough carbs to knock me out, usually a 12 day on 2 day off cycle