Fast food addiction

Options
It's like every time I have extra money I get the urge to eat out...

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Well there you go. Step one complete!
  • marymitchell40
    marymitchell40 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Lol, that's a good one
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    It's like every time I have extra money I get the urge to eat out...

Buy shoes instead.

Or save it to go travelling!

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    So if you can't resist make good choices so it fits in with your weekly goal
  • anacasta81
    anacasta81 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Buy work out gear instead :) but use it! stop at Ross or TJ Max to get a sports bra or socks or something cute to work out in!
  • katie22mfp
    katie22mfp Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    It may taste nice for a minute but it will be a lifetime on the stomach. You are in control stop so you don't get further from your goals.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Open an IRA and put your extra money there.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    Open an IRA and put your extra money there.
    Yep. Because based on how the health is of the average American these days, retirement money will be spent on health care more than anything else. So by saving your money instead of eating out, you win twice over.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have had the same issue for the longest time but am finally starting to rid of the habit. Before I would eat out maybe 7 times a week? Even though I would keep it within my calorie range, it still adds more calories than eating at home. Right now I'm eating out maybe around 3-4 times a week (mostly on weekends), I try to stay free from eating out on weekdays. This past week I haven't done that though because I need to go shopping for groceries lol But anyways! Do what I do! Anytime I have extra money, go buy something, and leave yourself filthy broke (only leave money for necessities like gas/groceries/personal items)! It really works lol I only get paid about $110 a week from my part time job, so normally I will go and spend about $50-60 on a new purse, clothes, workout gear, anything! The rest I leave strictly for necessities. If you make more than I do, which is highly likely, try finding meals at home that are just as good as fast food places! I try to duplicate fast food places with home cooked meals but a healthier version of it.
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who have a savings account and a spending account. They keep all their money in the savings account, so if they want to buy anything they have to transfer it- makes impulse buying hard because you have to think about it carefully!
  • evastar
    evastar Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I feel you. Have fast food then, but make it a once a week "cheat" meal. Or, have it whenever you want and log it, planning the rest of your day accordingly
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You can still eat out and eat within your calorie limit.

There are loads of threads about tips on this. Do a search for "restaurant".

Best wishes.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I would prefer to spend any extra money on clothes/shoes/bags :smiley:
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Start recording the money you spend on takeaway/eating out/junk. When I realised I was literally spending 100-400 a month on crap I didn't even remember eating, the money went towards new things and I have a lot more pocket money.
  • Krav_Maga
    Krav_Maga Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Set a budget and stick with it. That way you can still eat out but not break the bank. Also, adding up your fast food spending and see if your happy with it. I was surprised how much I was spending and it helped me cut way back on eating out.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that eating out won't get me closer to my goal, but I don't eat out that much to begin with. Yes you can eat out and stick to your calorie goal but I am kind of distrusting with calorie counts on menus tbh.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that eating out won't get me closer to my goal, but I don't eat out that much to begin with. Yes you can eat out and stick to your calorie goal but I am kind of distrusting with calorie counts on menus tbh.

I over-estimate menu guesstimations. Combine that with the human impulse to under-estimate ;) , and my 80 lb loss in a year has proved it all averages out.
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Great job limiting yourself! I also have a fast food addiction, but just making better choices and putting a limit on it really helps. I eat the grilled chicken sandwich from Chik fil a probably twice a week! When I have an itch for fast food, I tell myself "I can have that, but it won't help me reach my goals." Instead of saying I can't have it- which makes me feel restricted.