2lb a week weight loss

Options
Wondering if I will be successful at this challenge I have set for myself. I have been counting cals and working out. 1400 cals a day should be good plus 30-1hr at the gym everyday?

Replies

• anthony150paolucci
    anthony150paolucci Posts: 85 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Whether you will lose at that rate each week will be dependent upon your calorie deficit. In order to lose 2 lbs a week you will need a 1000 calorie deficit each day from calorie restriction and calorie expenditure through exercise. 1400 may work for you depending on your maintenance calories. So if you maintain at 1900 calories and eat 1400 calories that will be a 500 calorie deficit from diet and you can burn the other 500 through exercising (in your case the gym). This will have you on pace to lose 2lbs a week, but depending on your current height and weight, 2 lbs may be too aggressive. Just keep that in mind.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    I lost 15 kg in my first 16 weeks here on a 1250 cal/day net.

In other words, if I didn't exercise (very rare) I had 1250 cal as a maximum number of calories I could consume.

But if I did exercise, I would eat 50-75% of my calories back so I might end up with 1300 or 1500 or more calories on those days depending upon how much exercise I did.

After 16 weeks, I took a 1-month diet break and then resumed at a slower pace.

That worked for me! :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,440 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

In other words, if I didn't exercise (very rare) I had 1250 cal as a maximum number of calories I could consume.

But if I did exercise, I would eat 50-75% of my calories back so I might end up with 1300 or 1500 or more calories on those days depending upon how much exercise I did.

But you're a man. Men need more calories generally than women. Thus what worked for you might not work for the TO. Besides, 1250 is extremely low for a man. You probably lost an awful lot of good, healthy muscles along the way. Thus if TO has not much to lose, then 1000kcal deficite is probably unlikely without wrecking her body.
  • DarthSamson
    DarthSamson Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    yep I hate slow and steady
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    If thats your profile photo then you don't need to lose 2lbs a week...it doesn't even look like you have 2lbs to lose....

When you have little to lose 1/2lb per week is much healthier.
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

But you're a man. Men need more calories generally than women. Thus what worked for you might not work for the TO. Besides, 1250 is extremely low for a man. You probably lost an awful lot of good, healthy muscles along the way. Thus if TO has not much to lose, then 1000kcal deficite is probably unlikely without wrecking her body.

No, @Machka9 is a woman.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,440 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    faeriesue1 wrote: »

No, @Machka9 is a woman.

Oops! Then I'm sorry *blush* But still, a very high deficit is not possible for people who only have a little to lose without doing bad things to your body and all those lovely muscles.
  • razorkittie
    razorkittie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That is me 10lbs lighter It's my goal to get that back my motivation. But you are right you all are right I may be pushing to hard forcing myself to loose too quickly. I'm going to continue doing what I am doing and see how that works for me. Thanks so much for all your comments. Day 5! I had been in super great shape same time last year but faltered and stopes everything life.. And now I'm trying to retrain my habits again.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

faeriesue1 wrote: »

No, @Machka9 is a woman.

Oops! Then I'm sorry *blush* But still, a very high deficit is not possible for people who only have a little to lose without doing bad things to your body and all those lovely muscles.

As has been mentioned, I'm a woman. :) An older woman at that. That's me in my avatar.

And my lovely muscles are doing just fine thanks. Since I started this endeavour, I've redeveloped my quad muscles, in particular, again ... and am back to cycling long distances. :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    For weight loss you need a calorie deficit.
    To be sure that your actually eating At a calorie deficit, use a food scale for all solids and measure your liquids . be as accurate as possible .eyeballing portions and guessing isn't accurate logging.
    Be sure that your deficit isn't too aggressive. If you only have 10 lbs to lose, I would personally adjust your setting to lose 0.5 lbs per week .