Weight loss and breastfeeding!!! The struggle is real!

Options
Trying to lose weight while breastfeeding is the hardest thing ever!!! I want to lose 2lbs a week, but the second I start doing it babies tummy gets upset...any suggestions?!

Replies

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Slow your roll :)
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    If baby is under 4 months eat maintenance. Let breastfeeding provide your deficit. If baby is older, I'd start out with a goal of no more than 0.5 lbs per week. I lost my supply whenever I went below 1800 net calories per day. Now my baby is over a year and only nurses 2-4x per day so I'm good with a bigger deficit.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yes, try eating at a smaller deficit, shooting for a pound a week or even .5 a pound a week, depending on how much weight you have to lose. Be aware that as you restrict your calories, your supply may decrease. I've read that it takes on average anywhere from 300-500 extra calories per day to maintain supply. Kellymom.com has a lot of good information.
    Also interestingly enough, many women don't lose weight while breastfeeding due to the hormones. I truly hope you are not one of those people like me and the weight just falls off you, but it is not always the magical weight loss program everyone touts it to be. Good luck.
  • jlleatherman62
    jlleatherman62 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yah baby is only 2 monthas old I figured I could start going higher on the weight loss because I literally have 115 bags of milk in storage already, so I didn't think it would effect the supply/ my baby as much as it has. Thanks ladies for the advice...I'm guessing I'm going to stay a chunk for a little longer than I hoped lol.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    The above posters are right. Slow down. When babe starts some solids at 6 months you can up your weight loss. Meanwhile be patient and enjoy your babe. It took 9 months to put the weight on. I bet by babe's first birthday you will be back to pre-baby weight.
  • BellaNor
    BellaNor Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding is an awesome calorie burner! I am breastfeeding my 14 month old who mostly eat solids. I set my calorie target at 1800 a day but the reality is I average about 2000 calories a day. I don't exercise other than running after my 4 year old and baby since I am tired from not having slept the night for 14 months. I have been averaging 1.3 lbs weight loss a week while eating everything I want as long as I log it. I use a scale and measure everything.
  • mwinslow69
    mwinslow69 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If baby's tummy fussy. It may be a food allergy to what your eating.
  • evastar
    evastar Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're introducing too many salads and veggies when you start counting calories? That might be what's bugging baby's tummy
  • jlleatherman62
    Options
    Thanks guys I definitely have some stuff to look at... between probably trying to lose weight too fast, not eating enough calories, or possible food allergies
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Food allergies will cause blood in baby's poop. Most fussiness at the breast is due to flow being too slow due to decreased supply. Nursing more frequently until it comes back up will fix that :). Many women hang on to the last 10 lbs or so until the baby is weaned. I've got 4-6 lbs from this pregnancy left and baby is almost 15 months old, but it's been coming off fast since I started a more aggressive deficit about 6 weeks ago. My supply dipped a bit, but my little guy also drinks cow milk and water so I don't worry about supply anymore.
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    When I nursed my four kids (a pair of twins too) weight loss was easy without even trying. Just focus on making healthy choices as much as possible and eat to maintenance. Trust me, before you know it nursing will be over and your kid will be eating Doritos and applying for college.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose weight while breastfeeding is the hardest thing ever!!! I want to lose 2lbs a week, but the second I start doing it babies tummy gets upset...any suggestions?!

If baby's tummy gets upset that sounds like he/she is sensitive to someTHING you are eating, not necessary how much. Drastic drops in calories, carbs, or too low a calorie intake overall can result in reduced supply, but that won't "upset" baby's tummy; he/she will just want to nurse more often and you may notice signs that baby isn't getting enough.

I've nursed four children and lost the baby weight each time - set your goal for no more than 1 lb per week, don't go much below 1800 cal per day in any case, drink plenty of water, eat for nutrition and keep taking your prenatal, lower calories gradually rather than all at one especially if you need to lower them by more than a couple hundred per day, take some exercise (even just a daily walk while pushing the stroller helps) and be patient and kind to yourself.

• jlleatherman62
    Options
    @tlflag1620 ok that makes sense...maybe its the increase in veggies lol.
  • jlleatherman62
    Options
    @KnitSewSpin I lost all my pregnancy weight...I had 2 kids back to back, so I'm trying to lose the weight from last baby hahaha I'm continually breastfeeding, and the Dr said it was good milk because she had gained 4 pounds (she's only 2 months) so I'm guessing she just isn't liking something I'm eating. :-( lol
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 4 lbs. I'm sure you'll figure out the fussy. Then there will be a new fussy for a different reason :). Even my 14 yo gets fussy. A lot. :)