Night Shift Nurses !

Options
Hi there! Night shift RN here. What do you other nurses do about recording your meals? On days that I work (but didn't the night before) I get up at a normal time and have breakfast, lunch, and dinner, then breakfast again at the end of my shift. Do I record that all for one day? Or let my end of shift breakfast count for the next day?

Replies

• caileag26
    caileag26 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I count wake-up to sleep-time. On my daytime days it's morning to night. On my nights on, it's late afternoon until morning. I used to try to do it for actual calendar days, from midnight and midnight, but it just didn't work out for me.
  • dbfutrell662
    dbfutrell662 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm no nurse, but I work 5p-2a m-f. I count a day as when I'm awake. I've found the working this shift I can intermittent fast pretty easily. Most nights I eat at 8pm and do not eat again until 2-3pm the next day. Not advocating anything, just giving some insight to my day.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I am not a nurse, but rather a paramedic who strictly works night shifts (co-workers swear I am a vampire). I count from midnight to midnight, that way every "day" is identical in terms of hours (if I counted from wake time to sleep time my "day" hours would vary too much. I also do this because then it lines up with my 24hr burn via Fitbit.

I relabeled the meals to 12am-6am, 6am -12pm, 12pm-6pm and 6pm to 12am instead of breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack. I have followed that method for 18 months now and it has had some great results for me (almost 100lbs lost).
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    im not a nurse but i used to work 10pm to 6am.. i usually pre logged.
  • smokeatr9
    smokeatr9 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I work rotating day/night shifts and I am struggling to be consistent with logging. It doesn't help that when I'm on nights for 2 months, I still try to live a "normal" schedule on my days off. @elphie754, I'm curious - how did you change the labels for your meals? I think that may be of great help to me!
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I work 1-2 nights a week as a RN working 12 hr shifts. On nights I work, I will eat my calories for that day during the day and save part of them for during the night to keep my total of 1200-1400 calories. Then when I wake up the next day after I working, my calorie amount starts over. I used to feel like after midnight, my new calorie day started and then I would be panicking that next day when waking up feeling like my calorie bank was slim. It was not good. I felt defeated. So this way, I feel better knowing that my calories even if eaten after midnight are still being used up from my day before work that I saved for at work no matter what time they're eaten. Does that make sense? I asked a similar question and posted a few months ago and got helpful responses. You may want to check that out too.
  • hnahae
    hnahae Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I am not a nurse, but rather a paramedic who strictly works night shifts (co-workers swear I am a vampire). I count from midnight to midnight, that way every "day" is identical in terms of hours (if I counted from wake time to sleep time my "day" hours would vary too much. I also do this because then it lines up with my 24hr burn via Fitbit.

I relabeled the meals to 12am-6am, 6am -12pm, 12pm-6pm and 6pm to 12am instead of breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack. I have followed that method for 18 months now and it has had some great results for me (almost 100lbs lost).

I do this as well but I relabeled the meals first meal, second, and third, same with the snacks. This way nothing is screwed up on my days off when I function like a normal human being.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nurse but a dispatcher so I work rotating 10 hours shifts of days (7am-5pm) evenings (5pm-3am) and nights (9pm-7am), and I just log meal one as breakfast, then a snack, meal 2 as lunch, then a snack, meal 3 as dinner, then pre/post workout or evening snack, regardless of whether breakie is at 645 am or 5 pm. Basically a 24 hour period as someone else mentioned, so that it aligns with my fitbit steps/calorie burn :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    smokeatr9 wrote: »
    I work rotating day/night shifts and I am struggling to be consistent with logging. It doesn't help that when I'm on nights for 2 months, I still try to live a "normal" schedule on my days off. @elphie754, I'm curious - how did you change the labels for your meals? I think that may be of great help to me!

There was an option to edit meal
    Names somewhere. I honestly can't remember exactly where.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

My days are labeled 12-4, 4-8, 8-12, 12-4,4-8 and 8-12 and I slap my food in whatever the appropriate time is whether I am working or not
  • Krav_Maga
    Krav_Maga Posts: 9 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Click on the Food tab, then click on settings in the secondary tab list below and there you can rename your meals and change other items.

@smokeatr9
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm a nurse, work 7p-7a, and my "Monday", I stay up for 24 hours then sleep. I've found that trying to log in the hours I'm awake doesn't really work for me, because they vary depending on where I fall in my scheduled time, which is NEVER the same week to week. If I split days, have three in a row, etc., especially since I go back to a regular schedule on my days off, my time awake can be anywhere from 24 hours to 16 to whatever.

I log it basically at it appears on my MFP, so when it switches over at midnight, I start logging for the next day. Even when I switch back to my "normal" schedule and then to nights frequently, I do that, because it makes it easier for me to keep track of my calories if it just follows how I open the app. So everything for me is midnight to midnight, so that I can keep track of the calories in the 24 hour period more easily.

For labeling, I have mine "Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, vitamins, supplements", because I don't consider protein shakes a meal, and I have vitamins that I log, but obviously aren't a meal. I did try to break the day into chunks, but I only work 3-4 days a week, and on my days off, I don't eat like I do when I work or the same hours, so that didn't work well for me.
  • supermancollector
    supermancollector Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm now in the health care field and have struggled with this also. I work 11pm-9am 4 days a week, the days I work I have been eating when breakfast when I get home then head to bed for 7 hours. I get up for dinner and if I have enough calories left over I take a snack with me to have during my shift. The days I'm not off I have 3 light meals a day. It has been working for me but my progress has slowed lately.