Strange stench while exercising

Options
Hey,
while doing some exercises (like bridge (with 25 kg/about 50 lbs weight) or sumo squats (with just 8kg/16 lbs)) it happens to me that I smell a weird stench - like burning cables. The first time it happened I stopped exercising and checke all cables in house as it was so intense. Then I realized subjective and due to exercising.

I know that sounds crazy or ridiculous. But maybe there is some neurotic connection? Did it happen to you?

Thanks for answers.

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Does the smell arise when you are sweating a lot when exercising and smell like ammonia?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Doctor. Or wash your clothes with softener and stock up on deodorant.
  • finding_ways_not_excuses
    Options
    I wouln't say it is ammonia. It smells like burning plastic or so. And I think it arise when I an exercise is intensive and in combination with weights. So not just when intensive or strenght training.
    Options
    It is not due to clothes or my sweat. I'm a clean person. And it stops 20-30 secs after I stop doing that concrete exercise.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Some synthetic fibers simply stink... check your clothes. Could be your equipment too. Sniff it.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I have heard of people perceiving strange tastes (often metallic) or smells (electrical or burning) when exercising but my google skills have not unearthed anything other than a bunch or reddit discussions on the subject.

I find that, when at maximal load, and deep in the squat of a back squat (and I kid you not here!) music seems to slow down, the tone is deeper and the BPM slows. But it is just a perception. I think it may be due to increased pressure in the ear altering the tone and that I then interpret that as a slowing of the song.

It's all very weird.
    Options
    It's neither my clothes nor my equipment. The smell is not in the physical environment. That's why I'm asking as I'm a bit worried.
    Options
    Well, that's really strange. I have never heard about it...
    Options
    Thanks for the links, I think it's something I was looking for.