wrist weakness

Options
AsrarHussain
AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
Hello, I was wondering if there is any thing I can do strengthen my wrist, my left wrist when benching bends slightly, I dont know why, I am getting elbow pain because of the wrist bending slightly, I try to keep it straight, I have a wrist wraps but I think it would be better to find the core problem.

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Weak forearms?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    You can do wrist curls as an assistance exercise. But it may be a form issue -- if you grip too high on the hand, you're almost guaranteed to have wrist bend with big weights. If you don't use it, look up "bulldog grip".
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    squeeze the bar hard, and drop the weight to a level where you can work on form and strengthening your wrist, so your elbows don't hurt. Make sure your form on the bench is perfect, because bar positioning and your form will really effect your wrist and elbow placement .

and are your wrist wraps a good brand and tight enough. i actually prefer benching without wrist wraps until i get to about 90%. i dont think they give me any support unless they are so tight they cut off my circulation.
  • BriMcaffFitness
    BriMcaffFitness Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    try KTTAPE, I use it on my wrist for when I do pushups/planks/etc. It's kinesthetic tape so it uses its own resistance to help stabilize. I also use it for my foot.
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    You can do wrist curls as an assistance exercise. But it may be a form issue -- if you grip too high on the hand, you're almost guaranteed to have wrist bend with big weights. If you don't use it, look up "bulldog grip".

Where are you gripping the bar? It should be gripped by the hand, not the fingers, so that the weight is (mostly) in line with the forearm like in the neutral position below (no wrist extension!). Grip hard so the bar doesn't slip out.

wrist_views.jpg?3484985266604479095
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Weak forearms?

Iv been doing forearm exercises
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    squeeze the bar hard, and drop the weight to a level where you can work on form and strengthening your wrist, so your elbows don't hurt. Make sure your form on the bench is perfect, because bar positioning and your form will really effect your wrist and elbow placement .

and are your wrist wraps a good brand and tight enough. i actually prefer benching without wrist wraps until i get to about 90%. i dont think they give me any support unless they are so tight they cut off my circulation.

They are good, I don't use them because I want to streghen my forearms
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    G33K_G1RL wrote: »
    hill8570 wrote: »

Where are you gripping the bar? It should be gripped by the hand, not the fingers, so that the weight is (mostly) in line with the forearm like in the neutral position below (no wrist extension!). Grip hard so the bar doesn't slip out.

wrist_views.jpg?3484985266604479095

My grip becomes like the 3 picture. I use dumbells,barbell hurts my shoulder, I do use a smith machine after my dumbells
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    try KTTAPE, I use it on my wrist for when I do pushups/planks/etc. It's kinesthetic tape so it uses its own resistance to help stabilize. I also use it for my foot.

I will check that thank you
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    Thank you
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    stretch your forearms everyday and before lifting. If you increase your flexibility it might correct the problem.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    stretch your forearms everyday and before lifting. If you increase your flexibility it might correct the problem.

I will try that thanks
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I just use my wrist wraps. But then, hypermobility comes into play here. I'm choosing to externally stabilize the ligaments that my body decided to grow extra lax.
  • jasonsunlee
    jasonsunlee Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Doing lower weighted deadlifts will sure build your wrist and grip strength. Start out alow (usually your current weight if you consider youself fit... less if you consider yourself not fit) and incorporate this intonall of your workout days.

It is a great overall strength conditioning exercise that will help your core while targeting your wrist as well.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Doing lower weighted deadlifts will sure build your wrist and grip strength. Start out alow (usually your current weight if you consider youself fit... less if you consider yourself not fit) and incorporate this intonall of your workout days.

It is a great overall strength conditioning exercise that will help your core while targeting your wrist as well.

You definitely should not do deadlifts 6 days a week. They are extremely taxing on the lower back, which is the slowest recovering area of your body taking up to 72 hours to repair after a workout. The last thing you need is to over work your back causing poor form which could result in injury. (I.e. A slipped disk.) that put me out of lower body work for almost 3 months. I couldn't even do crunches without being in pain.

OP I have the same issue though, except my wrist will actually lock after my set and I won't be able to rotate it. Always my right wrist too.