Home workouts or Gym memberships

Options
I prefer working out at home doing beachbody dvds, or on my elliptical, or jogging outdoors.

I figure by the time I would get ready for the gym, find my keys, actually drive there, and start workout, I would be done at home. It is a timesaver st home. Plus in yrs past, the meat heads that think they rule the place hangout at equip and just mentally bother me. I went to a planet fitness once and was impressed with the fact the equipment seemed open and normal folks were there.

What are other folks reasons for preferring gym over home or vice versa?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I did home workouts for most of my weightloss. I joined the YMCA when my youngest was 8 months old and oldest was 3 yrs. It was getting hard to complete even a 20 min workout at home without being interrupted. The YMCA has 2 hrs childcare included per day in the family membership. Joining also meant I was able to start a lifting routine. I live in a small apartment on the 2nd floor; not really a good place for a home gym set up. My husband has found that he really loves the kickboxing and body pump group classes. There is also a pool if I'm in the mood to swim.
  • memo1974
    memo1974 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I have a weight set, a bench, and a squat rack on my garage. I love working out on my garage, gyms are full of weirdos, I'm too old to deal with those kind of people.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    My husband and I had a membership with the local aquatic centre and gym. We really liked the place and spent several evenings each week there. My husband is into swimming so he'd go off to the pool while I took a spinning class, then we'd walk/run on the treadmill together.

At the time we were living about 10 min drive away. Then we moved and the 10 min drive became a 30+ min drive each way and our frequency dropped to about once a week.

We let our membership expire .. :( ... and built a home gym.

The home gym is nice, but we both miss the other place. No doubt, at some point, we'll rejoin it or another similar place.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i like both working out at home and the gym. these days, i work out at home, but i have a decent FID bench, weights, a hyper bench, barbells - both adjustable and fixed - a decent quality set of resistance bands and some more stuff, as well.
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I are gradually building up our home gym. Got the exercise bike, treadmill, home gym, and a bench need to get free weights next. Love the fact that I am literally a hop skip and a jump away from hitting the shower and I can play my eclectic music and sing along to it without any strange looks LOL!
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I work out at a home for several reasons. I have a decent home gym, driving to a gym would take at least 30 minutes round trip, and I prefer to be alone so I can talk to myself or grunt, spit, whatever. Lol. Really though my biggest reason is social anxiety.

I have thought about going to a gym a few times a week though just because they have some machines I don't have but I just don't think I need it. I'd rather spend the money investing in my home gym.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    billutzman wrote: »
    I prefer working out at home doing beachbody dvds, or on my elliptical, or jogging outdoors.

I figure by the time I would get ready for the gym, find my keys, actually drive there, and start workout, I would be done at home. It is a timesaver st home. Plus in yrs past, the meat heads that think they rule the place hangout at equip and just mentally bother me. I went to a planet fitness once and was impressed with the fact the equipment seemed open and normal folks were there.

The meat heads probably hang out at the equipment because they use it. Maybe you should worry less about others.

That being said I have built up my own free weight equipment collection because waiting for sets sucks. Especially when some non-meat head dares to touch the squat rack.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Walk, run or cycle to the gym and you've saved yourself the headache of finding your keys and driving. (I'll never understand those who choose too drive to the gym then spend 30 minutes on cardio equipment, it's similar to when I hear "I'm just going to jump in the car to take the dog a walk")

I do both, I don't mind training at home but you are very limited to what exercises you can do. The bulk of my training is done in the gym, with the occasional home workout.

PS. Meat heads are in every gym. Focus on your training, not what they may or not be doing. Its usually the latter.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out at home because in a gym you're exposed to the bodily pathogens of many other guests. Not just viruses and bacteria, but also fungi.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out at home because in a gym you're exposed to the bodily pathogens of many other guests. Not just viruses and bacteria, but also fungi.

The same can be said by walking into any room, in any building, city, country worldwide.

• foxygirl14
    foxygirl14 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I went to a planet fitness once and was impressed with the fact the equipment seemed open and normal folks were there.
    ?

That's why I like Planet Fitness. It's a very non-judgmental environment while motivating me by just being around other people working out.
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out at home...but that could be because there is no way I could ever go to a gym.
  • chrlslove7
    chrlslove7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I like the gym because I'm just more motivated there. At home, I can stop easily or I just get lazy. The work put in to getting to the gym (clothes, getting kids ready, $ spent on the gym itself) actually fuels me. I catch people looking which sucks because I know my form may be off and I get self-conscious but it works overall.
  • annapage38
    annapage38 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Walk, run or cycle to the gym and you've saved yourself the headache of finding your keys and driving. (I'll never understand those who choose too drive to the gym then spend 30 minutes on cardio equipment, it's similar to when I hear "I'm just going to jump in the car to take the dog a walk")

I do both, I don't mind training at home but you are very limited to what exercises you can do. The bulk of my training is done in the gym, with the occasional home workout.

PS. Meat heads are in every gym. Focus on your training, not what they may or not be doing. Its usually the latter.

I mean, people are lucky to have a gym close enough to them to walk/run/cycle. I chose my gym because it's a cheap price of £10 pm. I go every day without fail and do HIIT classes - yes I can do them at home, but I love the atmosphere at my gym, the PTs are wonderful and so friendly. I also will use the cardio machines too. You also have to think that maybe the gym isn't in the nicest neighborhood... I 100% would not be happy walking through my gym's area.

There's two sides to every story :smile:
  • fourmartinkids
    fourmartinkids Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Home gym for me - got everything I need :
    Free weights , elliptical , treadmill, weder club machine, jump ropes, back extension seat - u name it !

On the down side : my laundry room is next door. With 4 kid there's always a pile of laundry
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Cycling is my primary cardiovascular exercise. I go to the gym to lift weights. I would love to have all of the equipment available to me in my home, but that's not happening. At minimum I would need a power rack, an Oly platform, a bench, the plates and bumper plates, as well as a bunch of dumbbells and I just don't have that kind of room in my home.

I've never enjoyed DVD workouts...I like lifting weights.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Unless you actually live in a bubble, you're exposed to all of that everywhere you go.
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have done both home and gym workouts in the past. Currently, I prefer to go to the gym because I just feel more motivated to get my workout done in that atmosphere. There are meatheads at my gym, but they've been very helpful (e.g., spotting when I need it, helping me find weights, etc.). I notice the same people in the gym on the days and times that I go...so it's like its own little community. As far as germs, soap and water on a regular basis. :smile: