Dirty bulk journey

Options
Up five pounds in two weeks super pumped. I am aware it's a lot of water and fat but since I'm doing a slightly dirtier bulk than I should be its to be expected started at 170 weighed in this morning at 175. I think I might clean up my diet a touch just so I keep the fat down a touch my end goal is to bulk to 200 do a cut and than see where I am. My question to you folks is. Have you guys had decent results dirty bulking, and if so please feel free to share! And oh just to mention my body fat is 14% right now

Replies

• pwillis20
    pwillis20 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Man to be completely honest, I've never bulked over 15% bf and I'd never suggest someone dirty bulk if already at 14. Your entitled to your opinion or do what you feel but I'd consider a recomp if I were you and see where your at after that then decide how nasty you wanna get on a bulk. 175 lean isn't bad, that's actually what I weigh if you can see my profile pic and want a quick reference
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Up five pounds in two weeks super pumped. I am aware it's a lot of water and fat but since I'm doing a slightly dirtier bulk than I should be its to be expected started at 170 weighed in this morning at 175. I think I might clean up my diet a touch just so I keep the fat down a touch my end goal is to bulk to 200 do a cut and than see where I am. My question to you folks is. Have you guys had decent results dirty bulking, and if so please feel free to share! And oh just to mention my body fat is 14% right now

The type of food you eat has nothing to do with the amount of fat you gain. Dirty bulk means a 1000 calorie surplus. And due to the limitations of muscle growth, 75% or more of your weight will be fat (of the 2 lbs a week you can gain, you have the potential for roughly 1/2 lb of muscle). Add on the fact, that you are at the high end already for acceptable bulking range, you are adding into the fire that your body will more primed to build fat, not muscle.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I agree with the above 2 posters... I went on a "dreamer bulk" before and got up to 25% bodyfat which I definitely regret (took a LONG cut to lose ~25lbs before I saw abs again). Don't make the same mistake I did. Do a regular bulk of TDEE+500 calories, lift on a novice progression program (greyskull LLP, Starting Strength, Strong Lift), and make good muscle gains with minimal fat gains.

Bodybuilders say you don't need to bulk past 15%, power lifters say you shouldn't bulk past 20%. The longer your bulk lasts, the more novice gains you can make, so stretch it out. Consider doing a slow-bulk @ TDEE+250 calories once you get to 15% bodyfat. Just remember, the longer you bulk, the longer you will need to cut.

i.e. dirtybulk TDEE+1000 calories for 6 weeks = bulk TDEE+500 calories for 12 weeks = slowbulk TDEE+250 calories for 24 weeks.
    Since you can only build X amount of muscle at a time, the rest of your calories turns into fat. Unless you are a skinny underweighted novice, do NOT go over TDEE+500 calories! Go on a steady or slow bulk and gain muscles with a good beginner program for ~6 months!

Remember kids, say NO to dreamer bulk
    (Dream bulk = bulking in your dreams. aka getting fat)
  • sdeidjdbeje
    sdeidjdbeje Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with you about the type of food, but what I meant was I will not continue such a surplus and honestly I'm not too concerned about the fat that being said 1/2 pound of muscle a week is frigging awesome and I wouldn't be upset with that at all
  • sdeidjdbeje
    sdeidjdbeje Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hamster I totally agree with you but I couldn't see myself doing a beginner program just because I've been lifting for years. Due to problems and whatever else about a year and a half ago I went from 195lb 10% bf. Down to what I am now and I wouldn't call this a dreamer bulk at all my surplus is about 650 calls and the fact that I gained five pounds in two weeks is easy to explain water fat whatever else. I'm positive that the weight will start to go up slower as I continue
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Great, as long as you know it is not sustainable long term. Just keep bulking and lifting and you're golden.