Seeds and food

Options
Does anyone else put chia seeds or flax seeds in their food? I usually add them to oatmeal in the morning to help me fill up for lunch. Any other ideas on how I can incorporate them in food.

Replies

• sarahearra
    sarahearra Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I add a tablespoon of chia seeds to my greek yogurt every morning. I've also baked them into breakfast bars that I take backpacking, mixed them into quinoa dishes, and topped veggies and salads.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add them to my porridge, or smoothies but they're high in calories, so I'm going to wait till I'm maintaining before using them.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add them to my porridge, or smoothies but they're high in calories, so I'm going to wait till I'm maintaining before using them.

I never thought to add them into smoothies. I need to try that.
  • callmecarina
    callmecarina Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've found that a chia seed pudding is a GREAT alternative to oatmeal. I have oatmeal virtually every single morning (m-f) at work because it's tasty and easy for me, but when I need to restock my oatmeal, or just change it up, I'll bring a chia seed pudding from home.

1 cup non-dairy milk
    3 Tbps chia seeds
    Cinnamon to taste
    fresh or frozen fruits

Pour milk, seeds, and cinnamon into a jar and shake it up. Store in the fridge for at least 4 hours (overnight works best). Add fruit when ready to eat.

That's it! If you use a sweetened nut milk (I used Pacific Organic Original Almond Milk, which has has 7 g of sugar per cup) and a sweet fruit, you don't need to add anything extra! I like using frozen blueberries because it has a nice slushy texture that jams well with the pudding consistency.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

I never thought to add them into smoothies. I need to try that.

Have you tried adding water to chia seeds and leaving over night, you can make smoothie bowls with them, they act like a jelly. Look on You Tube for Chia seed recipes, I love getting ideas on there
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I soak them overnight and my daughter and husband use them for their smoothies in the morning.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Add to salad, rice, pasta or stirfry.
  • beachgalOceanView
    beachgalOceanView Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Put yogurt, chia seeds and sliced mango in a Tupperware bowl and mix with a spoon. Cover and place in refrig several hours or overnight. It thickens and the seeds swell up so that the yogurt becomes like tapioca pudding or jello in consistency. Yummy too.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    There are chia seeds and flax seeds in mt Lifbasic protein powder mix
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, granola bars, smoothies, pasta sauces, muffins, pancakes and you can even make chia juices
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You can also use them in place of eggs in many baked goods. I tablespoon chia to 3 tablespoons of water and let sit for a few minutes.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    You can also use them in place of eggs in many baked goods. I tablespoon chia to 3 tablespoons of water and let sit for a few minutes.

I totally forgot about that. I used to always replace eggs with flax seeds in my cakes all the time.