Lunches

Options
Hi everyone,

I have just recently joined this website and I am looking into shaping my lunch meals to be healthier. I generally take a sandwich with processed meat and raw veggies for lunch and I am looking for meals that would be a little lowers in sodium and healthier. I know that salads are a good lunch option but I was looking for a little more variety.

Thanks,

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Make a sandwich with meat that you prepared at home...leftover chicken or ham. Leftover steak or turkey. MEATLOAF sandwiches are so yummy.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I make hummus sandwiches on 100 calorie wheat bread with a wedge of laughing cow cheese.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Are you able to take soup to work?? You can make your own and then really count the calories or buy pre-packaged ones ...lots of variety there....with one slice of bread/toast... depends on your kitchen facilities...
    Or..you could do mountain bread roll ups instead of ordinary sandwich bread...
    Or...fruit salad....
    Or..add egg instead of processed meat....
    Hope you find out what works well for you!!:flowerforyou:
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Make a sandwich with meat that you prepared at home...leftover chicken or ham. Leftover steak or turkey. MEATLOAF sandwiches are so yummy.

I found my store sells this meat over the counter, they slice it in front of you, the downside is it doesnt last as long like 3 days in the fridge.
  • frenchprairiegirl
    frenchprairiegirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm a shift worker so I tend to make 2 extra portions for dinner the day before my first day. Lunches are then taken care of for my day shifts. Then, I'll make my "lunch" for my 2 night shift the morning before the first one. My meal vary from green or quinoa salads to spaghetti squash, baked sweet potato and homemade sauce made with ground turkey and loads of veggies. I always pack fruit, fresh berries and balken yogourt for snacks.
  • jporambo88
    Options
    Variety is the hardest part! Sometimes I add different veggies or meats to my salads, or use different lettuce each time. Baby shrimp makes a great protein in salad (since I typically only eat fish). I know this may be crazy, but peanut butter & Jelly sandwiches are great if you make them right! Use na all natural peanut butter (all natural is better than reduced fat, the fats are good, and full of protein) a low sugar jam/jelly, and a whole wheat bread. Reduced fat triscuits and tuna is great! I make my tuna with a little bit of mustard and fat free balsamic dressing (to avoid using mayo) and I add chopped pickles and celery and a pinch of salt and pepper. Jennie-O makes turkey franks/hot dogs, which are great chopped and sauteed with veggies...but for lunch, I will sometimes stick 2 in a zip lock and microwave them at work! Dip them in a little bit of ketsup and/or mustard, and without the bun they are carb free! :-) If I am in a big hurry and cannot make anything, I grab a healthy bar of some sort, and a banana or a cut up apple, maybe a handful of nuts (preferrably soy nuts). Good bars are Larabar (found at any grocery store), Nature Valley (original, in the green package), Odwalla bars, or Ms. Mays all natural bars made with nuts and dried fruit (found onlt at costco I think. Nonfat greek togurt, fresh fruit and a healthy granola is a very good lunch (very filling!). I wing it a lot of the time and use what I have in my fridge, but I hope this helps!!! Good luck!
  • Ashes1215
    Ashes1215 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Make mexican shredded chicken: Boil chicken breasts, cut them up really small and add Cumin, onion salt, garlic powder, and chili powder. Mit it up and then take it alone or with veggies or a whole wheat tortilla. I eat it alone.

Cottage cheese mixed with cut up fresh tomatoes

protein shake

canned black beans

strawberries are awesome, low calorie and delish. Put some splenda on them if you want.
  • Ashes1215
    Ashes1215 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Spinach salad with strawberries, almond slices and homemade vinegarette (1/2 balsalmic vinegar, 1/2 extra virgin olive oil, add some splenda)
  • allywilkes
    allywilkes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always take a packed lunch and a lot depends on what I've got as "leftovers" in the fridge.

These are great sites for lunch ideas (involving lots of veggies and lots of variety):

www.justbento.com

www.lunchinabox.net (less active now, but great archive posts)

http://www.veganlunchbox.com/ (follow the link to "blog" for recipes - I have both cookbooks as well and they are amazing for a large variety of healthy and nutritious lunches with lots of veggies - if you eat meat or fish, I'm sure you could find ways to substitute them in or add them as a side portion).
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Processed meats ie cold cuts, lunch meats , deli meats should be avoided as a lunch choice. Natural peanut butter is a far superior choice if you must eat a sandwich. Just take a porportioned and balanced meal with leftovers from supper time. That's what i do. Check some diaries to include mine to get some ideas.