Leg press using 1 leg

Options
KDar1988
KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
I found a video of a woman doing 1 leg presses on the leg press machine. Claims it's good for the glutes. Looking for opinions if this is worthwhile doing?

I tried it last night, I can do 280lbs with both legs and 1/2 that with just one. So many videos out there, just checking to see if this is harmful or helpful!

Replies

• Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Yes. Redresses any imbalance.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    He's skiing with one ski!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    i do single leg- leg press- it's way safer than single leg weighted squats LOL. I really like them- and yes- it's very good for das glutes.
  • michelletowle52
    michelletowle52 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do them also do single leg curl
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    i do single leg- leg press- it's way safer than single leg weighted squats LOL. I really like them- and yes- it's very good for das glutes.

you could do bulgarian split squats though Jo ;)
  • KDar1988
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I can't do single leg squats. Not even with help from the TRX.
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me on the leg press often alternating between both legs and single legs.
  • KDar1988
    Options
    Question for those who do them. What position is your foot on the plate? The girl in the video was pointing her toes on the right leg to the left about 45 degrees and her foot was almost all the way up to the top of the plate.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    yes single leg presses are good. And when i do leg press, i do all different positions, where you place your feet or foot will work different muscles. also if you are going for a glute workout, make sure your glutes are squeezed the entire time and you are using them for the lift , otherwise if you aren't consciously engaging them your body will probably kick your quads into action and it will be more of a quad workout than glute
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I've done them before. I had my foot placed near the top of the plate.
  • KDar1988
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input.
  • Onhowtobelovely
    Onhowtobelovely Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    her foot placement is what is making the exercise hit her glutes, the leg press you can vary your foot placement to target different muscles in your leg...single leg or both legs.