Best Post Workout Drink

Options
Hey Everyone, I see people talking about this alot on here and saw this article. I hope it helps. :wink:

The Best Post-Exercise Drink: Chocolate Milk

Melanie Pinola — Forget sports drinks, the best beverage to have after a workout or hard race is chocolate milk, studies say.
Some Lifehacker readers have mentioned this tip before in our tips box and related posts about what to drink when exercising, and these two new studies provide further confirmation that chocolate milk—particularly low-fat chocolate milk—is an ideal recovery drink to have after exercise.

In the cited University of Texas at Austin study, athletes who drank low-fat chocolate milk after a hard workout (as opposed to those who drank sports beverages with just carbohydrates) developed more muscle and less fat, as well as improved workout times. Another study published in The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research found cyclists who drank chocolate milk had twice the maximal oxygen uptake (the most amount of oxygen an individual can use during intense exercise, an indicator of your cardiovascular fitness) as those who drank calorie-free beverages or carbohydrate sports drinks.

So, in the 30-minute recovery window after exercising, have a nice cold drink of low-fat chocolate milk to boost your performance and overall physical shape. Photo by Team Traveller.

Chocolate milk is the best drink for recovery after exercise | IndiaVision

Replies

• sarahttini
    sarahttini Posts: 186
    Options
    My husband has been using chocolate milk and loves it and I love the fact that he's not buing some really expensive powdered stuff from the supplement store! :drinker:
  • bjenny12345
    bjenny12345 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The calories and sugar in chocolate milk would pretty much defeat the purpose of working out. I noticed the article said "athletes". How many of us are actually "athletes"? I stick to water and tons of it after I work out. After all I sweat water, not milk.
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Yeah I swear by lots of water xx
  • SheriBethB
    SheriBethB Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I think if I drank chocolate milk after a workout, I'd throw up. That would not sit well at all with my stomach. I'll stick to water or a zero cal propel
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    You can buy chocolate milk made from skim milk. It isn't really all that high in calories or sugar, depending on how much you drink. One cup is about 308 calories, with 27 sugars. It might be a lot for you, but for someone else it might be just right. Your body needs more than just water after a workout. Some people just don't want to have to wait for their next meal.
  • SkinnySauce
    Options
    Propel zero is the bomb
  • ladygloria
    ladygloria Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    The calories and sugar in chocolate milk would pretty much defeat the purpose of working out. I noticed the article said "athletes". How many of us are actually "athletes"? I stick to water and tons of it after I work out. After all I sweat water, not milk.

For vigorous workouts, I can handle 170 calories and 3 grams of fat for a cup of 1% chocolate milk. 27 grams of sugar, while high is less than Gatorade and other recovery drinks I've seen. The only exercise I burn less than the calories in the milk is walking and for that I still use water. Then again, I don't walk vigorously enough for my muscles to need the benefits of muscle recovery that chocolate milk provides. Not to mention, yay it kills the nasty chocolate craving too!