Pescetarians, vegetarians and vegans!!

Options
I'm so proud of myself!! Over a week meat free (besides fish) and I wouldn't go back! Now I'm on my next mission to slowly cut back on how much diary I consume, which is not a lot anyways. Opting for a lemon ice over ice cream, almond milk instead of cows milk. Asking for no cheese... It's all a learning process but I'm happy I'm giving it a whirl! Eggs on the other hand... Hard. For now I'm just trying to eat organic eggs. It's all about how you fuel your body. Think about the next time you go get that juicy burger how mass produced cattle are... Born and raised to be slaughtered. It's not so bad if you had your own farm and didn't mass produce, but not everyone can do that! Anybody else have this lifestyle? I'm looking for people like me! I still eat fish!! How do I eliminate diary when its like in everything? Any tips or insight would be great.

Replies

• chastityheather
    chastityheather Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for about 4 years, during high school and for some reason strayed from that lifestyle. I couldn't tell you why.
    I'm now 26 and I'm trying to transition slowly back to eating less meat and dairy. I don't generally eat much dairy besides cheese and eggs and the occasional yogurt. I've been using almond milk for everything for several years already. I usually only have meat with dinner now. Some days I have no problem with eating plant based for the entire day, but some days I'm just too tired to make a separate meal for myself when cooking for my family.
    I totally agree with you about animals being raised just to slaughter. It's horrible to think about.
    You just need to be reading labels. Have you tried the vegan cheese in the produce section? I haven't but I've been wanting to!
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Wife has been pescatarian for nearly 20 years..she does eat eggs ad drink milk.

And vegan cheese sucks...but I'm not a fan of replacement/simulated foods
  • bubble_wrap0428
    bubble_wrap0428 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! Still going strong
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten meat or fish since January and it's going really great! No cravings although I do miss seafood from time to time.

I do eat eggs quite often and dairy occasionally (butter, cheese and ice cream once in awhile, but no cow's milk, just almond milk).

I do have to cook separate dinners most of the time, but I really don't mind since I love to cook. I just have to plan and prep.

My next challenge is finding veggie based recipes for summer barbecues.

Sorry I don't have any tips for you though...I just literally stopped eating meat and loved the way I felt and kept going. I have no plans to give up my butter, eggs or cheese. Mmmm.

Good luck to you!!
  • bsafferm
    bsafferm Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been a pescatarian for 7 years now -- it really is possible to keep it up! :smiley: For a while, I went strictly vegetarian but then I wasn't getting enough protein so I switched back to pescatarian. Honestly, I think your body "knows" what kind of diet is right for it, lol!! I know it sounds silly but listening to what makes your body feel its best is the right type of diet to follow, I'd say! xoxo