Went on vacation and my scale says...

Options
So I went on vacation and my scale says I gained 11 lbs. I know I have a problem with retaining water. Should I take some water retention pills? Also, I've been having issues going number 2. Any tips? Sorry if this was TMI

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    It's pretty normal to retain water while traveling - it's a combination of higher amounts of sodium (and perhaps carbs) and just traveling in general.

I wouldn't bother taking any water pills. Just give yourself a week or two back on your regular eating plan and let your body sort itself out :)

~Lyssa
  • crystalroselynn
    crystalroselynn Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I typically retain water easily but my legs also swell when I travel. I just want to get back to my weight fast
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, water pills/diuretics can cause electrolyte imbalances. If you just increase your water intake, your body will naturally let go of the excess. Might take longer, but I think it's better for you :)

~Lyssa
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water -- if anything I'd take a fiber supplement to go to the bathroom!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Drink water, get back into a deficit, and be patient. Don't go taking those water pills. They're just going to make you poo yourself.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I always feel out of sorts when I travel, too, which is such a bummer because I love to travel! Patience (~ 3 days to get back to normal) and asparagus work well for me.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    So I went on vacation and my scale says I gained 11 lbs. I know I have a problem with retaining water. Should I take some water retention pills? Also, I've been having issues going number 2. Any tips? Sorry if this was TMI

If you are having some constipation, dehydrating yourself with water pills will not help that! You've heard my opinion already in the other thread, so I won't repeat it :smile:
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    How long have you been back to eating your "regular" stuff? See where you're at when you've been back the same number of days you were gone.

Last week I got back from a vacation to Kansas City where I "pigged out" on BBQ pork ribs. Yup, gained 4 pounds of pure pleasure. This week I'm down 5 pounds, so that's a net loss of 1 pound!

For your other issue, the Taco Bell bean burrito is a reliable cure.
  • dollydiva2
    dollydiva2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've just come back too and suffer from fluid retention on long haul flights and I had two of them back to back. I took the water tablets and drank lots of water and it was gone within a day (spent a lot of time in the loo on the plane though).
    Gained 3lbs holiday weight though which I can't blame on water retention.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    So normal to see a gain after being away, extra sodium, more food etc - you'll find at least half of those pounds gained are water weight and you'll see them disappear within the next 4 or 5 days, in a week you'll know any real gain.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Water weight should drop off in a few days, 11lb sounds a lot so you might have gained some actualy body weight as well, but don't stress. Just get back to normal logging and it will go. No rush, no stress.

Can't help with the other problem I'm afraid...
  • crystalroselynn
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    How long have you been back to eating your "regular" stuff? See where you're at when you've been back the same number of days you were gone.

Last week I got back from a vacation to Kansas City where I "pigged out" on BBQ pork ribs. Yup, gained 4 pounds of pure pleasure. This week I'm down 5 pounds, so that's a net loss of 1 pound!

For your other issue, the Taco Bell bean burrito is a reliable cure.

I've only been back 2 days. Hahaha you're funny!
  • crystalroselynn
    Options
    dollydiva2 wrote: »
    I've just come back too and suffer from fluid retention on long haul flights and I had two of them back to back. I took the water tablets and drank lots of water and it was gone within a day (spent a lot of time in the loo on the plane though).

So water pills make you go number 2?
  • crystalroselynn
    Options
    Okay guys so I just went on the scaled and it now says I've only gained 6 lbs. I hope there's some more water weight left ...
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    That was fast lol. I usually give water weight a couple of days to settle down.
  • chalaivy
    chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    maybe something is wrong with your scale as well?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Did you fly? Flying causes massive bloating.

No..you shouldn't take a water pill...you should carry on and just drink water.
    dollydiva2 wrote: »

So water pills make you go number 2?

They make you pee constantly...you shouldn't take water pills unless you have to as prescribed by your doctor...they're nothing to be *kitten* around with just because you're retaining a little water and obsessed with the scale.