Building glutes and fat loss at same time?

Options
Is it possible to build muscle (even just a little) while being on a calorie deficit? I'm currently on a deficit to lose some excess fat around my belly. I try to cardio (HIIT) 2-3 days a week for about 20 min. I also do weight training but I'm focusing heavier weights for glutes, as I'm hoping to further shape it/grow it. I'm just wondering if my glutes will still gain muscle even though I'm cutting calories? Is there any way I can maximize my glute training to help build muscle, while cutting, whether by training or nutrition?

I hear that you need to be in a calorie surplus to gain muscle so that makes me think the answer to my question is no..
Any suggestions are welcome!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You can build some muscle in a deficit given good training and nutrition. It will be slower than at maintenance or in a surplus. Keep in mind that women grow muscle much more slowly than men. Combine that with the slower rate due to being in a deficit and you'll find that unless you have fabulous glute genetics your glutes growth will be very very slow.

If you haven't already, I suggest getting on a program that specifically focuses on glutes, like Strong Curves if you specifically want to work on your glutes.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Depends on some things, how big your deficit is, how much muscle you have now, etc.

But you could consider cycling calories so that you're eating near maintenance or above around your heavy glute workout. Then make up your deficit the rest of the week. If you've only recently started lifting heavy and your deficit is modest, I think there's a very good chance you can add muscle.
  • darrfarrahxo
    darrfarrahxo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    Depends on some things, how big your deficit is, how much muscle you have now, etc.

But you could consider cycling calories so that you're eating near maintenance or above around your heavy glute workout. Then make up your deficit the rest of the week. If you've only recently started lifting heavy and your deficit is modest, I think there's a very good chance you can add muscle.

My TDEE is around 1600-1700 so I try to stay around 1400 (so about 200 calories deficit).
    I also did just recently start lifting heavy. Well it may not be heavy for most but it's heavy for me at the moment, and I'm progressively increasing the weight as my strength builds.

On glute training days I don't worry too much about being in a deficit but rather want to make sure I get enough carbs and protein before and after my workout. So that's good to know that I can try cycling calories on those days.

Thanks!
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a bit of calorie cycling now for the same reason. I'm doing the strong curves program and almost always go over my calorie goal on lifting days. It's too early for me to know if it's working, but it seems to be the only solution.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Last time I lost weight, I quickly lost all the fat on my nice behind and it was super flat. I wasn't tracking calories at the time, but given that my weight stayed pretty static and my butt got fuller I'm guessing I was eating closer to maintenance and I made sure to push to fatigue 3x a week on the booty exercise machines- I probably only did that for 6 months (the only 6months I maintained my weight before gaining back).

I can't be totally sure of that of course, I wasn't tracking. But my butt did fill out and felt much firmer and looked fabulous in my yoga pants so sooooo I say try!