40-60 lbs to lose

Options
Hey y'all, i got 40-60 lbs to lose. I have a gym membership and use it on my days off from work. But it's really hard to go on days that i work. How do I convince myself to go after dinner or better yet after 8 pm when it's calmed down some.
Help please.

Friend request welcome

Replies

• rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    It is really just a matter of getting into the right mind frame of wanting to go, and knowing you need to go. I know what I'm trying to accomplish, and I know that the gym is going to help me get there, so I can't wait to make a trip to the gym. Like you, I go on my days off. As much as I can, I try to make it there a couple days a week before or after work, because I want to, and, if I don't make it, I miss it and get restless. For what it is worth, I'm a little over 6 weeks into my weight loss journey, and about 5 weeks into going to the gym. Between eating less and better foods than before, and the time in the gym, I'm down 18 pounds, so the results are there, and I want to keep them going, so I get myself going to the gym. Once you get into the routine, and start seeing the results, it's easier to get going for sure. For the days that I just can't get there for whatever reason, I picked up an exercise bike so I can at least do that.
    Good luck :)
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I do all my workouts at home with DVD-based programs. They are intense and time-efficient, since you don't have to travel. The easier you make it on yourself to go and get it done, the more consistent you'll be. Maybe you should check out some home-based programs.
  • Ktomeski
    Ktomeski Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about going like after dinner so the crowd is down on days that I have to work.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It was always easier for me to go first thing in the morning. I'd have my clothes laid out so I saw them as soon as I sat up in bed.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I agree it's frame of mind: I used to tell myself that I could go and "just stretch." As long as I simply showed up, it was good enough. It's habit forming. Well, I can tell you that once you show up...you usually do more than just stretch. But at the time, for me it's what I needed to tell myself just to get there..seems stupid, and I knew what I was doing, but it worked!
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You just have to make it habit. To be honest, I'm not the best at working out regularly but I've lost 30 lbs so far by focusing on reducing my caloric intake. You can do it. Just focus on your diet and get to the gym when you can.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    For me, I had to force myself go to the gym at first. Now it has become habit and I get fidgety when I don't get a chance to go. I'm not a huge fan of working out still, but I know I feel better after I do and it will help me get healthier. Before I could afford the gym, I did a lot of workouts at home during the winter. Either beachbody or whatever I found on Youtube that I liked and in the Spring, Summer and Fall I would walk and hike. I know how easy it is to find all kinds of reasons not to exercise.
  • Vanillabeanss2
    Vanillabeanss2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is my goal started this week
  • mollster1996
    mollster1996 Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You shouldn't have to convince yourself, I know it's a struggle but in the long term think about how the gym is going to allow you to nail your goals
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    How far is the gym from your job? Can you go for 30 mins during lunch? During the week that works great for me.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Well for me when I was working once I was home I was home...not going back out, thank you very much.

So I would try to go before work, at a lunch break, or directly after work...have a good snack with you to eat in transit then straight to the gym.
  • m1ssannthropy
    m1ssannthropy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    For me it's the thing I do at home after breakfast and coffee, it's much easier to do it - before - I start "life" aka everything that has to be done besides working out. Also it makes more sense to be able to use the afterburn and working out makes me feel more energetic and keeps my body strong, my immune system stronger, it's not needed if you just want to lose weight but it is needed if you want to get in shape and feel good.
  • Ktomeski
    Ktomeski Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all for your imputs. It's nice to see how you all fit it into your schedule. I'm thinking about making a schedule in my calendar and each thing i do in my day check it off. Just to see if it helps me get into routine. I know that's my biggest problem there, is getting into routine, but once i get into a routine I don't like straying from it.

6 weeks of commitment equals change.
  • ldelgad62
    ldelgad62 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try going after work before you even go home because once you get home chances are slim on you going out again lol. I keep a gym bag in my car with clothes for that reason :smile:
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I use my calander and make appointment for me with me to go to my gym four days a week at the same time each day. Example I try to get to my gym on Mondays at 10:00am so I am home by noon and then have the remainder of the day to do other things and don't have to worry about weather or not I worked out. most of the time I go to my gym between 10 and 11 am on my workout days this way I am committed to working out 4 days a week
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I friend requested you!!
    I am currently a student, but I have the same problem with being motivated to go to the gym. When I come home after a long day, I typically just want to just sit on the couch and veg out! What works for me is bringing clothes with me and hitting the gym before I go home. I'll try to have a light snack or dinner before and then a snack before bed.

I know this can be difficult if you have others you eat with (partners, kids etc) but as I live alone, I find it easiest to just pack my dinner or a snack and get the workout in before I go home.
  • michelleduthie1803
    michelleduthie1803 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym.. Money and time.. Eh.. But what i do is go for walks at night when it's cool and dark (I feel comfortable doing laps of a park at night). I give myself goals of 1-2 hours each night. I did 2 hours last night and hoping to get a good amount in tonight. Eating healthy and motivation to exercise is key. I have an eating disorder though so I need to watch how much I exercise but it's great for mental health. Getting ready to hit the park! Friend me if you want! :) in new to this community so some friends and motivation would be great!
  • AnnaBeach7
    AnnaBeach7 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I used to myself that I only need to go for 20 minutes, to make it "no big deal. " once there I always stayed for at least an hour. I do find that I can lose weight with diet alone, but diet and exercise together really drive results quicker which can keep me motivated. You are right, 6 weeks and it will become a habit.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    The gym is across the street from my office so I leave work and go right over. I schedule my appointments so I don't miss my exercise. I started by going a few days a week, every other day, now it's every day and I've been doing this for 2 1/2 years now. Now that my kids are older I have my time :)
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I also don't do the gym. I workout at home in the evenings, which is the best time for me to fit it in to my day during the week. I'll do fitness blender workouts, free weights, stationary bike and some dancing. Once the weather is a little nicer, I'll probably do some walking and maybe running.