Share a kombucha scobie?

Options
Anyone in NJ willing to share a kombucha scobie? I would like to give it a try? :smile:

Replies

• lolananda
    lolananda Posts: 7
    Options
    If you can't find anyone local, perhaps I could send you one from NC : )
  • randykaustin
    randykaustin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the offer. I finally broke down and ordered one from someone in Illinois on Amazon.

I collected kefir grains from several differant sources to develop the happy kefir family that I have.

Do you know if there are "regional" or any other unique differances between one kombucha mother to another?
  • RebeccaIngham
    RebeccaIngham Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That's so cool that you are giving making it a shot. I keep thinking about doing it myself, but haven't taken the plunge. Too hooked on GT's (man is that stuff good!), but boy can it get expensive! Would love to hear how it goes for you.... Maybe your results could convince me to go for doing it myself! :)
  • randykaustin
    Options
    At the risk of sounding ignorant, what are GT's?
  • lolananda
    lolananda Posts: 7
    Options
    GT's is a brand of Kombucha. Lots of different flavors and all are fantastic.....however at around 4 bucks a bottle...YIKES! I'm actually drinking one right now!

I don't know about regional differences although I had one mother that came from a funny tasting batch and never produced anything other than funny tasting kombucha. That stands to reason though.
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Options
    I am interested to know how it is to make as I love Kombucha, but it's very pricey to buy here, almost $4 a bottle
  • randykaustin
    Options
    I got my kombucha mother yesterday and today I started my first batch made with green tea. I will give you an update as things progress. So far seems pretty straightfoward and simple.

I also started my first kimchi ferment today. Again, seems very simple and OMG does it smell good!
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Options
    Thanks for the update ! Can't wait for a progress report :)
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If you like it, more power to you! You may have luck if you hop on craigslist, I have semi-frequently (in my area) seen bucha babies for trade/sale. I live in the Lehigh Valley, right on the NJ border, so maybe you'll have some luck too? I personally can't stand kombucha... I usually like fermented things, but something about it just makes me... :sick:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Yummmm, kimchi and kombucha are awesome!! I didn't know you could make your own. I would be paranoid that I'd get some hideous bacterial growth in it. :/
  • randykaustin
    Options
    I worried about wierd bacterial growths initially when I started making kefir... One of the amazing things about these traditional probiotic cultures is their natural talent to inhibit the growth (or even eradication) of competing bacteria and yeasts. They pretty much do the same thing in the fermenting container that they do in your gut. They set up house, multiply, and crowd out dangerous or less beneficial flora.

If you maintain relatively good sanitation in your process, I don't think you have too much to worry about.
  • randykaustin
    Options
    After one week:

The Kombucha has developed a new "daughter" on the surface and things are bubbling along really nicely. Once the daughter is about 1/4 to 3/8 inches thick I am going to start the new batch and sample this one...

The Kimchi is finished and I had my first serving this morning. Maybe too gingery... Next batch will have more garlic and chillis... I think I will enjoy it more if it is spicier "hot"!
  • randykaustin
    Options
    Got two really nice batches of Kombucha... But, then got mold on the scovy. I ordered a new scovy. I think I know what my two mistakes were.

You have to use more of the previous batch to "start" and speed the fermentation of subsequent batches. If you don't get the tea acidic enough, quickly enough, it is a fertile medium for wild molds and yeasts.

Also, I have to close it and leave it until it is well along. Curiosity and constantly uncovering the fermenting tea opens the door to less well intentioned microorganisms...

We'll see if the next attempt benefits from the previous experience.