Best shoe for distant running

Options
What is your favorite shoe for half marathons and longer? My New Balance M540 GB2 is worn out and I need to get a new pair of something. Looking for comfortable extra-wide that can go the distance. What say you?

Replies

• 60to35
    60to35 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hokas- I have arthritic knees and toes and these are like running on cushions.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Saucony Kinvara. 4mm drop, neutral, light weight, wide toe box. BOOM!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Ignore any advice to get a particular brand. What one person loves another one hates. Only you can decide what you like. Also, getting the wrong type of shoe for your gait can lead to injury.

If you like the New Balance shoes get them again. Just be aware that companies make changes to their shoes each year so getting the new version of the same shoe may give you a different experience.

My advice is to visit a local running store (a real specialty store, not a big department store) and have them evaluate your stride. Then choose a shoe that is made for your foot. Every company will have one that works - just find the one that feels best.

Good luck.

PS - I couldn't find anything on the drop of these shoes but assuming they are typical running shoes with 8-11 mm drop, switching to lightweight shoes with a 4 mm drop is not a trivial change.
  • ParadisePat
    ParadisePat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks. All. I was hoping there was one shoe to rule them all but I guess not.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I assume you've been analyzed for your gait? That's more important than anyone particular brand...you can have a great shoe but if it's neutral and you pronate, you're going to be in a world of hurt. Most brands have different models to accommodate your gate.

My wife is partial to Hokas...I like Brooks (Glycerin to be specific)...but again, there isn't a universally perfect shoe...it comes down to your gate and then your preferences after that.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Ignore any advice to get a particular brand. What one person loves another one hates. Only you can decide what you like. Also, getting the wrong type of shoe for your gait can lead to injury.

If you like the New Balance shoes get them again. Just be aware that companies make changes to their shoes each year so getting the new version of the same shoe may give you a different experience.

My advice is to visit a local running store (a real specialty store, not a big department store) and have them evaluate your stride. Then choose a shoe that is made for your foot. Every company will have one that works - just find the one that feels best.

Good luck.

PS - I couldn't find anything on the drop of these shoes but assuming they are typical running shoes with 8-11 mm drop, switching to lightweight shoes with a 4 mm drop is not a trivial change.

This.

But I enjoy Brooks for running shoes. Best to go to an actual running store.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    eJFtFC2.jpg

That said I've used some New Balance and the last year it's been all Saucony Kinvara.