Turning 25, 340lbs, and trying to change my life... I need tips!

Options
Hello there! My name is Maria. I'll be turning 25 years old at the end of August. While I'm aware that 25 is young, I'm freaking out about the thought of being a quarter of a century old and having not much accomplished with my life. I really do believe that 95% of this lack of feeling accomplished has to do with being so overweight. I'm 5'4 and 340lbs give or take. I need to find a scale to get an exact weight. So I've set a goal for myself to start my 25th year being healthy, all around healthy. If I can get started now, I think by August 31st I will be recognizing some changes in myself. I've tried for as long as I can remember to loose weight fast. From hearing lots of stories of people loosing weight fast and it never staying off, to the big New York Times article that came out this week.... I've realized fast weight loss is not the best solution. I want to go down that path that will lead to long. Lasting results. Please feel free to leave me your best tips! I need all the encouragement I can get. Thank you!

-Maria

Replies

• Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You can definitely do this. Best decision I ever made was buying a food scale and weighing all my solids and measuring all my liquids in a measuring cup. I literally weigh everything, even packaged fruit bars that are 45 calories. I found things are rarely the weight they are supposed to be. My bread is always 20 calories more than if I'd just gone by two slices is 120 on the package. Weighing seemed cumbersome at first but now it's pretty quick and kinda fun. I bring my scale to the office even. I eat all the things I love as long as it fits into my calories for the day. I find getting enough fiber, protein, and far keep me full the longest. Slow and steady wins the race and you'll get there!
  • gohawks1988
    gohawks1988 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Maria... I weighed over 410 lbs...I got down to under 300 in a span of just under 36 months. It's really as simple as counting your calories. MFP offers some great tools and there are many supportive people on here to help in our weight loss journeys. All I did was counted my calories and exercised and the weight came off..
  • jjgrambor
    jjgrambor Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You take it one day at a time. Slow and steady wins the race. I've lost 60 pounds over the last 10 months I still have a ways to go. I'm 40 and have been over weight for the last 18 years. I tried every diet out there, but would give up when I didn't see results quick enough. I've made up my mind now that it's time to take my life back and for me to be happy again, and it's happening right now.
    Start by making small changes, like before I started this weight loss I stopped drinking sweet tea everyday and put Splenda in my coffee instead of sugar. I only drink water these days and lots of it. You should try to drink half of your body weight in ounces of water a day to flush yourself out but no more then a gallon and a half a day. I try to stay at 1200 calories a day and I allow myself one cheat day a week to have what ever I want. This is for me how I have manged to stay going strong. It gives me something to look forward to. Try to start by walking 10mins a day until you can go to 30. At first I had a very hard time with working out, now i'm stronger then I have ever been. You can do this I know you can. You made up your mind and yes it will take time, but every good food choice you make will help you get there quicker. Remember we all fail so days but we get u and start over just don't give up! What Iv'e learned that helped me the most is that protein will be your best friend and carbs will keep you from losing weight. Fat does not make you fat sugar does and once you take that out of your diet the weight will start falling off I promise you.
    Good luck,
    Jenny
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I think I was in a similar situation as you, just a few years older when I started.

Lost around the 140-150lb so far, down to 185. Took time, day after day week after week.

You might not lose weight every week but you head in the right direction.

I found preligging my food for the day helped, so your not caught out and have something you didn't want.

For me also not being so strict helped, a lot of people seem to cut so much from their diet and burn out and quit.

Think more lifestyle and less diet, do things you can imagine doing for ever.

Are you going to give up pizza for life? If no then find a way to include it in your calories while losing weight, for example.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I think good ideas are:
    1. eat distinct meals, don't snack - you will eat more by snacking
    2. eat nutritious foods - will help control cravings and crowd out room for bad foods
    3. limit refined carbs - the resulting insulin high and then blood sugar low will make you really hungry and you will eat more
    4. Eat at a deficit - I think intermittent fasting is the easiest way since fasting acts like an appetite suppressant and helps reduce insulin resistance and high insulin levels which promote fat storage and inhibit fat loss.
    5. Be careful with artificial sweeteners. Although your blood sugar won't go up, some can elicit an insulin response from what I've read.
    6. Drink lots of water
    7. Get good sleep - will give you more will power and you will be able to exercise better. Reduces cortisol. High cortisol can increase insulin levels.
    8. Exercise - don't injure yourself!
    9. Be patient it will take awhile but will be worth it. Don't do extreme things that are not sustainable.

Good luck!
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Recognise that you will have days where everything goes wrong, they happen so don't be nasty to yourself about it. The best thing is that every day is a brand new day and you get to try all over again. Leave yesterday behind and focus on getting today right. Making long lasting lifestyle changes is not like flicking a switch, they take practice and you get better at it over time.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    lc355 wrote: »
    Recognise that you will have days where everything goes wrong, they happen so don't be nasty to yourself about it. The best thing is that every day is a brand new day and you get to try all over again. Leave yesterday behind and focus on getting today right. Making long lasting lifestyle changes is not like flicking a switch, they take practice and you get better at it over time.

Great advice. I read a lot about people loosing control for a day and it devastates them and they get depressed and quit altogether. I've had a few of those days and when I do I think, o well must have needed it (mentally or physically)! And then I just try again the next day. A little bit of compliance is way better than none at all. If I couldn't ever muster up the will to try, then that would be a problem. I also notice that if you eat a lot for one day, you can gain a few lbs of food and water weight. Very little of it is fat weight. The body can't gain fat that fast. If I have a bad day and get back with it, I'm back weight-wise where I was in a couple of days. I don't gain anything (I probably gained a very little but lost it also in the couple of days back on the diet) so the biggest hit was I wasted a couple of days where I didn't progress but at least I didn't regress either.
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Hi Maria! Come join us in the "100 + pounds with NO surgery" group. I'm on my phone & can't figure out how to post a link, sorry. Search for it in the groups. It's an awesome & supportive group of folks. I've lost 132 pounds so far with MFP & the awesome folks in that group.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Hi Maria! I am also 25, and started a year ago around the same weight as you. I'm down 80lbs! Feel free to add me if you like. Best of luck to you!