My goals.

I don't know if anyone will reply but I currently weigh at 10st 6lbs now under maybe and I did weigh 13st 2lbs. I made this leap in 5 months and now at the weight I want to be have found myself happy again. However I'm so used to my diet of eating less and constantly checking labels and not eating foods I don't know how to transition to maintains. I now have to just shred the little fat on me but feel that if I eat more I may get big again. I was wondering if there was anyone with help for me. I'm a active worker as a roofer during the day, go to the gym 5 days a week and play football every Wednesday. Hopefully someone can help!

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    Congrats on your success! Read the other threads on this board. Lots of people have a hard time transitioning to maintenance because it's a trial and error process to find what works for you exactly. Just keep doing what you've been doing, maybe gradually increase your calories if you are still losing and want to maintain.

Mainly, appreciate and celebrate your success and trust the process. You lost the weight. You can figure out how to maintain but it doesn't happen over night.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member
    How about taking it gradually? Add a hundred or so calories a day depending on how extreme your deficit's been, see what happens in a week or two, add another chunk of calories if you're still losing, etc. You won't gain it all back overnight, you'll have a chance to adjust: Plan a maintenance range of weight, with upper & lower warning weights that trigger you to go into slow-losing or slow-gaining mode if you go past them for a few days. If your weight creeps up, you know how to lose it - you've proven that. You can do this!
  • georgebrown1122
    georgebrown1122 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you very much too the both of you they've definitely helped and does make me have the motivation to know I can get there!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited May 2016
    I don't know how to transition to maintains.
    Either slow or fast - long term it won't make any difference.
    I now have to just shred the little fat on me but feel that if I eat more I may get big again.
    You will regain your weight if you manage to eat c. 133,000 calories above your maintenance level over a long period of time without noticing or intervening. Not very likely is it? It's where you have to make your mind control your emotions. The maths that worked to lose weight in a deficit also works to eat at maintenance.
    I was wondering if there was anyone with help for me. I'm a active worker as a roofer during the day, go to the gym 5 days a week and play football every Wednesday. Hopefully someone can help!
    Easiest way to get in the ball-park of your maintenance calories is to go by your recent rate of weight loss - 1lb / week means you are approx. 500 cals under maintenance daily. (A decent sized sandwich - so not that hard to increase!)
    Then fine tune maintenance calories over time.

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    I too have sometimes a low calorie day. Sometimes i take it...and eat the next day more. Otherwise i "solve" it with ending the day with a bowl of ice cream ore peanut butter or both.

I dont "allow" myself to many of the days to just leave it low because i noticed that it has effect on my exercise ( faster tired) or daily functioning.

So when i am only at 1200 or 1500 NET i snack more in the evening till i got my calories. And easy to do with some high calorie yummie stuff.