Blister prevention?

Options
Hi everyone,

I did C25K last year, and the last few weeks of the program, got blisters on both feet, towards the inside edge, just under the balls of my feet. After it finally healed, I tried some stuff. First I changed my socks. That didn't help, so I changed my shoes (turns out I'm a over pronater, and needed more support). And that helped a bit, but after the 20 minute run last week, I got another blister. Tonight, I tried doubling up on my socks, and while it prevented an actual blister from forming (I still have a sore spot), it was hot! And I really don't want to do that long term. I've heard of taping the parts that are prone to blisters. Has anyone tried that? Any other tips?

Replies

• sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Surprising to still get blisters after changing your shoes. What made a big difference for me was changing my shoes and swapping to Run Breeze double layered anti blister socks (they're so comfy).

You could also try products like baby powder which absorbs moisture or Bodyglide which creates a slippery surface or I think someone recently recommended the 2Toms products from here: http://www.ultramarathonrunningstore.com/Running-Blisters-Chafing-Prevention-Care-Treatment-s/1937.htm
  • Jeff_01022014
    Jeff_01022014 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used Elastoplast Sport Elastowrap over bandaids in the past and that worked well. Previous to that I used petroleum jelly, which also worked but destroys your shoes and socks over time.

Now I use blister preventing socks and am fine. I think that my feet have adjusted over the last 2 years of running to be less prone to blistering. I'll still get some blisters on top of some toes if I race something like a marathon.

Am much happier now, not having to use petroleum jelly or tape because it took too long to get ready.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Body glide your feet. It won't destroy fabrics. Balega socks work for me.

Also you may have changed to the wrong shoes, if they give you blisters after 20 minutes. The right shoe won't need to be broken in...there are many options out there for over-pronators, so don't be afraid to return the shoes and try something else out.

• fubsyfern
    fubsyfern Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I didn't even know they made blister preventing socks! That's awesome! =)
  • professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i used to duct tape my feet to prevent blisters when I went backpacking, but it was sort of a backcountry hack for hotspots, not necessarily something that would be appropriate for normal life. and it's rough on clothes; there's still duct tape residue on my liners after several years!