successful runners

Options
Hi
ive just began to run, i can only do this in the morning at the weekends, and also on days off work. i managed to do it twice this week along with a session of zumba.

i would like to know did anyone suffer with water retention introducing running into their plan.

and how are people finding running helping with their weight loss?

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have found that since I started running seriously in February (training for a half marathon!) my weight has pretty much stayed the same. I eat more now, though and to be honest for much of that time I've been much more focused on making progress in my exercise goals than I have with my calorie goals.
    However, I have also lost a pants size... So, I'm good with it. :)
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I only notice water retention after a race or when I do a long run. It usually goes away within a few days. Running has helped me with weight loss by allowing me to eat more.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Hi
    ive just began to run, i can only do this in the morning at the weekends, and also on days off work. i managed to do it twice this week along with a session of zumba.

i would like to know did anyone suffer with water retention introducing running into their plan.

and how are people finding running helping with their weight loss?

I noticed a little water retention for the first few weeks of my c25k program. During this time, my legs were quite sore after each run, and i carried a few extra pounds. As my legs got used to running, the soreness, and the water weight, left me.
  • pugglepants318
    pugglepants318 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have run many half marathons and a full marathon, and I think running does help with weight loss, but it also makes you really hungry, so be careful and make sure you are eating nutrient dense filling foods to keep you full. Also, I have seen much more progress in weight loss and body composition since I started weight lifting compared to when I was logging 30+ miles a week without doing weight training.

Weights make a big difference.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I stayed the same today.. I'm guessing I can put that down to water retention because I was really God dam sore both times I ran
    To the point of not being able to walk. I'll keep doing it and see what happens
  • beckym215
    beckym215 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have run many half marathons and a full marathon, and I think running does help with weight loss, but it also makes you really hungry, so be careful and make sure you are eating nutrient dense filling foods to keep you full. Also, I have seen much more progress in weight loss and body composition since I started weight lifting compared to when I was logging 30+ miles a week without doing weight training.

Weights make a big difference.

I second this! I run 3-4 days a week and weight train 1 or 2. I recently got injured and haven't been able to run, so I have been weight and circuit training 3-4 days a week instead (and no running). I've noticed that I'm burning the same amount of calories in a day (some days even MORE) than I was when I was running 5 miles! Its because when you stop running, you stop burning calories. But when you weight train, your muscles keep burning calories even after you're done. And adding muscle means you're burning more resting calories, too.
    I love to run, but I am definitely seeing the benefits of weight training more often, so I plan to switch things up a bit.
    Running will help you lose weight for sure, because it burns lots of a calories. Just be careful not to eat them all back! Fuel properly (I like a small protein and a small carb before a run), and don't increase mileage too fast or you'll get injured (no more than 10% of your distance each week).
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Running is my easiest and most efficient activity. I just go at an easy and enjoyable pace. I keep the calories in less than the calories out, and just like any other exercise, it allows me add to my calorie goal, eat more, and lose weight. I can easily drop two pounds after a run so I don't think I have much of a water retention problem there.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I stayed the same today.. I'm guessing I can put that down to water retention because I was really God dam sore both times I ran

Well you definitely can't make any kind of judgement after one day...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Running has really advanced my cardiovascular endurance in a few short weeks and strengthened my legs. All exercise is good for you and it's part of the CO side of CI<CO. If you run and don't change your eating habits, you're unlikely to lose weight.

Water retention is just part of life. It's attributable to many things, comes and goes, and is not something you need to feel like you "suffer from" because you do a particular exercise. In weight loss, I'm going for FAT loss, not water loss (or muscle loss).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    beckym215 wrote: »
    I've noticed that I'm burning the same amount of calories in a day (some days even MORE) than I was when I was running 5 miles!

How are you measuring that?
    Its because when you stop running, you stop burning calories. But when you weight train, your muscles keep burning calories even after you're done.

The effect is negligible, the extra single figure calorie expenditure isn't meaningful.
    but I am definitely seeing the benefits of weight training more often,

Resistance training does help with reduced injury risk and running efficiency, so it should be part of a running programme.
  • leahcollett1
    Options

Well you definitely can't make any kind of judgement after one day...

It has been a week.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    ill keep going - i think it took my body 3 weeks when i first began body combat training to get a loss - my body just loves to hold onto water lol.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    oh could anyone give me an info on the couck to 25k? is it an app?
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    ill keep going - i think it took my body 3 weeks when i first began body combat training to get a loss - my body just loves to hold onto water lol.

Yes, give it time. Its new, that happens. Then your body gets accustomed to it and woosh. Thats what my weight loss pattern looks like. The first week I gained not loss. The next week was losing what I gained. I cant even imagine now if I had stressed over my first 2-3 weeks of weight loss.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I found running for weight loss the only thing that I consistently lost weight with. (I enjoy eating so wanted more calories to play with.) I tried other things like Jillian Michaels and Insanity also, my strength improved and my endurance for running was really good from insanity, but I gained weight. I guess probably a good thing would be if I mixed up stuff like Insanity with running so that my running would improve, but at the moment I am just enjoying running in the fresh air.
  • hawksfan881972
    hawksfan881972 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    oh could anyone give me an info on the couck to 25k? is it an app?

This is an app. It gives audio and visual ques to start and stop running. It's a good place to start a running program if you've never done one before. I'm currently about to start week three, and it has helped me lose 10 lbs (also changed my diet). So far, none of my running workouts have been longer than 31 minutes.
  • chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm a runner. I love running. I run marathon, half and etc.....

It's a lot of misleading information in this so I'm going to try and clear some of it up.

First off, everyone is different so what works for you may not work for the next person.

Running, when you first start out, is tough on the body. You are likely to get sore and thus retain some water. It's all good. As you become more fit and accustomed to running, it won't be this way. It will still be challenging but you will see that your not as sore. I actually run on my recovery days.

Secondly, running is NO excuse to go and add insane calories to your diet. I'm so sick of people saying I ran so I'm going to eat all this extra stuff. Any exercise will make you hungry as the body needs fuel. However, if you are trying to lose weight don't go adding all those cals back.

Your exercise schedule should be around your eating schedule. That keeps you in line with making sure you refuel after working out. So i.e, workout just before diner or breakfast or lunch. Doing that will help make sure you are eating within your normal limits. Grab a light snack to fuel your workout about an hour or hour and half before hand and get to it. As you progress, add calories as needed to help promote good muscle growth and health. You just started, you don't need an extra 600 calories!

Third, running is a cardiovascular exercise. It is going to help your cardiovascular system greatly. You will develop strength in your legs mainly from running. Weight training is for muscle growth. These two go hand in hand. Just running alone without weight training is probably going to lead to injuries. I been there done that. You need to cross train your body in all areas. Running is taxing on your legs, arms, core and back. Yes, it is! Running requires strength in all these areas. Trust me when you get to around mile 13 you will see just how heavy your arms are.

Finally, running is an awesome exercise. It will definitely help you lose weight. The amount of weight loss is going to be up to you and what your diet consists of. Running 3 miles and then eating an extra 600 cal just isn't going to cut it.

Sorry, I had to clear up some of this cause it was misleading info in here.

Add me as a friend and I can help you through all aspects of it.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    Thank you what a really informative post! Yea I go by tdee so I never eat my exercise cals back. It's too misleading on burnt cals etc. Thats really a good idea to run around meal times x