How do women's pant sizes work?

Options
Hi :)

So, how do women's sizes work?

I started at between a 22W and a 20W. Now, with some muffin top, I am between an 18W and a 16W.
When do the "normal" sizes take over from the W sizes? Is a loose 16W like a regular 18?
is there even such a thing as a regular 18 or do they start their stores at 16?

It's been so long since I shopped at a "normal" store, I have no idea.

Replies

• stronglikebull
    Options
    It can vary wildly by chain but most retail stores carry up to a 16 in 'regular' sizes. Plus size generally starts at 18.
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    it's the 1st time I head of W in pant sizes, I've seen it in shoes however, sorry I'm no help I'd better shut up now:frown:
  • rn_jacki
    rn_jacki Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was recently told at Lands End that the "W" was more 'petite' meaning shorter than the others. So a 16W would be the same as a 16, just shorter. Not sure if this is true or not, but thought I'd pass it along.
  • jenniferlspies
    Options
    It looks like, according to this chart from Penny's (http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/womensizes.aspx?refpagename=CustomerServiceSub%252Easpx&refdeptid=12476&refcatid=43027&CmCatId=customerservice|43027), that a 16W is between a regular 16 and 18. Of course, it varies from store to store and brand to brand. Regular sizes go up to 18, before they go into W sizes.
  • rure13
    rure13 Posts: 86
    Options
    It depends on the store but from what I've seen they go to size 18 as regular and higher than that is plus size
  • OttawaJeannie
    Options
    Thanks everyone. That makes sense. Something to look forward to. Almost there :)
  • jenniferlspies
    Options
    Thanks everyone. That makes sense. Something to look forward to. Almost there :)

Good luck! I just out of the plus sizes (and am in a size 10!) and I cannot wait to get down to the single digits. It still feels strange not to be looking for clothes in the plus size side.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Y'all may laugh if I told you I enjoy watching home shopping network, like QVC or HSN. :D
    They have size charts for both world: misses and women. You might want to take a look at those numbers to get a rough idea. :)
  • dee412
    dee412 Posts: 3
    Options
    W use to mean Women. P meant Petite (shorter). These days there is vanity sizing so it depends on item, store, designer/manufacturer -- way too many factors.
  • OttawaJeannie
    Options
    Totally forgot about vanity sizes. Crap :)
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Totally forgot about vanity sizes. Crap :)

I still say it's 18. And some stores like Old Navy don't carry 'W' that I've seen.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I always thought it was more along the lines of the way the material was cut.... petite for 5'3 or less (shorter legs), junior sizes for those that don't have much of a hip to waist ratio and smaller thighs, regular for those that have some "shape" and normal thighs, misses for those that have more hip/booty to waist ratio (but still considered regular), and W or womens cut for those that have more in the hip/booty area and larger thighs. Then you get into the plus sizes that generally start at 16-18 and up, but can be regular, W or petite.

Then again with vanity sizing... God only knows! :ohwell: