Cleanse

Options
I started the GM cleanse with a friend the other day. I just want to give my metabolism a kick start and get used to avoiding processed foods all together. Yesterday was fruit day and today is veggie day. So far, so good. I definitely feel a little difference already and am incorporating exercise everday day. I'm excited to weigh in at the end of the week. Anyone done this one before?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    nope!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism isn't something that gets kickstarted, rebooted or boosted. Cleanses don't actually cleanse anything. Your kidneys and liver do all of your cleansing for you and if they weren't doing their job properly you'd be in a hospital or worse.

IMO, cleanses and detoxes are more trouble than their worth and potentially dangerous. It's far better to just eat a balanced diet of a variety of foods and create a calorie deficit for weight loss.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Got kidneys and a liver? You don't need a cleanse or detox. Eat a healthy Mediterranean style diet and exercise and log.
  • maddybear
    maddybear Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ahh, alright then. Good to know and thanks for the feedback!
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Oh lawd. At first I thought, man, nothing but fruits & vegetables for a week isn't going to have pretty consequences. But hopefully those 'up to 8 bananas' you're allowed to eat on day 4 should bind you back up a little. And then they add in meat, but it's beef & not chicken or turkey, which seems odd.

Everyone above is right, cleanses aren't necessary and usually don't deliver on their promises. Mostly they just make you poop.

ETA: I've seen worse 'cleanses'. And at least you didn't pay anyone for this one. Best case scenario you start incorporating more produce into your normal diet.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    As long as you have kidneys and a liver you don't need to do a cleanse.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why am I not surprised that the GM diet has been rebranded as a "cleanse" to fit the obsessions and trends of today.

First, it's a scam -- it has nothing to do with General Motors (and I always wonder why GM is supposed to be a great brand for dieting anyway).

Second, it's not healthy. The "eat only this" and food combining things are nonsense. You might lose some weight because it's likely to be a VLC diet, and most people lose a bunch of water weight at the beginning of a diet, especially if you cut way down on sodium. The "diet" or "cleanse" then takes responsibility for it. Personally, I think that it's unhealthy doesn't matter much if you only do it for a week, but it certainly would not be beneficial, or result in a practical, sustainable approach.

Third, your metabolism does not need to be "kickstarted." I don't know why there's this myth that you have to do something really extreme to get your body to lose weight. Your body can lose weight just fine with a calorie deficit and if that's not so it's a medical issue for a doctor, not some scam "cleanse."
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Well, I see my input has already been covered by previous posters. Nice work everyone.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I've found that hygenic cleansing with soap and water after workouts improves my mood and attractiveness.

Diet "cleanses" make people into unattractive grumpy monsters.

I recommend a shower and a decent balanced diet o:)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    no need to do a cleanse...our bodies can do that very well for themselves...
  • dmgday
    dmgday Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I've found that hygenic cleansing with soap and water after workouts improves my mood and attractiveness.

Diet "cleanses" make people into unattractive grumpy monsters.

I recommend a shower and a decent balanced diet o:)

Perfect response