Over 40 and Over weight

Options
My daughter told me about MyFitnessPal and I thought nothing else has worked, so why not. I'm not sure why I can't log my Daily Diary if I don't eat enough calories. Any help on how to use this new app would be appreciated.

Replies

• thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the over 40 club. MFP is helping me in the best shape of my life. Add me if you need a friend.
  • burnfatty17
    burnfatty17 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Best years of your life now let's get healthy!!
  • smithy68mfp
    smithy68mfp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi just added this app today and I have 40 lbs to lose .
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    It is a great app and it works- I'm 47, have been here just over a year, and have lost 40 lbs (deliberately taking it slow). You can't close your log if you eat under 1000 calories so as not to encourage those with eating disorders. Your log for the day still "counts", but it won't post on your news feed or give a 5 week prediction. But the main thing is, don't eat that little! Less is not better! 1200 is the minimum recommendation for women to get enough nutrition, and if you are just starting out and have any substantial amount of weight to lose, it's likely not necessary to even go that low. Many start and choose a 2 lb/week goal wanting to get the weight off fast, but often it's a recipe for disaster- too little, too fast and people get discouraged and quit. Choose a goal that's sustainable and will allow you to stick with it in the long run. I have 40 lbs left to lose and have my goal set at 1 lb/week. Wish you the best :)
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Yeah , MyFitnessPal tends to get ouchy if you're way under calories and that's actually a good thing because you need to eat to lose weight. I know, it sounds crazy but eating under your calories (especially way under) can actually stall your weight loss . Our bodies are smart and will hangbon to weight if they think we are starving, which is what happens when wr drastically cut calories. And also we need calories to work out, which builds muscle and helps us get healthy . Good luck on your journey! Feel free to add me. I'm over 40 and have lost about 35 pounds.