I'm starving!!

Options
2»

Replies

• jtd2001
    jtd2001 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1200 calories a day and I find that spacing out my food to 4 meals a day keeps me from feeling hungry
  • AmandaIsherwood3
    AmandaIsherwood3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Im on the 1200 calories a day. I'm 5ft, currently weigh 185lb aged 39. At first I really struggled on this low amount i was weak, moody, tired i realised that although i was eating my 1200 they were not being used on much food, now I'm learning to use my calories better, as a example I used to buy a small whole wheat spicy chicken pasta salad box from my local supermarket, thinking at 300 calories it was good and healthy, now I make my own, today I had a massive salad with 200g of chicken breast, rocket, tomatoes, cucumber and low fat mayo, total 304 calories. The amount I eat now is brilliant, and still in my 1200, today I went on a 90 minute walk and used half the calories it said on here to have myself a chocolate bar.
  • sebedina
    sebedina Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have read that a lot of our hunger is actualy our bodies not having enough water. if you feel hungry even when you think you have eatin earlier drink a glass of water if your hunger goes away its a sighn that you could be dehydrated. it is a proven fact that we as people actually do not drink enough water even without exercise it is recommended we drink at least 8 8oz cups of water a day,and more if your exercising. hope this helps

Maybe.... i've heard this before but haven't actually tried the 8 glasses of water a day to see if it makes a difference...Maybe i will do this tomorrow
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    There are several science based studies. Here is just one link but I can send you more. Make sure what you are reading is a credible source. Some stuff on the internet can be inconclusive even though it may seem credible. Also, are you googling for "weight loss" or that it has been proven to curb appetite and make someone feel fuller for longer? Glucomannan is a natural, water-soluble dietary fiber extracted from the roots of the elephant yam, also known as konjac. Glucomannan is sold as a additive, specifically as an emulsifier or thickener. It has a remarkable ability for absorption. To prove the point, you can empty a capsule of glucomannan in a small glass of water and the entire contents will turn to gel. To add to its value, it is very low in calorie count. The main reason it is so effective is because the fluids in your stomach cause it to gel and makes you feel full. I also study these things as a medical student and there have been several studies showing this supplement to help a person full longer over the course of my work. As with everything, different things react differently to different bodies, so it may work better for some than others. As in my experience, it has helped curb my appetite tremendously. There is also lots of other health benefits it provides as well.
    https://authoritynutrition.com/glucomannan/

WebMD throws a big question mark on the effectiveness of this stuff.

Drugs.com states, "However, there is a lack of adequately sized quality clinical trials to support these uses." and then goes on to give a number of reasons not to use it.

Which goes back to the common sense approach--there is no magic pill for weight loss. It takes diet and exercise.
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have read that a lot of our hunger is actualy our bodies not having enough water. if you feel hungry even when you think you have eatin earlier drink a glass of water if your hunger goes away its a sighn that you could be dehydrated. it is a proven fact that we as people actually do not drink enough water even without exercise it is recommended we drink at least 8 8oz cups of water a day,and more if your exercising. hope this helps

It's important to stay hydrated, and what we perceive as hunger can be thirst. However the 8 glasses of water thing is a myth. http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You can probably have success eating a little more. I'm 5'2", 136 and am currently losing, albeit slowly, on 1400 calories per day. I don't calculate exercise. I just eat 1400 every day. I started at 148 in January. For the first two months, I was able to lose on 1500 calories.

I try to eat at least 120 grams of protein a day and my carbs and fats vary. That amount of protein helps keep me more full.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid that starving feeling. We know that our bodies try to compensate for reduced calories. I rest more deeply, fidget less, and although I can usually muster up the energy for exercise, I get a whole lot less housework done when I'm overly hungry. I take that starving feeling as a sign that I'm pushing too hard. A calorie level that leaves you "a little hungry" each day should be your goal.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Cave_Goose wrote: »
    I find I get hungry a lot too but what has really helped is I bought an ALL natural supplement that is backed by science to help lose weight by helping you feel full longer (Its really just a certain kind of fiber) What it does it makes you feel full longer.

What science? As soon as I started Googling it, all I could find was reliable websites saying it was unproven and "might" work.

There are several science based studies. Here is just one link but I can send you more. Make sure what you are reading is a credible source. Some stuff on the internet can be inconclusive even though it may seem credible. Also, are you googling for "weight loss" or that it has been proven to curb appetite and make someone feel fuller for longer? Glucomannan is a natural, water-soluble dietary fiber extracted from the roots of the elephant yam, also known as konjac. Glucomannan is sold as a dietary additive, specifically as an emulsifier or thickener. It has a remarkable ability for absorption. To prove the point, you can empty a capsule of glucomannan in a small glass of water and the entire contents will turn to gel. To add to its value, it is very low in calorie count. The main reason it is so effective is because the fluids in your stomach cause it to gel and makes you feel full. I also study these things as a medical student and there have been several studies showing this supplement to help a person full longer over the course of my work. As with everything, different things react differently to different bodies, so it may work better for some than others. As in my experience, it has helped curb my appetite tremendously. There is also lots of other health benefits it provides as well.
    https://authoritynutrition.com/glucomannan/

Glucomannan does help me stay full but it also gave me acid reflux so I stopped using it. You get 114 servings for $12.95 here: http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Glucomannan-100-Pure-Powder-8-oz-227-g/38548.
    Wow, thanks, that's a better deal than capsules. Love this stuff!
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    The major problem with MFP is that it sets protein too low. Aim for at least 120g of protein on non-exercise days and at least 150g on exercise days, that should help with the hunger. Apart from that, it will get easier, just stick it out with the whole foods, complex carbs, healthy fats, good luck :)
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Similar stats here (142 pounds and 5'4", trying to lose 10-20 pounds) and similar calorie goal (I eat back some of exercise calories but sometimes I don't to make up for higher calorie weekends, etc.).

I pair my dinner with a big chopped salad. Lots of lettuce, kale, celery, carrots, radishes. I make a home-made low-cal dressing (super easy to make with some apple cider vinegar, roasted garlic seasoning, soy sauce) and I top the salad with a few tablespoons of salsa. It is so satisfying and great for the warmer weather.

Or, you can steam a pile of vegetables. Frozen vegetables work in a pinch too.

I recently discovered frozen fruit as a snack. I thaw it in the microwave for 30 secs, but not all the way through so it's still somewhat cold and crunchy, and it makes for a great snack in the evening.

A few other tricks... I find coffee, tea and other low-cal beverages really help

If you want a snack, cucumber sticks, carrot sticks and celery will make a big serving and usually very filling.

• walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Did you tell MFP you wanted to lose 2 pounds a week? Pick a more reasonable goal and you'll get a more reasonable number of calories.

^^ This. Unless you are very obese, 2 lbs/wk is too aggressive.
    .5 lb to 1 lb/ wk is a more appropriate goal, depending on how much you have to lose. This will give you more calories, and will be more sustainable for you.

lol, this site is not very friendly toward women who try to net 1200 calories. If I net 1200 calories, I barely lose 1 pound per week. That is not an aggressive goal in my book.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I'm 46 yrs old and 5'2, I eat between 1700-1900 calories to lose weight. That's netting around 1200-1300 calories with exercise.

^^ Same goes for me.
    (Been maintaining my goal weight for 3+ years eating 2100-2300 calories gross.)
  • lisaishere
    lisaishere Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm 45, and also 5' 2". I have to net 1200 to lose weight, and it's a slow process. I have days I am super hungry and here are a few not too damaging snacks I have found that help on those days:

- scrambled egg whites with broccoli and a little salt (40cal)
    - A cup 'o soup and a bunch of herbal tea (30cal)
    - Two laughing cow wedges on celery (80 cal)
    - Sautéed kale with crumbled cauliflower(40cal)
    - Emergency-c pineapple coconut flavor (35cal)

Hope this helps!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,962 Member
    Options
    Did you tell MFP you wanted to lose 2 pounds a week? Pick a more reasonable goal and you'll get a more reasonable number of calories.

^^ This. Unless you are very obese, 2 lbs/wk is too aggressive.
    .5 lb to 1 lb/ wk is a more appropriate goal, depending on how much you have to lose. This will give you more calories, and will be more sustainable for you.

lol, this site is not very friendly toward women who try to net 1200 calories. If I net 1200 calories, I barely lose 1 pound per week. That is not an aggressive goal in my book.

How many pounds do you need to lose to get to your goal weight?
  • chartrandpatricia
    chartrandpatricia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow I didn't expect that much feedback. I appreciate all the comments, Ill try a few things and I hope it'll help. Thanks everyone!!