Grocery List Help

Options
Ok everyone i need help making my grocery list. I am an extremely picky eater i like almost no veggies..Corn & potatoes those arent even good for you either. I need help!!!!! Any suggestion on some healthy foods is much appreciated..I know i dont leave much options...

TIA

Replies

• Bizzul
    Bizzul Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm the same way. I don't eat any vegetables. I make up for it as best I can by eating a lot of fruit and taking vitamins. I don't know if it's sufficient or not, but it seems to work for me.
  • Andeenero
    Andeenero Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    what about fruit? I like to make a salad out of very thinly sliced apples instead of lettuce sometimes. i throw in some halved tomatoes, a couple of walnuts pieces and maybe even a sprinkling of feta cheese with some light italian dressing on top. its a good blend of flavors.
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    try frozen vegetables...if you don't like the taste try a natural yoghurt and garlic sauce. I use about 1 -2 table spoons of natural greek yogurt, some lemon juice and a tea spoon on garlic. If you don't like garlic try the same ingriendients with ginger.
  • irishwitch
    irishwitch Posts: 21
    Options
    All veggies are good for you. Some just have more carbs/strach then others. Try sweet potatoes maybe since you like potatoes. And you can always try dicing veggies up small and putting them in your meals. You may not even know they are there. V8 juice is good to. I use V-8 fusion with the fruit. I get the light so not as many cals or sugar. I would also suggest trying ones you have never had before you may like them. I use to be a vegetarian so if you have any questions or want maybe some recipes let me know. :) Veggies are great.

Stephanie
  • Garae
    Garae Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hmm... maybe buy veggies...but buy a low sodium sauce to make them taste better? I use Kikkoman's low sodium terriyaki sauce on my stir fry, 15 calories for 2 tablespoons, and it tastes delicious to me!
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I used to hate veggies. I think they can be an aquired taste. I would say sample some here and there. Maybe try a new one each week. Make it three times in the week. Figure out what veg you will try first and get some recipies that sound yummy. Personally i go in fits and spurts. Sometimes I am all about broccoli, sometimes Brussell sprouts. Sometimes I want green beans or corn. Maybe try a bag of stir-fry. THere's bound to be one veg in there you'll like. Now I am hungry for stir-fry. ugh. :)
  • cindyxh
    cindyxh Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't like them either but I try to at least a salad or two per week. I also try to make up the difference with fruit and I love Craisins when I get the munchies. You can also try to put a little olive oil, garlic, and parmesan cheese on veggies. It makes them taste much better and then you can bake them in the oven. I do that with broccoli and cauliflower. I've also grown to love asparagus- the whole spears by Del Monte are really good. Good Luck!
  • tabithajoyy
    tabithajoyy Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    what about fruit? I like to make a salad out of very thinly sliced apples instead of lettuce sometimes. i throw in some halved tomatoes, a couple of walnuts pieces and maybe even a sprinkling of feta cheese with some light italian dressing on top. its a good blend of flavors.

I love almost all fruits!!!
  • tabithajoyy
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far!! MUCH appreciated!
  • jid314
    jid314 Posts: 71
    Options
    Ok everyone i need help making my grocery list. I am an extremely picky eater i like almost no veggies..Corn & potatoes those arent even good for you either. I need help!!!!! Any suggestion on some healthy foods is much appreciated..I know i dont leave much options...

TIA

Turkey, turkey, turkey!

We buy turkey bacon, turkey burgers, turkey hot dogs, turkey smoked sausage (like polish sausage), turkey brats, groudn turkey (for spaghetti), etc. The turkey brats we buy are 170 calories - the regular brats we WERE buying had 290. I would eat 2 of them. I now put a single brat on an 80 calorie bun = 250 calories for the whole thing. You can also buy 0-calorie sauerkraut. Turkey dogs taste just like regular hot dogs but are quite a bit better for you (Jennie-O turkey dog is 70 cal, Oscar Meyer all beef are 140).
  • jid314
    jid314 Posts: 71
    Options
    Oh, and to everyone else's point - I do actually like veggies, but if you don't, look for the steamfresh packages from Green Giant. You can get mixed vegetables with cheese sauce and broccoli with cheese sauce - has a cheesy, good flavor, for very few calories!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    For the veggie haters, Jessica Seinfeld did a kid's cookbook a few years back that is all about sneaking veggies in meals and you can't tell they are there. You may want to see if you can get it from your local library to check it out.
  • totustuusmaria
    totustuusmaria Posts: 182 Member
    Options

TIA

My sister-in-law is a very picky eater, so I totally understand if you are not feeling any of these ideas and am not offended in the least!

Some ideas I have...

Hiding the veggies!

Boca Veggie Burgers or Morning Star Burgers... you can't even taste the veggies! It tastes just like a burger!

Making a hidden veggie meatloaf (I've tried this recipe and its super good! and has a ton of veggies that are so hidden!) http://www.laaloosh.com/2011/05/09/vegetable-and-turkey-meatloaf-recipe/

Hiding the veggies in things you do like, such as putting little tiny tiny sprigs of cooked broccoli in some healthy mac & cheese or putting them on a healthy pizza, maybe making some crab cakes and hiding some very thin-thin chopped up peppers/onions in there.

Stock up on some protein and produce so you can make a few big meals and then get some basics (sandwich stuff, soup, some protein you like (turkey, chicken, fish) and some basic sides you like. + some snack things that you like).

Here is a shopping list from hungrygirl. Browse it and the website http://www.hungry-girl.com and see if anything interests you. http://staging.hungry-girl.com/assets/pdfs/ShoppingList_Jan10_h.pdf . In the "News" section of the website she has a lot of articles on new things that have come out by different brands that are low cal/healthy that you can get at the grocery.

Have fun shopping!!!
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    Green Giant makes steamers in the frozen section that have veggies in them that are good.
  • tabithajoyy
    Options

TIA

My sister-in-law is a very picky eater, so I totally understand if you are not feeling any of these ideas and am not offended in the least!

Some ideas I have...

Hiding the veggies!

Boca Veggie Burgers or Morning Star Burgers... you can't even taste the veggies! It tastes just like a burger!

Making a hidden veggie meatloaf (I've tried this recipe and its super good! and has a ton of veggies that are so hidden!) http://www.laaloosh.com/2011/05/09/vegetable-and-turkey-meatloaf-recipe/

Hiding the veggies in things you do like, such as putting little tiny tiny sprigs of cooked broccoli in some healthy mac & cheese or putting them on a healthy pizza, maybe making some crab cakes and hiding some very thin-thin chopped up peppers/onions in there.

Stock up on some protein and produce so you can make a few big meals and then get some basics (sandwich stuff, soup, some protein you like (turkey, chicken, fish) and some basic sides you like. + some snack things that you like).

Here is a shopping list from hungrygirl. Browse it and the website http://www.hungry-girl.com and see if anything interests you. http://staging.hungry-girl.com/assets/pdfs/ShoppingList_Jan10_h.pdf . In the "News" section of the website she has a lot of articles on new things that have come out by different brands that are low cal/healthy that you can get at the grocery.

Have fun shopping!!!

GREAT IDEAS, THANK U