Gained weight due to anti-depressants?

Options
I discovered this online today. This is particularly for people who has gained weight from taking anti-depressants. From the looks of it there's good reviews :) . The book title is The Serotonin Power Diet. It's available in the Google play store for 9.99. I plan to get this and look for people who are willing to try this with me. Anyone up for this very different challenge :# ?? Message/Friend me!

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    So you are advocating for peolple to stop taking their antidepressants and try a book diet?!?

(Edit-forgot a word or two in my disbelief).
  • Day_knee
    Day_knee Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I take an anti depressant but it is for my IBS. Yes, they can cause you to gain weight for sure. I gained like 20 pounds since starting them. However, I have lost 18 pounds of the 20 since I started taking in less calories. It isn't easy especially with being 45 and in full blown menopause, but.....it can be done. It only requires a calorie deficit. Losing weight does not require a special Serotonin Power Diet. The book is just another way the diet industry makes money, off of people who don't follow the basic science of losing weight. Take in less calories than you expend. Create a calorie deficit. Whalllaaa!!! you lose weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    If your anti-depressant increases your appetite or makes you sluggish and less interested in exercise, discuss this with your doctor.

I tried five or six anti-depressants before I settled on Welbutrin, which works great for me, and is a little speedy, giving me the boost I need. It doesn't increase my appetite and doesn't have the sexual side effects Zoloft did.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Is the cause of the weight gain physiological, or due to psychological factors?
    I discovered this online today. This is particularly for people who has gained weight from taking anti-depressants. From the looks of it there's good reviews :) . The book title is The Serotonin Power Diet. It's available in the Google play store for 9.99. I plan to get this and look for people who are willing to try this with me. Anyone up for this very different challenge :# ?? Message/Friend me!

ctifcej85abv.jpg
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I don't know, one of my best friends recently lost 30lbs and she's on antidepressants.
  • lisad1971
    lisad1971 Posts: 33 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I started taking Lexapro about seven months ago and gained weight. Even though I work out 5-6 days a week and eat pretty well, the carb cravings were out of control. Apparently SSRI's do something to the appetite control, which is not fully understood be researchers. I did buy the Seratonin Power Diet book and started a modified version of it last week. I do a lot of strength training so I felt I needed to move to the second phase which advocates a small amount of protein (versus just carbs) for dinner.

I started last Monday and am down 4.2 pounds. The snacks recommended in the book are things I would have never bought as these seem like they have very little nutritional value, but darn it if they don't work (to combat the cravings) and they're tasty! :smiley:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    lisad1971 wrote: »
    I started taking Lexapro about seven months ago and gained weight. Even though I work out 5-6 days a week and eat pretty well, the carb cravings were out of control. Apparently SSRI's do something to the appetite control, which is not fully understood be researchers. I did buy the Seratonin Power Diet book and started a modified version of it last week. I do a lot of strength training so I felt I needed to move to the second phase which advocates a small amount of protein (versus just carbs) for dinner.

I started last Monday and am down 4.2 pounds. The snacks recommended in the book are things I would have never bought as these seem like they have very little nutritional value, but darn it if they don't work (to combat the cravings) and they're tasty! :smiley:

When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
  • Keith3481
    Keith3481 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I take citalopram (Celexa) and I've lost over 40 lbs using MFP to control my CICO. You can lose weight on SSRIs.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I don't believe antidepressants cause wight gain. In the past, I thought it was true since I did gain weight, but in reality my appetite increased and caused me to eat more calories. That's it. I took responsibility,stopped blaming medication, did research and started losing weight. If I eat less than my body needs to maintain, I will lose weight, medication or not.

I've lost 85lbs taking medications that claim weight gain.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    My 58 yo wife lost 50 pounds while on SSRIs and another med that makes you gain weight. Just CICO.