Weight loss stalled

Options
My weight loss seems to have stalled. Ive lost 65 pounds over 4 months and now weigh 235 and am 5 foot 11. Im eating 2600 to 2800 calories per day and i weigh everything and purposely overestimate calorie consumption on a daily basis to minimize error. I excercise minimum 2.5 hours a day and burn minimum 1500 calorieis 7 days a week through excercise and that is a conservative estimate. My weight hasnt budged for 1 week. So doing the calculations my sedetary tdee would be 1300 calories (2800 food- 1500 excercise) ? How is this possible for a 235 pound 34 year old man. My basal metabolic rate would have to be like 1100 or something? What the frig??

Replies

• lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the numbers (I just eat what MFP says) but a week isn't long, keep at it and hopefully you'll notice a loss next week. :)
  • jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Maybe it's time to drop calories a bit? As your body gets smaller, it needs less calories to maintain life, so you could just be at maintenance now x Try dropping it a tiny bit and see what happens?

Maybe not with burning 1500 in exercise though...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week. Definitely double-check that your goals are set correctly (have you rerun your numbers since losing?) and that you're inputting everything as accurately as you can. But it's only been a week. It could very well just be a normal fluctuation and not an indicator that you're doing anything wrong.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than you burn.

You're probably not burning 1500 calories. 2600 seems high. Do you weigh all your food?
  • derek1237654
    derek1237654 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks yes i weigh all my food and i dont know how i could possibly be burning under 1500 calories as i do a full hour of high intensity interval training plus 1 hour of vigorous elliptical plus half hour weights minimum.
  • Day_knee
    Day_knee Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    You're eating more than you burn.

You're probably not burning 1500 calories. 2600 seems high. Do you weigh all your food?

This!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    1 week! come back in 3 or 4 more IF you still haven't lost.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    exercise doesn't burn as much as you think. I am 6'5'' and heavier than you and my lightly active maintenance is 2700.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    1 week is not a stall. Some weeks you'll have extra water weight and it will mask your true efforts.

2600-2800 for a very active guy over 200 pounds is not necessarily 'too much'. If you have been losing weight with the same exercise and intake, then don't panic for a 1 week 'stall'. Though with 65 pounds down your needs are different now than they were when you weighed 300. If your weight continues to stall for another 2-3 weeks then consider dropping your daily calories by 200-300.

Congrats on your weight loss so far.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    1 week isn't a stall.

Why are you doing so much exercise every day? Do you understand that you could cut it back by an hour or more and just eat less and you'd probably feel better? Eating 2600-2800 while cutting at your height and weight is...atypical. Are you trying to out-exercise a bad diet?

ETA:

I just looked at your diary for two weeks. The first, Thurs 4/21 through Wed 4/27, you averaged 2422.57 calories per day. The second, Thurs 4/28 through Wed 5/4, you averaged 2752.57 calories per day. That's a 330/day calorie increase from one week to the next. I didn't look at your exercise but did you really increase your calorie expenditure by 330 per day from one week to the next?
  • derek1237654
    derek1237654 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks ! Im actually excercising a lot because i really enjoy it and it has treated my depression very well. My diet is reasonably good i think. No i guess i did not increase my excercise from one week to the next. Maybe i decreased a bit ...hoping to preserve some muscle....i guess the reality is i have to go slower ...i need more patience