Steady weight loss, then a dramatic gain (exercise to blame?)

Options
I had lost 22 lbs over 6 weeks, each week losing some weight. Week 7 I stayed the same as week 6. Then on week 8 I gained 4.5 lbs! Background: I eat relatively the same foods for breakfast and lunch and vary dinners (2100 calories per day). During week 8 I incorporated a much more vigorous exercise routine, dramatically increasing my 'allowable calories'. I still ate about the same calories as before though (2100). HOW CAN I GAIN 4 lbs IN A WEEK?!! :s Is it because of the exercise?

Replies

• mespreeman
    mespreeman Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yeah. It could be.

Your muscles can retain water after a new workout.

It'll go away.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    mespreeman wrote: »
    Yeah. It could be.

Your muscles can retain water after a new workout.

It'll go away.

Agreed.

• samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself? I once gained 8 lb in two days after a backpacking trip, but it went away almost immediately. On my weight chart it's just a solitary little blip. At the time it was pretty demoralizing, though.
  • becca1380461
    becca1380461 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    22lb lost in 6 weeks is just under 4lb a week. If you can lose that fast, you can gain that fast. It's your bodies natural allowable variance in body mass that isn't fat, muscle or bone (water, waste in your system, blood, etc). The weight of those things vary hourly. The over all trend is in the right direction so keep it up!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Sure, my scale shot up 7 pounds last fall after I started lifting weights again.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Yup, quite common. Muscles swell with fluid when they repair themselves. 4.5 pounds is about 2 liters of water.
  • mespreeman
    mespreeman Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Sure, my scale shot up 7 pounds last fall after I started lifting weights again.

Mine went up too when I started lifting again.

What was worse was for the first week or so, walking felt weird. Like all my leg muscles were attached in a slightly different place than they should be. It was really odd.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I gained 7lbs this week, I'm blaming my period and my new strength workout routines. It's not intense strength training but I figure if I'm sore then my muscles probably are holding onto some water. Plus being a girl. You don't have that issue for sure but water weight is definitely related to new exercise :)
  • rxburner67
    rxburner67 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I am doing mostly cardio but some low end weights too. I'll be patient!
  • rxburner67
    rxburner67 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    22lb lost in 6 weeks is just under 4lb a week. If you can lose that fast, you can gain that fast. It's your bodies natural allowable variance in body mass that isn't fat, muscle or bone (water, waste in your system, blood, etc). The weight of those things vary hourly. The over all trend is in the right direction so keep it up!

I new the amount would fall off, as the first few weeks were more than what I should be losing. Just got flustered when I saw the gain. Thx for the post!
  • Desire2DoRight
    Desire2DoRight Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good to know that sometimes a new exercise can make u retain water thanks for posting
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking water retention, but will throw this out there. You aren't 22 lbs heavier so you may not be burning as many calories as you once were per work out. I know the feeling. You are not alone. Doing good and then wham. Where'd that weight come from. I personally know when I have a lot of water cause my socks don't fit. It's like the water knows " let's go here and make her legs feel funky". Oh well the joys. Keep doing what your doing and drink plenty of water. It will go away soon. Mine does after a couple of days and then I have a remarkable 3 lb loss.