Headaches everyday since I started exercising and eating healthier?! Help!

Options
I'm on day 4 of my diet/lifestyle change. I've had a headache everyday since I started. I know I'm eating enough I have been logging everything I eat into my fitness pal only yesterday did I eat about 100 calories under not sure why these headaches keep continuing. I get enough sleep as well. Before I started this change i pretty much ate just junk so maybe it's from that? The only possible cause I could think of. Today is the one day a week that is my cheat/rest day really hoping I feel better tomorrow!

Replies

• mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Did you cut out caffeine? The other thing could be that you are not taking in enough water during the day.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It could be a caffeine withdrawal headache
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Just keep with it, make sure you are drinking enough fluid, it will pass.
  • theresahopeveal
    theresahopeveal Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm averaging 4 cups of water a day
  • theresahopeveal
    Options
    Yeah I didn't think about caffeine. I use to drink alot of soda and energy drinks so I'm thinking maybe that's the problem then
  • theresahopeveal
    Options
    I've had some caffeine but it's been from green tea or the excedrin I've had to take from the headaches
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Tada! You're on day four - caffeine withdrawal should be over really soon.
  • NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I get headaches when I eat way too much protein in one meal- but it's important to eat lots of protein to avoid losing muscle mass
  • theresahopeveal
    Options
    Wow I had no idea how powerful caffeine was, because the headaches I've had have been intense! Thanks guys! Hopefully they will pass soon!
  • pinkpsyche
    pinkpsyche Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 4 of my diet/lifestyle change. I've had a headache everyday since I started. I know I'm eating enough I have been logging everything I eat into my fitness pal only yesterday did I eat about 100 calories under not sure why these headaches keep continuing. I get enough sleep as well. Before I started this change i pretty much ate just junk so maybe it's from that? The only possible cause I could think of. Today is the one day a week that is my cheat/rest day really hoping I feel better tomorrow!

This same thing happened to me as well when I started. In fact, it happened twice-the 2nd time after being sick with bronchopneumonia and not following plan. Since I have not cut out caffeine, I attributed mine to sugar withdrawal. I was pretty miserable for a solid 3 days on both counts and then it was over. Stick with it. Everyone is different, so it may take you a bit longer than me. You're almost over the worst of it.
  • ElPasoMark
    ElPasoMark Posts: 47 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm averaging 4 cups of water a day

4 CUPS of water a day!? Not nearly enough. 8 GLASSES a day (8 cups) is minimum recommended.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Wow I had no idea how powerful caffeine was, because the headaches I've had have been intense! Thanks guys! Hopefully they will pass soon!

Symptoms can persist up to nine days after quitting. If you don't want to tough it out, add some caffeine back in and then step it back gradually instead of all at once. It's easy to stop caffeine without experiencing withdrawal, but it does take a little longer.
  • theresahopeveal
    Options
    Yeah I know I'm not drinking enough water I'll try to drink more, but the more water I drink makes me go pee about every 20 mins! And where I work it I'm not able to get to the bathroom that often. That's the main reason I limit my water
  • theresahopeveal
    Options
    I do eat soy based products but I haven't had any in the past week or two so I doubt it's that

• artym
    artym Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    Caffeine withdrawal will give you a headache but I didn't know it last 4 days it could be it though just pay attention to your food and see what's triggering your headache

When I cut caffeine it can easily take me a wekk or more to feel normal without it. Also you she was getting caffeine from soda and energy drinks rather than black coffee/tea there would be a huge sugar withdrawal as well.

If you still get headaches after two weeks I would be concerned, however I think you are just going through caffeine and sugar withdrawal.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Less sugar? Maybe caffeine but I didn't see you mention that. I know I had a killer headache the other day when I didn't get my coffee until like 4 PM. It didn't go away until the next day
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters, likely caffeine or sugar withdrawal, but you do really need to figure out a way to consume more water.
  • theresahopeveal
    Options
    Oh ok yes I did eat large amounts of sugar before starting this change. Eating fast food a lot of energy drinks candy and junk food so I'm guessing sugar withdrawals then. And I'm 4 days in so still fairly new to this and I guess my body is still adjusting. As for the water I'm going to have to drink most of it in the evening after work then because it goes right through me and like I said at work I can only get about 2 bathroom breaks at work
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I went thorough the same thing for about a week. You're body is going through caffeine withdraws.It will pass, just don't give in and drink something caffeinated.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Oh ok yes I did eat large amounts of sugar before starting this change. Eating fast food a lot of energy drinks candy and junk food so I'm guessing sugar withdrawals then. And I'm 4 days in so still fairly new to this and I guess my body is still adjusting. As for the water I'm going to have to drink most of it in the evening after work then because it goes right through me and like I said at work I can only get about 2 bathroom breaks at work

Definitely withdrawal headaches. They will pass. As for the water intake, can you drink more before or after work?