Vibram Five Fingers? Yay or nay?

cynthiaj777
cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
Here's the website: http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/barefoot-sports/barefoot_running.htm

I am extremely flat footed--not because of fallen arches or any other medical reason, but simply because I have never worn real shoes. I grew up going barefooted, and since getting older and living in the south all my life, I wore flip flops year round. I didn't owe a pair of REAL, closed toes shoes until I was 22 and moved to Washington, DC (too much snow for flip flops in the winter). Coincidentally, I gained about 20 lbs once moving here, and I decided it was time to get serious about my health especially with getting older as the days pass. So, I bought $150 running shoes. I can seriously walk 2 blocks and my feet are on fire and I can barely move because they have ACTUAL ARCH SUPPORT! However, I can't wear shoes with ANY arch support because I'm just not use to having support. I have resorted to running in my Nike basketball shoes because they provide little arch support, and it feels so MUCH better.

What I am wondering now though...since I am flat footed, and I am most comfortable with no arch support, would Five Fingers be a good choice for running shoes? Does anyone have any experience with them?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Since you are so used to being barefoot already, they probably would be a good choice for you. Another option that might be cheaper depending on the style is just to get a pair of "racing" flats. They will have little to no support, just a tiny bit of cushioning.

I don;t have any foot issues, but I absolutely love wearing my vibrams to run in.

Hope you find something that works!
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Any change in arch support from one extreme to another is going to give you sore muscles at first. I also have flat feet and own a pair of Five Fingers and they're awesome so far. I don't run very much though. Maybe a few miles a week. The first few times I ran the new muscles that are not used with arch supported shoes were sore and took a few days to recover. But the more I run in them the less sore I am. Plus they're awesome for the gym or any activity around the house or sport. I feel extremely firm and planted when lifting weights and they're nice to just walk the dog around with.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Thanks! I'll look into them. I see people running in them all the time, but I wasn't sure why one would choose them over regular running shoes. It made logical sense they would work best for flat footed people. I too don't run that much, around 8-10 miles a week.
  • kmmaurora
    kmmaurora Posts: 1
    Do theses shoes have any type of arch support or can you add support:smile:
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Do theses shoes have any type of arch support or can you add support:smile:

No, to both questions. And that is pretty much the point of these shoes.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    I am not flat footed and I love them.

Your post is curious to me because going barefoot is one of the things that are supposed to facilitate an arch. I don't think your lack of support contributed to flat feet.

EDIT: However, I can see how it would make shoes with arch support difficult.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Here is an American foot:
    PAB4569.jpg

Here is a normal foot
    Normal-foot.jpg

Shoes in general deform our feet, which cause a TON of problems. You should count yourself lucky that you've gone barefoot so much. Vibrams are great shoes. The downside to them is you have to have a perfect foot shape (just like nike and puma shoes). They don't make wide widths, so people like me can't use them.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    If VFF don't work for you, Merrel now makes a shoe that uses the same minimalist material as the FF but without the individual toes. There are a lot of minimal options out there now.

Good Luck.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Shoes in general deform our feet, which cause a TON of problems. You should count yourself lucky that you've gone barefoot so much. Vibrams are great shoes. The downside to them is you have to have a perfect foot shape (just like nike and puma shoes). They don't make wide widths, so people like me can't use them.

Ah, I've been wondering about the Vibrams, so it's interesting to hear that they don't make wide widths. Better hang in with my regular shoes for now (Nikes work best for my feet).
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Even though they don't make wide widths, I have big Fred Flintstone feet and VFF's work fine for me. I don't run in them though.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Supposedly the Bikila LS style is for people with wider feet. I know when I tried a pair on I almost couldn't pull the laces tight enough, they are pretty wide.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Supposedly the Bikila LS style is for people with wider feet. I know when I tried a pair on I almost couldn't pull the laces tight enough, they are pretty wide.

I may have to check them out - I already run like a barefoot runner (almost entirely on the ball of my foot) so I'm hoping other than getting used to the impact it shouldn't be too tough to get adjusted. Thanks for the heads up!!
This discussion has been closed.