Weight Training Vs. Cardio

Options
I think it's finally hit me that I need to do weight training. I do between 30 and 60 minutes of cardio on an elliptical and am having great results but have heard over and over again that weight training can really give me a boost and a better caloric burn!

What are you thoughts on this and what kind of weight training do you do? I do not want to 'bulk up' but more tone and boost my metabolism.

Replies

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I love lifting weights. I enjoy it so much better than my cardio, but I do both. In all, I have lost 134 pounds with doing both, I don't really know what does what since I go to a personal trainer ever other week and he keeps me in line. I definately haven't bulked up, but I am much more muscular and stronger. Not all the resistance training needs to be weights, a lot of mine is body weigh exercises, mixed in with weights. Lots of squats, lunges, push ups, step ups along with the weights :) If you can, I would recommend a trainer. Wish I could give you better information, but I pretty much do whatever my trainer tells me to do, with a little complaining, but not too much :)
  • dusty_712001
    dusty_712001 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Most women do not have an issue with becoming bulky from lifting weights. For toning they recommend light weights with higher repetitions. Since I have not lifted in a long time, I will let someone with more experience go into more detail.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    in order to bulk up you would have to not only lift seriously for months/years but also focus all your nutrition on muscle development. Bulking up is sooooooo mythical!

I recently started kettlebelling. SO MUCH FUN. And I go to fitness classes that focus on cardio/strength mixes.

I've just refocused on strength training as I work on my last 26 lbs.

Good luck!!!
  • genie98
    genie98 Posts: 62
    Options
    Bump
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I do both 5 days aweek.I love to lift,and it keeps your metabolizim going longer.plus you'll look very heathly:bigsmile:
  • Shua456
    Shua456 Posts: 211
    Options
    I like to take classes like body pump for weight lifting. It's a good all over workout that works every part of your body. You vary the weights depending on which part of the body your working on and the instructor can tell you how much you should be lifting. I've lost a lot of inches with this class.

I also like to take core conditioning classes that uses your own body weight as resistance. Classes like yogalates, body flow, pilates, etc.... all tone your body but don't use weights.

I really don't like to do just plain weight lifting. I find it boring but taking these classes helps to keep it fun, get the results, and makes sure I'm working all parts of my body correctly.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't worry about bulking up - big myth. Just get after it - challenge yourself and change it up. Dumbells and barbells, machine weights, resistance bands - anything really. It helps sooooooooooooo much!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Doing weight training will help you tone up. Most women will NOT bulk up unless they are lifting seriously heavy weights over a long period of time. You do NOT need to worry!
  • anharrison
    anharrison Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    read this :)

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/what-women-should-never-do-but-often-do-while-trying-to-get-in-shape-part-1-of-6/

Thanks! Yes, even though I hear it I still felt "I'll lose weight THEN weight train" ah...I think I'm just having an 'ah ha' moment finally.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Women don't have the hormone profile to bulk up. Everyone should be strength training to keep age related muscle loss at bay.
  • wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Strength training increases your metabolic rate! We want this! And ladies will not bulk up! If your goal is to bulk you can....(by doing weights for hours and hours a day!), but you won't! It is amazingly good for you to do it!! :)
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Hi Anharrison, by bulking I'm assuming you mean getting regular muscular arms and not female bodybuilders arms right?

Example: Jillian Michael arms. That's regular muscular arms.

I don't care for muscular arms, regular or bodybuilders ones. I don't think that's pretty on a woman.

Right now, I'm doing a program called Supreme 90 Day. I own over 100 workouts. I have different workouts that's strength workout, also toning workouts.

Do you do any home workouts or just the gym?
  • queen_bea
    queen_bea Posts: 118
    Options
    pole dance!! :)

It gave me muscles :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The "metabolic effects" of strength training tend to be wildly overstated. That is not the primary reason you should be lifting weights.

it's just good for you. And it is essential for weight loss, esp permanent loss. It enhances your ability to do things you like to do. It does help conserve lean mass, even if you don't increase muscle mass all that much. And for most people, it looks good as well.

So, it's not an "either/or" question. For most people, balance is the best way to go. Strength training needn't be complex.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I totally agree with what you are saying. Cardio is good for heart health and to lose some lbs, but if you strength train and add muscle, you will burn more calories all the time. You don't need to worry about bulking up as it is very difficult for women to get really buff. You should try doing higher reps(12-18) with lower weights. This will give you the most definition while adding little bulk. Do three sets of each exercise. Another thing you could do which adds a great cardio component to your lifting session is circuits. This is when you do a set of 3 or 4 different exercises without breaking between. Then you rest once you've done all exercises. Repeat this 2 more times. It really gets your HR up. Also consider increasing your cardio intensity by doing 20 minutes of HIIT(high intensity interval training). 20 minutes of HIIT will more than replace 40 minutes of "phoning it in", plus the elliptical is great for HIIT. I also do pilates, which is great for adding muscle tone without even lifting a weight. Good luck!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    . Strength training needn't be complex.

Remember that y'all. No every day, no every other day, no every other, other day, no for an hour at a time, no high reps, no trying to work every little muscle. 3-5 moves, one set each, done the right way, once a week. Your heart rate will be up there.

If you have a calorie deficit and are not strength training, good luck in the long run.