What do you log if you have no idea the calories?

Options
Went out with coworkers today.. got a grilled chicken sandwich from a local pub and a handful of fries. Since I don't carry a food scale going to work and no nutrition information what should I do in this scenario?

Replies

• daterxies
    daterxies Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Should I go with the one with highest calories? Or a middle area..
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    daterxies wrote: »

I like to pick the middle, but I've seen other people who always choose high.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

i always choose high within reason. i try and pick the most accurate, but i honestly don't know i will always choose high. Better to over than underestimate iMO
  • action_man
    action_man Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just take the best guess you can. Log something from a chain restaurant you've been to that has a similar item and listed calories. Or another thing I do when I can't think of an equivalent meal is just to log the components. For example, log a chicken breast, a slice of cheese, 1tbsp of mayo/mustard whatever, a bun. You'll just have to estimate the weights and volumes, but you get better at doing that after logging consistently for a while
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    For a Pub grilled chicken sandwich... the Bun is usually larger so in the range of 250-280 cal's, the chicken is usually 6-8 ounces (around 200 cal's) and grilled with oil or butter (prob additional 60-80 cal's), was there bbq sauce, mayonnaise or any other sauce/condiment (add accordingly)? last but not least any lettuce, onion, tomato, pickle? calories from those will be minimal. For fries, don't underestimate how many are in a "handful", when guesstimating your entry lean to the higher side of things.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I always guess. Having cooked in restaurants while I was in college, I am pretty good at eyeballing.

Another option is to find an analogue in a similar restaurant. Chili's Grilled chicken sandwich, for example, is listed as 700 calories as served NOT including the fries. This is probably reasonably close.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I'd pick a chain restaurant with a similar sandwich. Or calculate based on a recipe you would make at home, but then add about 20-40% more calories.
    For french fries, I usually pick a fast food restaurant, then try to compare the amount of fries I ate with one of their sizes - usually a medium.
  • jennyi27
    jennyi27 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    if I can't find something similar in the database, or if there is too big of a range in calories (a chicken sandwich from one place is 300 calories, and a chicken sandwich from another place is 800 calories, for example), I log the components. I have to do this a lot when I go out because our city is full of non-chain, independent, foodie lover-style restaurants. Most of these businesses do not post their nutrition info online, so I just have to do my best. I just went out for lunch today, in fact. I ordered half of an Italian sandwich and a cup of soup. I ended up logging every component of the sandwich. When I really have to pay attention to all of the ingredients so I can log them, I think it helps me eat more slowly - so that is a bonus.
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I get as close as I can like, instead of "grilled chicken sandwich" I'll try to find "grilled chicken sandwich with pretzel bun" and then pick one to the high side
  • daterxies
    daterxies Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Great.. I'll log individual parts then. I know when you think pub you think big but it was actually kind of small and on a regular sized bun. Wasn't worth the 11 bucks ;)
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

Personally I chose the highest. I'd rather over estimate and under eat for one day than go over without "knowing"
  • dr_soda
    dr_soda Posts: 57 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Knowing my past self, as well as knowing how easy it is to underestimate, I just simply don't eat in those situations. Yes, it's awkward, but avoiding situations like these is part of turning over a new healthy lifestyle.

If you find that you truly have no choice, or if you buckle and give in to social pressure, take the highest estimate you think is reasonable... and then multiply it by 1.5. So, if you think you ate 700 calories, log it as 1050 and you'll probably be closer to the truth. Most people are highly prone to underestimation, and particularly those of us who have found ourselves overweight. We carry (or carried) the evidence on our bodies daily.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Well by now I have a good idea of how many calories are in a bun or a piece of chicken depending on the size, plus whatever toppings and if it looks like they added butter/oil or not. I add it up in my head then pick an entry that is close to that.

I pretty much do that with everything now, but I've eaten in places that give nutrition info and cooked a bunch of thing, so usually I have an idea of how many calories are in what I'm ordering. If not, I pick something on the high side too.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    dr_soda wrote: »
    Knowing my past self, as well as knowing how easy it is to underestimate, I just simply don't eat in those situations. Yes, it's awkward, but avoiding situations like these is part of turning over a new healthy lifestyle.

If you find that you truly have no choice, or if you buckle and give in to social pressure, take the highest estimate you think is reasonable... and then multiply it by 1.5. So, if you think you ate 700 calories, log it as 1050 and you'll probably be closer to the truth. Most people are highly prone to underestimation, and particularly those of us who have found ourselves overweight. We carry (or carried) the evidence on our bodies daily.

I'm going with what everyone else said, not this. You may find avoiding social situations where people go out to eat okay to avoid, but many of us want to keep a decent social life and be able to enjoy the occasional meal. I wouldn't want to avoid social situations at restaurants my whole life.

You just need to eat sensible portions and aim for healthier alternatives at restaurants.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    When I eat out I try to log the dish I had from that restraunt or the closet thing to what I had
  • dr_soda
    edited May 2016
    Options

I'm going with what everyone else said, not this. You may find avoiding social situations where people go out to eat okay to avoid, but many of us want to keep a decent social life and be able to enjoy the occasional meal. I wouldn't want to avoid social situations at restaurants my whole life.

You just need to eat sensible portions and aim for healthier alternatives at restaurants.

I don't advocate avoiding spending time with your friends, but I would advocate that eating what you can't measure and making a habit of it is not productive to maintaining your health.

Your friends, if they are indeed true friends, will understand if you don't order what they're having.

And then still multiply your estimate by 1.5 at the end of the day. It's the safest way to guess at what you haven't measured, particularly if you aren't practiced at it.
  • RosieRose7673
    Options

I don't advocate avoiding spending time with your friends, but I would advocate that eating what you can't measure and making a habit of it is not productive to maintaining your health.

Your friends, if they are indeed true friends, will understand if you don't order what they're having.

And then still multiply your estimate by 1.5 at the end of the day. It's the safest way to guess at what you haven't measured, particularly if you aren't practiced at it.

I'm not saying I order what my friends eat. I order what I enjoy and what I know to be a healthier option and limit my portions. That's all.

Btw, I've never weighed anything in my life. I never intend on doing so. So I guess eating food that I can't measure doesn't stress me out.
  • dr_soda
    Options

I'm not saying I order what my friends eat. I order what I enjoy and what I know to be a healthier option and limit my portions. That's all.

Btw, I've never weighed anything in my life. I never intend on doing so. So I guess eating food that I can't measure doesn't stress me out.

I'm not sure I understand what compelled you to make the original comment, then. This whole thread was about what a person who is interested in tracking calories should track.
  • RosieRose7673
    Options

I'm not sure I understand what compelled you to make the original comment, then. This whole thread was about what a person who is interested in tracking calories should track.

I track calories. I said I don't WEIGH (i.e. food scale) food. I do the good old guesstimating my calories. Hasn't failed me yet.

I was compelled to comment because I agree with what a majority of people are saying. Log the closest item from a chain restaurant, etc.