Question for you bicyclists

Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I find aluminium to give a very harsh ride on any roads that aren't super smooth - transmitting lots of tiring vibration through the bars. Carbon forks at the least IMHO.

Would agree with the advice to not buy a second-hand carbon bike unless you are sure of its history.
    A car driver hit me with enough force to explode my front wheel and snap the forks off. The frame looks untouched but could well have serious unseen damage.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Repairs are impossible on a carbon frame.

Calfee repairs broken carbon frames. It will be stronger than when it was made.

http://calfeedesign.com/repair/
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    @barbara3213 - Whatever you decide to do, join us here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10382090/may-2016-bike-bicycle-cycling-challenge#latest

We would love to have you join us, whatever type of bike you ride. Just get out, enjoy the fresh air and pedal.
  • barbara3213
    barbara3213 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Didn't know there are biking forums. Very cool. I'm thinking I'll get the old bike serviced as a first step. Maybe I'll be just as happy with it.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I ride a Trek 3.1. It's a carbon frame, but one of the more entry level carbons. I've had it for about 4 years now. Think of the decision in terms of diminishing returns. The money you invest in the bike is for shaving off weight. Early on, small increases in money take off large amounts of weight. The jump from aluminum to carbon for example is maybe around $500, but has a big reduction in weight. When you start getting to $3k+ bikes, the money increases way more quickly than the weight decreases. Plus, most people could lose more weight from their body than the bike anyway.

Aluminum / carbon It's just about finding the right fit for your budget. The much more important thing is figuring out which bike fits you best. It's so important to get the right size frame and have the bike shop do a fitting after you've bought the bike. They should adjust everything so you'll fit the bike.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to buy a set of carbon fiber wheels. :)

I'm going to disagree with most people who've posted here. Every aluminum bike I've had has been uncomfortable to ride over long distances. Aluminum can vibrate like a tuning fork and that can be fatiguing to ride. Carbon fiber is the opposite, it "dampens" vibrations. Photographers prize carbon tripods not just for their weight but for their stability, and that can make a well designed carbon bike more comfortable to ride. That's been my experience with the CF bikes I've had and with replacing alu handlebars with CF ones then riding the same bike over the same roads. The difference isn't huge but when you ride 50 miles at a time you feel it.

That said, if you have a fine steel bike, you should probably hold on to your money.

I realize I recommended aluminum as a fine choice above, but I don't ride aluminum myself. Race bike is 100% carbon front to back including full carbon clincher wheels and cockpit. Road bike is also a full carbon frame.

But that can be prohibitively expensive and there isn't a reason to back off of an aluminum frame because some of them can ring like a bell.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I just need to take my old bike in for a tune-up. My exhusband has always been a serious rider, and he fitted the bike with great components. The frame is chrome-moly (I think, it's been a lot of years). At the time, it was considered a pretty light frame.

I was going to say neither, go with steel, and low and behold you already have a steel bike! Now, there were good steel frames and there were less than good steel frames, but if it's a good steel frame that's comfortable for you with the geometry you want, it might be worth taking it to the LBS and just upgrade the components. Then, next year once you're addicted, buy a carbon fiber bike. Cuz one can never have too many bikes :D
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    The correct number of bikes to own is "n+1" where "n" is the current number of bikes you own. That equation can also be balanced with "s-1" where "s" is the number of bikes that would cause separation from your spouse.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I just need to take my old bike in for a tune-up. My exhusband has always been a serious rider, and he fitted the bike with great components. The frame is chrome-moly (I think, it's been a lot of years). At the time, it was considered a pretty light frame.

There are still great bikes being made with steel frames........a little TLC and you've a got a great ride on your hands (I must confess, I do like brifters.....)
  • barbara3213
    barbara3213 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I dug my bike out of the garage and took it in for some tlc. I'll start there and see how it goes. Thanks so much for all the advice. See you in the cycling threads.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Awesome, looking forward to seeing you in the biking thread :) Make sure you bring us a picture of your bike!
  • andrwclem
    andrwclem Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    andrwclem wrote: »
    Why not buy second hand
    Carbon bike on ebay may be

"I would never buy a used carbon frame that I couldn't thoroughly inspect first.....seriously bad advice."

Seriously bad advice? Hyperbole at best
    I have bought second hand carbon bikes before
    but have obviously checked them over before
    handing over the cash