Too much tummy growling !!!!!

Options
So the last 2 weeks I've been experiencing my stomach growling.. especially at night. Like right NOW! How sad is it that I can't even remember my stomach growling like.. EVER.. before I started my weight loss journey 2 weeks ago. Just shows how much of an overeater I have been my whole life! I'm trying to get used to it and remind myself not to shove food in my mouth just because my stomach is making noises. I am hoping it will start to shrink after a bit... ! Someone please tell me this will subside ! :frown:

Replies

• rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Well I can't tell you it will go away, but I can tell you you'll figure out what will lessen it! Drinking coffee always helped it for me, as my tummy likes to grumble in class, especially before lunch, but it even does it when I don't feel hungry at all. Try different drinks that will fill you up (low calorie would be best I suppose).

However, if you're actually hungry, then maybe you should reassess if you're not eating enough and try to add in a little snack or two :)
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Check and see if you are eating enough, and if you are eating enough wholesome, filling foods, particularly protein. If it happens a lot at night, you might want to try eating a high protein snack in the evening and see if that helps. I can't say my stomach growls, but sometimes I do get hungry at night, and I find eating a little cottage cheese with fruit, or some slices of lean meat, or a tablespoon of peanut butter, helps.
  • faerygirl33
    faerygirl33 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I drink water or grab carrot sticks or celery stix or a handful of nuts and bottle of water
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Lots of water works for me. I'm an intermittent faster so I don't eat until noon everyday. My stomach will growl but once I start drinking water it stops.
  • neuropsyence
    neuropsyence Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if my experiences are similar to anyone else's, but I had the same growling stomach. Fortunately, as I kept hitting my goals it started to decline and, ultimately, go away. During the beginning of the program was when it was the worst.

Water, wholesome foods, and sticking to it should help lessen that feeling.
  • MarielElizabeth
    Options
    No breakfast.. EVERY day? How do you even get going in the morning !!! I would probably pass out!

Thanks all for the advice. I think I do need to add a high protein snack to my day. Today all I had for a snack was 40 calories worth of jello and fat free cool whip! Nothing too filling about that !! LOL
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Drink water (that is if you're eating enough calories). That worked for me.
  • Wangenstein
    Options
    I keep some navel oranges in the refrigerator. They make a wonderful, filling snack, and at just 90 calories, it's an unusual day that I don't have enough calories left over to enjoy one when I'm hungry.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    you're not eating enough during the day
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Be sure to be getting a good breakfast with fruit and protein in the morning. That will keep you full longer so you can spread out your calories evenly throughout the rest of the day. Drink plenty of water. Sometimes our bodies mistake dehydration with hunger and drinking water will let you know if it's true hunger. Pre-plan your meals so you can get in 3 meals and 3 snacks every day. I eat all the way until bedtime and have lost weight steadily. It's not how late you eat, it's what you eat. Find replacements for the higher calorie foods you are choosing now. Almost everything has a lower calorie alternative. Eat more fruits and vegetables because they are very low in calories and keep your tummy nice and full. I hope these tips help!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Lots of water works for me. I'm an intermittent faster so I don't eat until noon everyday. My stomach will growl but once I start drinking water it stops.

Just to let you know, this is really bad for weight loss. In fact, it more than likely puts you into starvation mode especially if you haven't eating since dinner time the night before. It is a proven fact, that those people who eat when they first wake up (especially meals high in fiber and protein) are more likely to lose weight and keep it off. This is true because when you eat when you first wake up, your metabolism starts.

Now to the original poster. More than likely, you are not eating enough calories. If your body tells you that you are hungry, then you need more food or may need to evaluate the types of food you are eating. First, can you make your food diary public so we can evaluate it. Second, can you provide some basic information (height, age, weight and body fat if you have it. This will allow us to understand what your BMR is. Basal Metabolic Rate is the amount of calories you burn if you slept all day. This is a starting point. We then need to assess how active your lifestyle is. Do you workout? What kind of job do you have? This allows us to understand how many calories we need to add for your activity level.

Once we have that, we can help you with your journey. Just by doing some quick figuring (law of averages type deal), I am thinking you should be around 1400 - 1600 calories a day for your daily intake. Once you can provide more data, we can help more. Oh and good luck with your wedding journey. I just did mine not too long ago.
  • bjohs
    Options

Just to let you know, this is really bad for weight loss. In fact, it more than likely puts you into starvation mode especially if you haven't eating since dinner time the night before. It is a proven fact, that those people who eat when they first wake up (especially meals high in fiber and protein) are more likely to lose weight and keep it off. This is true because when you eat when you first wake up, your metabolism starts.

I would agree with this just for the fact that I was not a breakfast eater at the beginning of my journey. In fact, there were days when I was so busy with work that my first meal of the day came around dinner time. When I re-injured a knee, I researched ways to lose weight with little to no exercise and stumbled across an article about the benefits of eating breakfast.

I changed my eating habits the next day and started consuming 1/3 of my daily 1,200 calories at breakfast. As soon as I did, I noticed I had a lot more energy, was in a better mood and didn't crash and burn after lunch anymore. I also noticed that my stomach stayed fuller longer and I was able to go lighter on lunch and dinner. I lost just shy of 10 pounds in 3 weeks.

So if you were to ask me... yes, breakfast is the most important meal of the day! :)
  • MarielElizabeth
    Options
    Yeah I prob haven't ate enough today. Im a little bit under my calorie goal.. and I don't want to put my diary to public cuz I don't want you to rip me apart like you did to the faster.... :tongue:
    Thanks all !!
  • bjohs
    Options
    Yeah I prob haven't ate enough today. Im a little bit under my calorie goal.. and I don't want to put my diary to public cuz I don't want you to rip me apart like you did to the faster.... :tongue:
    Thanks all !!

I don't blame you. ;-) Feel free to friend me if you'd like to take a peek at my diary. I leave it open for MFP friends. It might help give you some ideas.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks all !!

I would never rip anyone apart, simply relaying information. It just makes it more difficult to evaluate where you stand. I will respect it but if you would liek more help, feel free to post or if you want send me a private message and I can help that way as well. Cheers!
  • jenniferd9
    Options
    In order to reduce extra fats of body do some regular exercise.Manage your perfect and healthy diet.
    Drink warm water.
  • Huskeryogi
    Options

The story about your metabolism stopping over night or if you skip meals is "common knowledge" unsupported by research. I researched it before I started intermittent fasting. From the studies I've looked at the human body doesn't go into "starvation mode" until you've gone days without food. And studies show a boost in fat loss when fasting for more than 12 hours. I don't really want to get into a bickering match on this. If anyone wants links to studies let me know.

That said I don't think it's for everyone. This fits with my lifestyle.
  • psuLemon
    Options

The story about your metabolism stopping over night or if you skip meals is "common knowledge" unsupported by research. I researched it before I started intermittent fasting. From the studies I've looked at the human body doesn't go into "starvation mode" until you've gone days without food. And studies show a boost in fat loss when fasting for more than 12 hours. I don't really want to get into a bickering match on this. If anyone wants links to studies let me know.

That said I don't think it's for everyone. This fits with my lifestyle.

Here are some quick articles on breakfast and the effects on breakfast. I believe the premise is that skipping breakfast more leads to other temptations. Additionally, there are just other benefits to breakfast such as higher energy, feeling fuller longer, etc.. Hope it helps :happy:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/lose-weight-eat-breakfast

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50736

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN01119

MarielElizabeth - Also, FYI, it's not too much of a issue if you come under your calories a few days. I would suggest if you can, go a little over your calories the next day. Do a search on zig zag dieting; this is the premise of the diet. Essentially, if you are supposed to intake 1500 calories a day, one day you will eat 1300, the next 1700 the following 1400 and so forth. The assumption is that changing your daily caloric intake will prevent your diet from plateau just as much as changing your workout routine will prevent you from plateau with muscle growth.
  • Huskeryogi
    Options
    I didn't get into this to convince anyone that they should do things my way, I just wanted to illustrate how effective water is a suppressing hunger.

I've been trying all day to "walk away" from this post because I know what works for me and I've done the research. But I'm not winning the walk away war with myself.

Controlled studies showing the benefits of IF:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15741046

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16529878

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19776143?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137

I won't be back on this post. If you have any other questions feel free to message me.