Question on night snacking....

Options
Hi,
I have problems with eating in the evening...I will be good all day and really eat healthy, even watch my calories, but then the evening hits and the munchies hit...I mentally set and browse my cupboards and fridge for what there is too eat and I remember I have one particular thing (different everyday) and I can't get it out of my head until I have it!!! Oh this is so frustrating, I have tried everything and I just can't seem to control this! I know that alot of it is boredom and stress, I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to stop this.
Thankyou,
Jodi

Replies

• karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    i have this problem too but its where i take any leftover calories for the day and i think of anything i have that could equal those calories even if im not hungry!! im fighting myself over having a skinny cow ice cream right now which will still be right under my goal for the day but i know im not hungry so im gonna try and resist
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I was world's worst with evening snacks. I could have just finished dinner then I started perusing my pantry for snacks. SO SO SO bad. Honestly and quite frankly, you can try all the little tricks (=drinking water, going for walks, etc) but it all really comes down to will power. You have to want the end result MORE than the snack at that moment. This is the only thing that has worked for me. Knowing that this little "treat" is undoing all I did the whole day. Good luck.
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    I have this problem and usually I just have a little bit of whatever it is I can't get out of my head. Like if it's cookies, I just have one. If it's chips I just have 1 serving. My other go to item is the 100 calorie pack popcorn or 100 calorie pack cookies. They are great for satisfying the sweet tooth with minimal calorie intake.

My other thing is I go for a walk or just go to bed.
  • 2004Jessica
    2004Jessica Posts: 113
    Options
    :grumble: I hate that!
  • 2004Jessica
    2004Jessica Posts: 113
    Options
    You have to want the end result MORE than the snack at that moment.

Great advice!!! :smile:
  • mamaboobear
    Options
    Hi, for me I am a night snacker period. I don't have the willpower, at least now, to be successful at not snacking at night, so I just try to save lots of calories for the evening. As much as during the day I want the end result more and can pump myself up that I'm not going to eat at night, ..by a few hours after dinner I want the snack more than the end result. Odds are it will slow weightloss, but probably not stop it altogether.
  • BizzyBee62
    BizzyBee62 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'am so happy I posted! Thankyou all so much for the helpful advice:) Maybe a combination of will power and having a low calorie treat will help!
    Thankyou again,
    Jodi
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    raw veggies. If I have a sweet tooth: raw veggies dipped in some peanut butter....but, generally, just raw veggies. There's hardly a craving out there that I cant solve with a tomato.

That said: if you are under your calories....dont fret over it too much if you eat a cookie or something. Thats the beauty of a non-restrictive diet: you can eat basically whatever you want, you just have to keep it within reason.

Personally, I havent noticed much of a difference when I eat. I know lots of people say you should not eat X hours before bedtime or whatever, but in my experience it's just not that big of a deal when you eat. If you eat 100 calories at midnight or at noon, it's still 100 calories...
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    -workout
    -protein drink to fill you up
    - eat veggies
    -or lock yourself in the room

I do the first 2 if I get the urge. :)