Sauna?

Options
My gym has a sauna, but I've never used it before. But I read a little blurb that they have up on their website that using the sauna aids in weight loss and other issues as well. Is that true? Does it work for you?

Replies

• taberube
    taberube Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    IR (infra red) sauna's are reported to aid in weight loss. I am not sure about regular saunas'.
  • demonNIИ
    demonNIИ Posts: 187
    Options
    I just started using it once or twice a week we'll see.. but I LOVE the smell of the cedar sauna room the warm benches are also relaxing
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    The only way I can imagine a sauna aiding in FAT loss is if you love going to the gym because you get to have a sauna at the end of your workout.

(obviously you will be 1kg lighter after sweating 1L, but you'll put that weight back on as soon as you eat/drink)

[edit: I should add, this is a real way that a sauna might help! I used to love going to the gym because the steam room was soooo awesome! :) I developed a gym habit purely because of that!]
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    i use the sauna and really can't see how it can aid weight loss except from sweating.

I do LOVE a decent sauna after a work out though..awesome place to be :-)
  • MZNIKKIBOO
    MZNIKKIBOO Posts: 190
    Options
    BUMP
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Weight that you lose in a sauna will be water loss, not fat loss.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    I've always thought sweating helps remove some of the junk in your body, but if you're working out, you probably don't need extra sweating. Some of the fighters in my gym will use the sauna when they're cutting weight for a fight--and lose as much as 5-7 pounds in an hour--but they gain it all back as soon as they rehydrate, so I don't think it helps with permanent weight loss.
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    i tried when i joined my gym but w/ my asthma i found it very difficult to stay in for more than a minute.
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My husband is Russian and Russians use the banya (sauna) fairly regularly. It is believed to bring good health to the user. I'm still getting used to him hitting me on the back with birch leaves (again, it's a health thing...something about removing toxins he says) while in the sauna. I say try the sauna, it is relaxing, some people love it. I like it, the birch leaves take some getting used to, but that's just what Russians do. lol
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a gym anymore, but when i did i LOVED the sauna & the steam room ~ Miss it!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    it removes water from your system, and you need water to loose weight, so if u go in one, drink extra water to rehydrate.. anything u loose will just be water weight, that u need to aid in losing..