Skinny fat more cutting or hit the gym?

Options
So today we had the first spell of summer so I decided to put a T-Shirt on and it wasn't pretty. I've lost the best part of 20kg / 44lbs, I am 5'11 and 190lbs.

The problem is I look skinny, under weight in some areas but have fat stuck in others like my belly. As well as dropping fat I seem to have lost quite a bit of muscle.

I have been lifting weights ever since I started my diet back in January but not been building muscle being in a big calorie deficit.

I am thinking the time has come to end the cutting and start bulking and hitting the weights harder for a few months to build some muscle.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• chewyxrage
    chewyxrage Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    How big is your calorie deficit? Did you lift weights at all prior to January?
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Most body builders do a bulk/cut cycle. You sound like you're the right weight and maybe start reducing your deficit and keep hitting the weights...
  • Sonia_weight
    Sonia_weight Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    this is my problem. ive stopped weighing myself, do my hiit training 4 times a week and have started lifting anf toning to build my muscle and strength. I had my body fat measured and it was 27% and considering i weigh only 56-57 kilos, the only thing that will get rid of this fat is cleaning up my diet and focusing on weight training. And whats your diet like? maybe not enough protein? maybe you aren't eating right?

I also want to know more about this
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    chewyxrage wrote: »

I've been at 1500 cals since Jan. No I didn't lift before hand but I am carpenter which is a very physical job so was quite well built.
  • bathmatt12345
    Options
    If that is really where you are, start upping it slowly and see what happens to your weight, and more importantly, your measurements.
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    chewyxrage wrote: »

I've been at 1500 cals since Jan. No I didn't lift before hand but I am carpenter which is a very physical job so was quite well built.

• dave_in_ni
    Options
    this is my problem. ive stopped weighing myself, do my hiit training 4 times a week and have started lifting anf toning to build my muscle and strength. I had my body fat measured and it was 27% and considering i weigh only 56-57 kilos, the only thing that will get rid of this fat is cleaning up my diet and focusing on weight training. And whats your diet like? maybe not enough protein? maybe you aren't eating right?

My diet has been very good since I started my diet which is probably why I lost weight fairly quickly, plenty of protein and limited fat.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

HIIT and lifitng at a deficit won't build muscle.

cleaning up your diet does not get rid of fat.

To get rid of fat and maybe build some muscle there are two choices.

Bulk cut cycles

or

Recomp.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    So it seems the time has come to up the cals again. How should this be done without gaining to much fat? Say an extra 100-200 cals per week until I hit my TDEE which is 2850
  • chewyxrage
    chewyxrage Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    That's what I would do. Hopefully you start seeing your lifts go up pretty dramatically. More muscle mass on your frame makes having some extra fat much appear much more forgiving.
  • bathmatt12345
    Options
    I would do that, and a bit more on days you lift,
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    So it seems the time has come to up the cals again. How should this be done without gaining to much fat? Say an extra 100-200 cals per week until I hit my TDEE which is 2850

• ALLENFLO
    ALLENFLO Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    100-200 calories per week until you start gaining weight which ideally the weight will be mostly muscle at that point. Once you start to gain weight, stay around that calorie count. A little below that would be your maintenance.
  • Sonia_weight
    Sonia_weight Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think i might be eating too much fat, may be why im not seeing a change. I need to clean up my diet and watch it more closely because i really want to see a difference in my stomach and i guess thats carbs and fat.