So what do most of you choose as your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• AmyWebb2
    AmyWebb2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for 145. I am five feet, six inches tall. 145 isn't tiny, but on my frame, anything under that looks unhealthy. I figure that's a size ten or so, and to me, that's not too awful.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    AmyWebb2 wrote: »
    I am aiming for 145. I am five feet, six inches tall. 145 isn't tiny, but on my frame, anything under that looks unhealthy. I figure that's a size ten or so, and to me, that's not too awful.

Well I'm 5'6 and weigh 145 as of today. People tell me I look tiny lol so I'll go with it. It's been a long time since I weighed this. I started at 168 in Feb. I had always hung out at around 157-158 for a long time but had just put on weight. I feel much lighter and better on my joints! I'm a size 6/8 shorts/jeans and small now in shirts. I was a 10/12 and medium to large in shirts. I feel good at this weight but trying for 140 per bmi

• hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I was never overweight so I just picked a lower bmi for vanity purposes as I was going to the beach for a vacation. I love how I ended up looking and have maintained plus or a minus a bit for a year or so now. /shrug
  • zmida
    zmida Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9, my goal weight is 145. It is in the middle of the normal BMI of my height and according to my research is in the range of the ideal weight for my height. I haven't been that weight as an adult so I'm not sure how I would look at that weight, but that's part of the fun looking forward to seeing how that would look.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    For the longest time I wanted to be down to 135 (the weight I was in college) but right now I'm at 150 and I'm happy here. I'm still on a small SMALL deficit in hopes that maybe I can get down to 135 in a year. But I'm not going to fret if I can't.
  • Beaner63
    Beaner63 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I chose 210 because that was what I weighed when I met my wife 18 years ago. That would still put me leave me as obese as far as the BMI chart goes. Don't care, I looked damn good at that weight. The lowest I have been in my adult life was down to 189, and that was in bootcamp. Even that weight is still considered overweight compared to the chart.

I generally ignore the chart. Even now at 290 (started at 326) my blood work is awesome and my normal blood pressure is 112/68.

Also, I laughed because the frame size calculator tells me I have a thin frame. "Thin" has never been a word to describe me, even as a very active child.
  • locolew
    locolew Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My doctor said I would feel so much better if I lost 30 lbs. Down 10 since Feb. Still working it.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Like some other posters, I have been overweight my whole adult life, so I don't know what weight would look 'good' on me or where I would be comfortable.

At 5'3 I have set my initial goal at 140, which is just into healthy BMI. I'll keep going from there and stop when my body is happy :)
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am 5feet 4inches tall and will be 54 next month . My goal weight is to 163 by the end of this summer. My bottom weight according to charts should be 143 pounds my lowest weight should be around 117 pounds. My over all goal is to back where I was the summer of 2014 which was 163.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I picked the middle of the healthy BMI. Don't think I'll get there though!
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I was 154 in January. I set a goal of 129 and then changed it to 127. I'm at 134 as of today and I will reevaluate when I get to 127 and see if that's enough. I'm 5'3"
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I mathematically backed into mine. As a male, 15% body fat is a healthy target. Based on that, and my 5' 7" frame, I came to a goal weight of 155. Started at 232, now at 162.6. almost there!!! :D
  • kathygk56
    kathygk56 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    joobey wrote: »
    kathygk56 wrote: »
    Initially I chose the weight on my driver's license (175) as my goal, which was 50 lbs less than my starting weight. When I reached and passed that, I aimed for 160ish, because I had felt pretty healthy at that weight in the past and almost in the healthy zone. A couple of years later, I was back up over 200 and decided to do something about it. This time my goal was a healthy bmi, rather than a specific weight. I'm now about 126 to 127 with a bmi of 20 ish, not sure if I want to go any further, or just work on conditioning.

That's great!! So how many calories did you start at to lose and now that you've lost so much, how many do you eat now?

I was eating in the neighborhood of 1200, I'm at about 1400 now, working up to maintenence, which should be around 1600.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    A little of both, really.

I chose a soft goal of being under 200lb, because I really, really want to see a 1 on the scale, for my own reasons. After that, how low my weight goes will depend on how I look, how I feel, what my lab work looks like, how much body fat I have left, etc. I imagine I'll fall within the recommended weight range for my height, but it's so much more than just saying "this is the number I plan to hit".
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    For the longest time I wanted to be down to 135 (the weight I was in college) but right now I'm at 150 and I'm happy here. I'm still on a small SMALL deficit in hopes that maybe I can get down to 135 in a year. But I'm not going to fret if I can't.

Are you 150 in your pic? You look so tiny! How tall are you?
  • Shelle33
    Shelle33 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    At 5'5", I've settled on 130 as my UGW. I've been both smaller and larger than that, but I preferred how I looked around that weight. Of course, I will adjust as necessary depending on how I feel. I come from a family of Lilliputians, being the tallest and widest of anyone (including the men), so this will still leave me as the heaviest and biggest of the women only.

I also set mini goals for myself to avoid feeling discouraged. Right now I'm focussed on getting into the top end of the healthy range of my BMI (149), but I allow myself small rewards for each 5 lbs lost (a new book, shoes, a movie, etc.).

CW:179.6 (last weigh-in: May 1st)
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I was between 160 to 165 in college. I picked 160 as my goal as the absolute low end I wanted to go. But now that I'm here I'm still 20% body fat. I've decided no artificial barriers, I'm going to keep going till my body fat % is where I want it to be.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a lot of people focus on BMI. BMI is pretty worthless, and I wouldn't suggest paying any attention to it. Instead I suggest focusing on your body fat percentage and measurements. Don't even worry about overall weight. I weigh myself out of curiosity. but it's only a number. Its possible to get healthier and leaner without your weight changing. In fact it happens quite often.
  • Mixedcoffees
    Mixedcoffees Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was 237 pounds on January 18th of this year. Am currently 196.6 pounds as of this morning. My goal weight is 175. Once I reach 175 pounds, I might want to shoot for 165. Am half ways there.
  • ALG775
    ALG775 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I used to have a goal weight and would adjust my lifestyle as necessary. Didn't work for me because it was never a lifestyle I wanted to maintain.

Now I have a goal lifestyle and have adjusted my goal weight to align with it. Much happier this way.

This!
    Aim for your best weight (the lowest weight you can happily maintain and still love life)