Cheat day?

Camilladr94
Camilladr94 Posts: 8 Member
Hi. I just started my weight loss and I was wondering if there are more people like me who has a cheat day where they eat what they want?
It really helps me keeping my focus when times are hard.

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    While I'm trying to get better, I do cheat weekend (I should really limit it to one day though). While on your cheat keep logging your food so you can know what your putting in your body. It can be somewhat disheartening, during the week I have a hard time consuming my allotted calories, but on weekends.... is another thing. ;)
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    I have been incorporating cheat days into my plans and I've been successfully losing weight.

However, even before I started counting calories, I tend to limit my food intake in general, since I hate that 'really full' feeling and easily get really tired from over-indulging. I also just feel gross when I have too much fried stuff or sweets. I've never had a binging habit.

I think all of those habits combined make me a good candidate for having a cheat day. I don't think that everybody on this forum fits into pattern as well. If I had a binging habit, I definitely wouldn't allow myself a cheat day.
  • moonchildisme
    moonchildisme Posts: 83 Member
    My weight loss doctor said it like this to me....if you spend a whole day eating whatever you want you basically are resetting your weight loss to the beginning....how many times do you want to start over?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,134 Member
    I'm like @sapphires4me and @1Nana2many . I don't have cheat days or cheat meals. I just work in foods I love and make them fit. Some days I go over, like Christmas, Thanksgiving, birthdays etc. But I try to eat lighter before those meals and I try to eat smaller portions at those meals than I did before. I think the whole concept of "good foods" vs "bad foods" is detrimental to keeping weight off long term. I may go over on my calories occasionally, but I'm not cheating. I do realize that that works for some, but for me it does not. So far I have lost 45 pounds and I'm down to the last 15. I eat out frequently, even fast food and I still eat sweets. I just eat a lot smaller portions than I did before I started on mfp and I'm more mindful of what I'm eating.
  • FiiiiFiiiFlowerTot
    FiiiiFiiiFlowerTot Posts: 102 Member
    i have a cheat day once a week at least, and i have lost nearly 3 stone......
  • kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    I don't believe in cheat days for myself. I could easily destroy my whole week's deficit if I allowed myself whatever I wanted for one day. I do sort-of "cheat" meals. However, I tend to balance my calories for the day (have a light breakfast and lunch and leave say 1000-1200 calories for dinner) and will eat what I want. I may even go over a few hundred calories.

I find I lose control when I allow myself whatever I feel like and prefer a balance of things I like. For example, many nights I eat a serving of chips because it's in my calorie allotment and I enjoy them.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    I don't call it a cheat day or cheat meal. I just call it eating either more of something than I usually would eat or eating fast food or something that really isn't good for me but I enjoy every now and again. :)
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited May 2016
    I always find it funny when people say the "don't believe in rest days", this isn't Santa or the tooth fairy we are talking about! People have days were they like to indulge in foods that they don't eat regularly, you may choose not to or work those foods to your diet. That doesn't mean the whole theory of cheat days is fantasy, they do exist haha.

I believe in cheat days. I try to keep my weekly food consumption to what my body needs and uses, so on one of my days off, I'll eat what I fancy. Seen a new recipe, trying it, seen a new flavor ice cream, buying it. I mean i could fit all this into my daily diary, but its already maxed out with calories.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    I changed my eating lifestyle and aim for healthier stuff that I love and crave plus I cook at home a lot. So whenever the opportunity pops up to eat out or eat higher cal/fat foods of goodness, I'm on it with no regrets. I don't like the idea of following a diet or having a designated day for a cheat anything. My life is lived "food-happy" so I don't go into a food eating frenzy in one day. Well, I sometimes do with chocolate, but that's entirely a different topic. lol
  • KevinToddR
    KevinToddR Posts: 2 Member
    I'm also a member of the non-believer group. Initially, when first starting out in my journey to better health, I did engage in a certain amount of "cheating." Truth be told, cheat days or even indulging in the weekend never really set me off the track. But what I started to find is that I was using the cheat day idea to consume foods and beverages that, really, I shouldn't be eating at all and truly should not be in a healthy diet. I won't go into a big soap box rant against all things unhealthy, but the simple fact is that health and fitness really don't well correlate with toxic indulgences. Eating a piece of chocolate cake on the weekends is one thing. But using the cheat day to consume as much fast food or sugar as one pleases is risky in my humble opinion. In a lot of ways, I see myself as the fast food equivalent of an alcoholic. I'm recovering from a very unhealthy addiction to unhealthy food. For me, that means I have to stay away from those food and beverage items. What I will do is, instead of eating the cake, I'll allow myself a healthy alternative of berries with cream and sugar, or a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. You can cheat, but cheat on the cheat (if that makes sense) Instead of the McDonald's cheese burger, make a turkey/bison burger at home. Instead of a piece of cake, eat some almonds mixed with a few chocolate chips and some olive oil and brown sugar. You can indulge in the good stuff without going overboard. But for me, using a cheat day to eat whatever the heck I want would be damaging.
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    On a regular basis? No, you really shouldn't. Food shouldn't be a reward or a goal that you look forward to, that doesn't help with breaking the bad habits that got you overweight in the first place. But you're human, if you want to go out with friends now and then and get some nachos and beer, go for it, just log it.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    1Nana2many wrote: »
    I believe that if you are putting the word "cheat" into your vocabulary, you are looking at this whole thing from the wrong angle. The goal here is to have a healthier relationship with food, every day, so if you are building in a cheat, who are you cheating? When I started, I knew in order for me to succeed at weight-loss I would have to eat in a way that I could live with long term. Towards that end, I make sure I am eating foods I love every day while still staying within my calorie limit. My serving sizes are a lot smaller than before, and I don't eat nearly as much bread as I once did, but if I am going to a baby shower, for example, I eat an extra light lunch so I can have a small piece of cake and a few nuts. I don't feel cheated that way, but I stay concious of how many calories I am consuming. I don't miss that over-full feeling and I have no regrets when I step on the scale each week. Regardless of what you are eating, be a concious eater.

ALL OF THIS.

I fit everything I love into my daily calories. You're either here to be on a diet or you're here to change your life in a sustainable way.
  • adamgoleafs87
    adamgoleafs87 Posts: 129 Member
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    1Nana2many wrote: »
    I believe that if you are putting the word "cheat" into your vocabulary, you are looking at this whole thing from the wrong angle. The goal here is to have a healthier relationship with food, every day, so if you are building in a cheat, who are you cheating? When I started, I knew in order for me to succeed at weight-loss I would have to eat in a way that I could live with long term. Towards that end, I make sure I am eating foods I love every day while still staying within my calorie limit. My serving sizes are a lot smaller than before, and I don't eat nearly as much bread as I once did, but if I am going to a baby shower, for example, I eat an extra light lunch so I can have a small piece of cake and a few nuts. I don't feel cheated that way, but I stay concious of how many calories I am consuming. I don't miss that over-full feeling and I have no regrets when I step on the scale each week. Regardless of what you are eating, be a concious eater.

ALL OF THIS.

I fit everything I love into my daily calories. You're either here to be on a diet or you're here to change your life in a sustainable way.

You can't paint everyone with the same brush. Some people can follow everything strictly and have a day or a meal where they stray and get back to it with no issues.

You don't need to consider it a cheat meal however, you can still log everything, exercise portion control and still enjoy something you wouldn't necessarily eat all of the time.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    I found it easier to not have a cheat meal or day. With the amount of hiking I do, that allows me some leeway on some days to eat a little more of what I would consider indulgence. "Cheating" just sounds wrong.
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    when I started my weight loss journey, I started with the weight watchers program. I weighed in on sunday mornings and sunday dinner was my cheat meal. I did this religiously. looking forward to that cheat meal each week kept me going all week long.

I'm no longer a weight watchers member anymore.. I practice the IIFYM lifestyle -- so, as it says, I eat whatever fits my macros. my days basically consist of 80% clean foods, and 20% of whatever I want within my numbers. having great success with it!
  • Mixedcoffees
    Mixedcoffees Posts: 20 Member
    Hi. I just started my weight loss and I was wondering if there are more people like me who has a cheat day where they eat what they want?
    It really helps me keeping my focus when times are hard.

I try to buckle down until I get a breakthrough on the scale. Then if I have money, I eating something good like pizza on that day.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    By calling it a cheat day you're implying you're doing something wrong. Also calling this a diet is wrong what we're doing is a lifestyle change.

January 1st my starting weight was 288 on May 6th my current weight is 236. During that period I've been loyal to the program for 95% of the time but I've had my days where I blew my caloric budget. Went on vacation at the end of March,ate and drink too much, since I went on vacation I've dropped another 15 pounds.

This is a long journey we've all embarked on and I'm enjoying it. I like a slice of pizza or a beer every once in awhile and in my opinion there's nothing wrong with that as long as you don't do it everyday. Imagine if it's not food were talking about but a favorite TV show or an activity and you've had and had to give it up how long could you keep on doing it.