Need Advice on How to End My Day

Options
I have approx 500 calories left for the day (880 with exercise added in). Still short on my protein, but very close on my carbs. Should I go eat a can of tuna or do a protein shake to get the most protein. The protein shake will definetly put me way over on carbs. I'm trying really hard to get back on track here. I've had a very good day of eating and I just got home from the gym. I'm not real hungry but I don't want to skip out on my protein (I still need 90 for the day).

Thanks

Replies

• WinterWedding2013
    Options
    A small portion of both! :bigsmile:
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    what about peanut butter?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The protein shake will probably be best but a can of tuna is great too. Remember, it's ok to go over some days and under others as long as your week totals out. In fact, many people do this intentionally as it's called zig zag deiting. Also, eggs or chicken would be another good thing to eat. I will mention, your body can process a protein shake faster than eggs, chicken and tuna.
  • nelsonab
    nelsonab Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    So do I want it to process faster or slower with protein?
  • RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have approx 500 calories left for the day (880 with exercise added in). Still short on my protein, but very close on my carbs. Should I go eat a can of tuna or do a protein shake to get the most protein. The protein shake will definetly put me way over on carbs. I'm trying really hard to get back on track here. I've had a very good day of eating and I just got home from the gym. I'm not real hungry but I don't want to skip out on my protein (I still need 90 for the day).

Thanks

You should always get enough protein in- not only does it help build muscle and restore your body but it helps to stabilize your blood sugar.

I'm not sure what protein shakes you use but if your looking to loose weight here are two suggestions for in the future to help keep your carbs and sugar low. Both are for chocolate but I have also had vanilla and strawberry- both great :)

Complete Nutrition Smoothie - Reclaim Smart Smoothie Chocolate, 30 g (1 level scoop)
    Calories: 120 carbs: 4 sugar: 1

Dymatize Iso-100 - Protein Shake- Chocolate, 1 scoop (28g)
    calories: 106 carbs:1 sugar: 0
  • RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    O yeah, and you should drink the protein shake-
    it has amino acids and other vitamins that your body will need to recover after a workout.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I always keep some beef or turkey jerky on hand when I need some extra protein and have overdone it on carbs. The sodium is a little high, unfortunately, but it otherwise does the trick.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So do I want it to process faster or slower with protein?

Generally, if you go to bed shortly after you workout like I do, you generally want it to process more quickly. From my research whey protein can be fully processed in 1 hour. Now, if you workout and go to bed 3 or 4 hours later, you can have whatever floats your boat.